Buying a new laptop - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #61 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
SIX YEARS old........well that is the deal with our company laptops; everything I hear says 3 years on a laptop but I got mine in 2009 -AND- it was re-imaged from someone else in the company after a repair. I work for a non profit and that is the way it goes........

Corporate computers get used and abused.
Yes, that's exactly it! When my husband went to this company about 2.5 years ago his computer has been used by a road sales guy previously......it was probably on it's last legs then!
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #62 (permalink)
Elite Member

[quote=GSDElsa;2636505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksteven View Post
So i guess crashing is the norm for an HP. QUOTE]

Well, it is 4 years old and it just started that about a month or two ago. Prior to that a battery and power cord issue but nothing else. So I've been happy until now and I can't say I would expect another brand to last that long with no real service either.....
Thats funny because my battery is shot and i just ordered a replacement charger from Ebay. I just want it to last till i get my tax refund.

Mark.o
marksteven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #63 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well I took the plunge an ordered an Origin. Actually if I came up with something similar with Dell or HP the cost was actually higher than the Origin but with lesser components! The free 240GB corsair neutron SSD tipped the balance big time

Now I just don't want to hear anybody complain about $1200 for a puppy! This computer won't last nearly as long as a dog should!!!

EON17-SDetailsLaptop Platform: EON17-SLaptop Exterior: Laser Etching - Neurons The ORIGIN Difference: Truly Custom PC's. Want a component that is not on our site? Call or email us and we will include it in your system.Display Type: 1920 x 1080 17.3" FHD LED Backlit Matte DisplayCustomizable Backlit Keyboard: Customizable Backlit Keyboard Software with Three Lighting Zones and Seven Color optionsGraphic Cards: Single 3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MXORIGIN Professional Graphics Card Overclocking: ORIGIN Professional Graphics Card OverclockingProcessors: Intel Core i7 3740QM Quad-Core 2.70GHz (3.70GHz TurboBoost), 6MB CacheMemory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz (2 X 4GB)Operating System: Genuine MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit EditionOptical Drive: Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy with Bezel (Does Not Support RAID)Hard Drive One: FREE 240GB Corsair NeutronHard Drive Two: 750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy : NoneAudio: Integrated High-Definition Audio with THX TruStudio Pro and up to 7.1 Channel supportNetworking: Wi-Fi Link 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module with Bluetooth - Up to 300 MbpsSuperSpeed USB 3.0: SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PortsMedia Card Reader: Media Card ReaderFinger Print Reader: Integrated Biometric Fingerprint ReaderWeb Camera: Built-in 2.0 Megapixel Video CameraWarranty: 1 Year Part Replacement and 45 Day Free Shipping Warranty with Lifetime Labor/24-7 SupportORIGIN Recovery: ORIGIN Recovery Media

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #64 (permalink)
Banned

Well then...Merry Christmas to you!!!!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Now I just don't want to hear anybody complain about $1200 for a puppy! This computer won't last nearly as long as a dog should!!!

EON17-SDetailsLaptop Platform:
OH, so you want your puppy buyers to play for your $1700 gaming laptop?

LOL! Just kidding. I know that's not what you meant. That is a ton of money, though! I guess I'm pretty cheap when it comes to computers. You never know when the dog hair is going to get to them.

Glad you found something.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #66 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Not a breeder! I just know folks who complain all the time, expecting free dogs ore cheap dogs.....a lot of SAR folks!

Though I am not using it for gaming but the 3D map programs we use are pretty graphic intensive.

And I *wanted it* I scrimped and saved a lot raising my kids and now its my turn!

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #67 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
And I *wanted it* I scrimped and saved a lot raising my kids and now its my turn!
That looks like one awesome display.

Oh, yes, my hubby used to spend his money on computers. He liked the expensive ones, and I got the cheap ones. LOL!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #68 (permalink)
Crowned Member

yea - I know what you mean....people who whine that they JUST want a pet....but want good health, good hips and warranty - but tell you about the $500 pups in the sunday papers........and they have a 60 inch LED TV which they got as soon as they were available!

Quality costs money .....no matter what it is

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #69 (permalink)
Banned

I had to drop by and give you guys an update...
My old Inspiron just up and quit the other day, so my husband's been out a laptop.
Well, I am not quite ready to spring for a new (nice) machine so I purchased another year warranty for my Dell Studio XPS system. I'm gonna need it as it seems a pixel is out or some dirt is behind my screen.
ANYway.

So tonight we went to my daughter's Christmas concert and every year they have a silent auction to fundraise for the band.
So I went in there, and looked over the stuff. Not a lot...hardly anything "good". I usually bid on 4-5 things and everything gets overbid, so we don't end up having to pay anything much.

Tonight, there was a little refurbished Asus, of all things.
Can you tell where this is headed??

I put a bid on it, and guess what? NOBODY else bid! AT ALL! Dangit!!!

But now hubby has a little laptop he can do work and surf the web on.
ASUS - Eee- ASUS Eee PC 1015PE (Seashell)

*sigh*
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #70 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

He may get bogged down with the 1GB of RAM. Not sure.

My work computer which has 1GB RAM is Win XP Pro requiring 128MB of RAM. Win 7 requires 1GB.

Thankfully, I am getting a new one soon! The current one bogs down when I get about 6 windows open. But it can run Office 2007 and surf the web etc. So as long as he is not trying to do much multitasking......

Currently my Vista computer is using 2.5 gigs of RAM with only 4 internet tabs open and minimal background programs running. The xp computer is using all its resources using my outlook inbox, 3 Adobe documents, and 2 word documents (If I am reading it correctly - if RAM=Physical memory)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.