Buying a new laptop - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

alot of people mix up ASUS and Acer......

ASUS makes alot of machine for police use....I got a gamer special from J&R.....no matter who you buy, what brand, if there is a problem - you gotta send it back....

the problem I have with laptops is that the connection for power supply always gets loose and quits running the machine and charging the battery....at just past 12 months.....the ASUS has a 24 month warrenty....it also came with a backpack carrying case...I got the 15 inch

Have a couple of friends with them that swear by them, one has the 17 inch gamer...also bought a couple for work (desktops) and they are holding up better than the HPs....

I just returned a 14 month old Samsung with 8G ram.....liked it,,,but it went down....and Samsung was an absolute horror to work with...it went down just at 1 year...Amex and Costco BOTH offered the second year warrenty - but Samsung would not work on the machine without my credit card info....Costco refunded my money....and I bought an ASUS....the case is heavy and very very sturdy....only have had it a few weeks...but have gone through 3 Sony's a Toshiba and the Samsung in the last 7 or 8 years....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

Last edited by wolfstraum; 11-16-2012 at 02:57 PM.
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

Keep in mind for those who are not aware your credit card especially american express doubles the manufacturers warranty. So buy all electronics with an Amex. I have gotten great use out of them.
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
How does this look as an alternative

HP ENVY dv7-7230us Notebook PC | HP Official Store

Our HPs at work are pretty solidly built. I think I can get 10% off on top of this.

I just bought one of those. Well,almost that one. It looks like they changed names in the last month. But mine was a HP Pavillion DV7T model. ~$750

I also bought a similar computer 2 years ago, but I let dog hair destroy it. I noticed the fan was running a lot and saw a lot of dog hair stuck inside. Instead of taking it to somebody to fix it correctly, I used the air blower and blew the hair inside. The hair migrated to the hard drive and destroyed it. Good thing I backed up. Now I vacuum more often. Don't ask me how dog hair gets on the the dining table!

Anyway, I liked the old one and I like my new one. If you buy a stock one from Amazon.com (which I did in 2010), you receive it the next day. I had this one customized with a backlit keyboard and they built it in China. Took a couple of weeks at least.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master Member

One of the reasons I bought from HP's website is I was short on money and got free financing, no payments for 6 months, no interest, with BillMeLater. I'll have it paid off soon, though.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have the Hp dv6. So far it's held up to the heavy duty use that we have put it through.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyAway View Post
I just bought one of those. Well,almost that one. It looks like they changed names in the last month. But mine was a HP Pavillion DV7T model. ~$750

I also bought a similar computer 2 years ago, but I let dog hair destroy it. I noticed the fan was running a lot and saw a lot of dog hair stuck inside. Instead of taking it to somebody to fix it correctly, I used the air blower and blew the hair inside. The hair migrated to the hard drive and destroyed it. Good thing I backed up. Now I vacuum more often. Don't ask me how dog hair gets on the the dining table!

Anyway, I liked the old one and I like my new one. If you buy a stock one from Amazon.com (which I did in 2010), you receive it the next day. I had this one customized with a backlit keyboard and they built it in China. Took a couple of weeks at least.
how THAT was possible?

i am not picky.
i have FUJITSU-SIEMENS AH530 for a half of year now.
very simple machine,but seems to be reliable so far.
though battery life is miserably short - about two hours.

after a while fan became noisy,
but that was due to dust stuck in it,causing disbalance
and vibration.
i cleaned fan(it's easily accessible),now fan is nice and quiet.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...tml?id=1339525
hattifattener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #37 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am seriously considering the HP. The graphics is not a dedicated card as I understand.........but I think it should be adequate to meet the system requirements for mapping of having an Open GL video accelerator. When I looked it up the AMD Radeon HD 7640G is open GL 4.2 I think....

Figure I may as well have a back up plan - the old Acer is fine but it runs a bit hot and I think I need to take it in for cleaning - it is still doing fine on performance tests.

----------

As I go back in memory with Dells at work (I went through two Dells, with one of them having an out of warranty keyboard and I had to travel with a plug in (you get great stuff when you work for a non profit, hahaha.) I recall numerous issues with batteries, screens and keyboards. We actually have owned 2 personal Dell desktops and no real issues but the build quality seemed to go down over time....

I then had a compaq and two HPs for work (well I guess a compaq *is* an HP)...I have not had any issues until they just wore out - and 8 hour days, being schlepped around on business trips etc. ..... Mostly they were docked though...The old compaq ran VERY hot but it seemed to be able to survive the heat..........

The only issue I have had with the Acer (other than it running a tad hot right now) is the tech support stinks as well as the bloatware they installed.

The HP I currently have - funny story - business travel is way down so I undocked it for the first time in 6 months to go on a trip and I start typing and dust is poofing out from inside the computer. I turn it off. Turn it over shake out a lot of dirt. then start again. ........... dogs.....dust.....abuse (I telecommute from home).....but it clunks along.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
alot of people mix up ASUS and Acer......
Interesting.
But I'm not one of them if that's what you're trying to say!
I'm actually fairly "tech savvy" and know my machines!

I bought my Asus, straying from Dell, a few yrs. ago.
I was so impressed they had fingerprint swipe technology (fingerprint ID), and I needed a laptop. Yeah I'm kinda geeky that way
I loathed it. LOATHED. I forget all what went wrong, right away.

In 05/09 I sent this to the company along with the computer of course.

This laptopís optical (CD/dvd) drive has never worked since I got the computer.
It will not read cds, and burning them is out of the question.

Also since itís there, the cooling fan on the right side of the computer is very loud and Iíd like that checked as well.

Yes it had a 24 mo. warranty and I sold it after the 1st year. After the sale, the woman complained the company wouldn't fix the computer (see earlier post).
Never again.

I'll stick with Dell.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
Knighted Member

*Didn't read entire thread, but my two cents*

Mac's are SO worth the money

"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."

FB: Melina D Photography
http://www.melinadphotography.com
Melina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #40 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I agree that people love their Macs but I have no control over my work computer and it is a PC running MS Office ........ which I know inside outside upside down. so it makes sense to me to work on the same platform for my home computer.

Hahaha quess I am too old to learn a second language well. My first computer experience as an IBM Selectric connected to a mainframe that used punch cards.

The other issue is the software we use for mapping does not have a MAC version . One of our teammates had a Mac and since her father was in publishing, she was pretty good on it but we still had compatibility issues working cross platforms on documents.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.