Buying a new laptop - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
The old ones had an aluminum case too, or were advertised that way but the part of the case around the keyboard and LCD were plastic. I'm very careful about checking the computer because often if part of it or a majority is made of something they advertise it that way. My entire case is metal alloy, even between the keys on the keyboard.

I think I know what computer you are talking about, I had an Inspiron in at work last week that looked really nice, I even commented on it because Inspiron is usually their cheap, low-end line.
Yeah I know, my 1st Dell laptop was an Inspiron. I may message you to see what you'd recommend - as I value sound and graphics, but sound over graphics. I do multitask and I was confused with all the processor choices.
I have an XPS using windows 7. Not sure about the upgrade to windows 8, either.
SO much to contemplate!!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
jagg, do you have to send your computer out for repair or anything or do they come to your home?

My Dell I had to send out twice to Dell for harddrive issues. After the third time, I gave up on it.

My Toshiba had to be sent out 4 seperate times. The biggest issue I had with that one is the way it plugs in. The part at the computer breaks CONSTANTLY and it has to be sent out and the entire motherboard has to be replaced because the way the plug is configured.

I have had my Asus going on a year and have not had a single issue with it.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Low-end Toshibas are the bane of my existence! I call them To$hitba Craptops. I am working on one right this very second and would throw it out the window if I HAD a window!

msvette my HP Envy has the Beats audio card and I LOVE it! I had my BIL who produces music for a living help me get it equalized the way I like. The speakers on the laptop itself aren't that great but come on it's a laptop. I always use headphones (or connect external speakers). Right now I'm suffering because I only have cheap headphones and I was spoiled by my Beats audio and really nice cans (that SOME dog chewed!).

To be fair, the things I *don't* like about my laptop are.... poor battery life (knew this going in), little on the heavy side at 5lbs, no USB 3.0 (was not available for my build b/c of the smaller size), slot-loading disc drive (looks nice but I prefer a tray-load so I can manually eject if there is a problem or if there's no power to the computer), screen resolution (the display is really nice, good quality, but I'm not *quite* 1080). What I love is the form factor (love the alloy case, how the components are arranged, doesn't over heat/good air flow, very very easy to access components), keyboard is really nice (little to no flex, chiclet style so I don't get hair and crap under the keys, backlit), HDMI is nice (we watch HD movies off this computer all the time), Beats audio, nice size (14" but form factor is more like a 15" and it's an inch thick, so it's easy to carry around fits in my normal size purse/bag but doesn't seem fragile....I wanted a *computer* not a netbook/ultrabook). Overall I like how it looks and I like how it works, but I picked out all the components. I've had no problems in 3 years and I use this thing from 7am until midnight and it goes with me to work *every* day plus moves around the house, travels on weekends, etc.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 11-16-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Oh wow. that's what these had - and the one had skullcandy speakers!!
I'm drooling thinking of it all!

Some of them have a BOSE option (for like, $99 or so) and that excited me too.
I am just waiting to see if my computer is that badly out of date LOL I mean...I have to have some justification to buy a new computer...!

Our old Inspiron gave up the ghost. We tried to turn it on and you can hear the hd spin up but nothing else happens

OH that's what the chiclet keyboard means! Like I said, so much has changed I was like, huh...?? On some of it...
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

It's actually not a true chiclet keyboard but that's how people refer to them. Like what a MacBookPro has if you can picture that. It's not just one piece that is cheap plastic.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
It's actually not a true chiclet keyboard but that's how people refer to them. Like what a MacBookPro has if you can picture that. It's not just one piece that is cheap plastic.
I'm waiting for a virtual keyboard! So tired of a big piece of my dinner sliding under the keys and blocking my typing

But I imagine a virtual keyboard would have issues, too. Like being able to find the F and J keys to know where to type LOL
Old 11-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

Also, I've loved the touchpads on my last two HPs. I HATE textured touchpads. I don't use a mouse and rarely use keyboard shortcuts, plus with creating graphics and doing photo editing my touchpad becomes like an 11th finger, lol. When I first switched to Windows 8 I was really anxious for about a week because it took that long to get the touchpad tweaked to how I like it.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah a friend of mine mentioned that about windows 8. I'm a little concerned, and not sure about the upgrade, since I find windows 7 does pretty much what I want it to.

My touchpad has the pinch to resize capability and one day (after having all these Android phones) my son laughed at me as I touched my laptop screen and tried to pinch to resize a website!
LOL Oops.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I'm waiting for a virtual keyboard! So tired of a big piece of my dinner sliding under the keys and blocking my typing

But I imagine a virtual keyboard would have issues, too. Like being able to find the F and J keys to know where to type LOL
Wait no longer!: ThinkGeek :: Cube Laser Virtual Keyboard for iPad & iPhone
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
AWESOMENESS!!!

Isn't it insanely amazing what we can now do with computers? I remember our 486, our first Dell computer we had...and windows was brand new...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.