Buying a new laptop - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Windows 7 definitely limits the options available and are selling at a premium. If I go Win 8 I can take more time to spec out what I want. YOu say you really can get around the interface? As far as compatibility, I figure SW sill have to come around. I have also ordered a Fujitsu ScanSnap sheet feed scanner .so I will have to ask there about compatibility.

I have had Dell before and they were nothing special to me - you pay for the extra support big time. Our work computers are all HPs though and they seem quite solid and dependable. [We used to have Dells and had ongoing battery issues of all types]

The Toshiba did seem flimsy in construction though and it was a low end.

The currenf Acer is actually very solid but Acer tech suppor sucks and it took me forever to deal with all the garbage. Right now I have NTI Media Maker 8 and Kespersky keeps telling me it is vulnerable but I am not sure what to do. The DVD drive on this thing has been not so great but then I don't do much with DVDs - not with external hard drives being so reasonable.

Question-in setting up the Toshiba with Win 8, I had to put in personal info which I would like to remove before packing it for return. Is there someplace I can find out how to do that?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggirl47 View Post
I actually really like my Asus laptop. My husband got it for me for Christmas last year after my Toshiba went out. Toshiba is crap and they break very easily. I used to have a Dell and hated it. I do really love my Asus though.
I am right there with you on that! I went through a toshiba and a compaq in less than a year, one problem after another until the motherboard went, and I am VERY easy on computers. My Asus has had NO problems whatsoever in over a year now.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have an ASUS for work. It's much heavier than my old Dell and had a hard time finding a bag for it. Finally took the lining out of the Dell bag and use that. So far, no crazy problems with it. Had some funky conflict between programs but that shouldn't be a problem for you since you don't run CAD programs.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Windows 7 definitely limits the options available and are selling at a premium. If I go Win 8 I can take more time to spec out what I want. YOu say you really can get around the interface?
Yes, I don't use the Metro desktop or any of the Metro apps, I use the normal desktop (set to boot to this) with Start8 start menu and my Rocket Dock (freeware dock application). In the default programs settings I have my normal programs open up file types, so for example Adobe Reader X opens PDFs, not the Metro Reader app. I haven't used the Metro interface for anything in weeks.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I just bought an Asus two months ago or so and it is fine for me. I got one with 6GB ram. So far so good, and the price was right. $500. I thought about getting a Lennovo(?) but it was $200 more and I couldn't justify that. Happy so far with my purchase and no troubles with it. I have Windows 7 and doubt I will upgrade to 8.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

How does this look as an alternative

HP ENVY dv7-7230us Notebook PC | HP Official Store

Our HPs at work are pretty solidly built. I think I can get 10% off on top of this.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master Member

I have a brand new Asus, and the hard drive started to fail in less than a week, and I can't get anyone from customer service to assist me.

DON'T DO IT.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master Member

I think an ASUS may be the only laptop that is actually what it is, an ASUS with ASUS parts. Most of the other ones like Dell,HP, etc are just put in place in a factory with all different unknown parts. The only thing that's a Dell in a Dell is the label. Try calling Dell and asking them what brand the components are. Its a fun phone call, they have no idea.

I would vote for ASUS just check the power supplies they are usually a little under what they should be.

Try the website buyxg they custom make laptops and desktops and have good prices.

Its nice to know exactly whats in your computer.
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post
I have a brand new Asus, and the hard drive started to fail in less than a week, and I can't get anyone from customer service to assist me.

DON'T DO IT.
I'm tellin' ya, they are junk. That thing spent more time in transit back to the company to fix it, than on my lap.
I sold it after just one year and the buyers couldn't get the warranty honored.

I don't care about Dell's parts, I care about when something breaks (as all computers are wont to do) they come to your house to fix it.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

I've always had Dell, will only own Dell.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.