Buying a new laptop - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #71 (permalink)

Theoretically it should be OK for a netbook, but the problem is the cheapies don't usually have dedicated graphics which means the graphics card is using the RAM too and *that's* why those things are so dang slow.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #72 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

For a cheapy sounds pretty good though. Does he have to upgrade from Win 7 Starter?

I will have 8GB RAM on the next laptop and 3GB RAM on a dedicated graphics card. For me, I think 16 would be overkill but the computer board can go to 32, the OS - Win 7 Home premium can go to 16.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #73 (permalink)

Depends on use, for me that computer is almost worthless but I won't look at anything without dedicated graphics and HDMI, even netbook or ultrabook.

How much RAM is best depends on your processor. I only have 4 right now but should have 16 as I have a quad core processor so 8 threads and you want 2GB per thread.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #74 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Once you go Mac, you never go back
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #75 (permalink)

OMG I hate my Mac (and I swear it hates me)!!! I use both at work (because I support both, equally) and have very little use for over priced Mac systems.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #76 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Once you go Mac, you never go back
If I got a MAC I would have to create a Windows Partition because some of my programs dont run on Mac. One is a specialty mapping program that does not have an equivalent non Mac option.

For over twice the price I would be forced into a 15 inch screen instead of a 17 inch, one SSD or HDD ( I will be getting an SSD to run my OS and programs and an HDD for storage, with the option to add a third drive later because I opted out of an internal DVD), and less powerfrul CPU and GPU.

Not sure I am seeing the benefit......I know folks with Macs....

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #77 (permalink)
Banned

He just needs one to tinker on, I think he can do some programs at work. I agree Lies, I'd never have dreamed we'd GET it or I'd have never bid!!
But it was under $200 which I paid $198 for my Vizio tablet, so I figured, heck, it was cheap enough.
Dell doesn't make a mini any longer, either. It has a 132 gig h/d so we can load a few tunes on it for travel.
(trying to make the best of this, yanno)

Lies, I'm definitely going to hit you up when I'm ready to upgrade my XPS system!

I think it's plain windows 7, jocoyn, not a starter one? The guy who refurbed it was there last night and said he'd answer any questions we had.

It had avast pre-loaded, I was impressed. I just switched to that from AVG free...
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #78 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This is the CPU I am getting

Intel Core i7 3740QM Quad-Core 2.70GHz (3.70GHz TurboBoost), 6MB Cache

To add 8 more GB of RAM would cost $64 at the vendor but it would cost me $45 at Amazon with free shipping (Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz DDR3)--on my current laptop the RAM is easily accessible and the new one is coming with 2x4GB so it should be pretty easy to add RAM later if I find I needed it? I could check by running full out and looking at my task manager?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #79 (permalink)

That's what I do. My laptop turns three next week and I always intended on immediately upgrading from 4GB to 16GB and doing it myself (much cheaper) but three years later, I'm still plugging away with 4GB! I always order the minimum (same with hard drives) and upgrade for cheaper on my own. The only thing to take into account is how it's divided. So say I wanted to go from 4GB to only 8GB, I still need to replace both sticks because I have 2-2GB sticks and 2 slots total, if that makes sense? I want to get 2-8GB sticks but the money has always gone to more pressing things of course!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #80 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This looks like there would be no loss --- it comes with 2-4GB sticks, and the laptop can take up to either 4-4GB sticks or 4-8GB sticks. [but putting 32GB in Win 7 Home Premium would be pointless]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.