Buying a new laptop - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #91 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well, I get the Dell warranty but isnt that something you have to pay for, and for a god chunk of change? So it isn't for "free".

I know that they come out to your home instead of you coming back, but all the years I have had work computers, most of the diagnosis unless it is a part defect they can do over the phone. And actually, the only ones that ever actually needed defective parts replaced were the Dells.

My old work laptop is waiting replacement but it is a Compaq nc6210 and, I gather, it must be at least 4.5 years old (I actually don't know - got it in 2009 but they are known to refurb and recycle our work computers and 5-6 is where they start to replace them).

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #92 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

One the Toshiba - yes - I had it up for the better part of a day and the 60GB nobody would believe but then when they told me win 8 must have had a corrupted install but when we went to do a restore it wasn't there because there was no partition for the backup - I think someone could have grabbed an old disk when they assembled somehow.......It was up for the better part of a day and there was only one drive letter, and that was about half full..and 60GB was a standard disk size (it was obviously less than 60 on the actual disk properties)...

Though maybe something about the wonky OS made the drive size appear wrong.

That was the other thing I did not like about Win 8 was having to enter all kinds of personal info to set it up. In order to remove that info we had to wipe the computer completely [under the direction of Toshiba Tech Support - I documented THAT call]. On my own laptop, I clear everything whenever I am on the internet - no stored passwords, nothing..........and close out my browser when I am not using it.

We had a work project where we had to step out of our normal routines (my job is a desk job) because they had a huge amount of new equipment for a process change, and I had to do QC reviews of a bunch of laptops after burn in....(it was a preset checklist) and don't they do that kind of thing with new computers anymore?

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #93 (permalink)

What warranty comes standard depends on the model. Dell probably has a similar setup to HP. If you buy a high end model you get a longer warranty without having to purchase it additionally. The low end, home use models typically come with a 1 year manufacturer warranty. When I got the HP Envy that is one reason I chose the Envy over the MacBook Pro - HP offered a much better, longer base warranty and Apple Care was so expensive it was a joke.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #94 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Well, I get the Dell warranty but isnt that something you have to pay for, and for a god chunk of change? So it isn't for "free".

I know that they come out to your home instead of you coming back, but all the years I have had work computers, most of the diagnosis unless it is a part defect they can do over the phone. And actually, the only ones that ever actually needed defective parts replaced were the Dells.
This is true, I did pay $300 for it, but it's already paid for itself in the screen and the tech coming out to change it.
Plus they forgot to send my fan so he'll have to bring it out Monday. A fan isn't a big deal but the fact I already paid for this stuff means they'll just ship it out and the guy'll bring it and replace it all for us.

I really don't want to upgrade just yet so this was my short-term solution (1yr. of service).
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #95 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well, I get the Origin on Monday - some delays - the Thanksgiving sale must have been a big hit because the prices were competetive.

Anyway, in the meanwhile I am a very happy camper. I have been working on an old HP nc6210 that must have been 5 years old, with 1 gig of RAM and a duo core processor. It was overheating with air temps on the desk outside my laptop exceeding 100F and crashing 2 to 3 times a day* Just set up a new HP probook they sent me and I am impressed with the build quality.

This is not a wow you with the specs type machine by any stretch of the imagination and killing the win 7 image and putting on XP pro, well (it has to do with a lot of web based things we do plus validation on our end) ----- BUT ---- 4 gigs of ram, quad core i5 processor with integrated graphics -- this thing FLIES in comparison and I am sure will be a lot better on a better OS! Now if only we could get off IE8!!! and get them to update their server speed (VPN, my line in is over 20 MBPS, VPN sometimes throttles to 3 MBPS), and carry us over to win 7 (though I do a lot of file searches on content and XP really has the edge there-I hate the win 7 file manager and will be looking for an add on utility for my new personal computer.).

I just went to Chrome on my personal laptop and it seems a lot more stable.

*one time I logged on and it gave me the "non system disk or disk error" and there was no non-system disk. It was not making the grindy death throes some of my other laptops made before the end but.....because I don't have admin access I cant use the nifty tools to know what is really going on...they just said the old one was too old to fix.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #96 (permalink)
Banned

I tried Windows 8 in the store and it made the computer seem like a TOY rather than a work tool.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #97 (permalink)

I recently ordered a Lenovo Thinkpad X230 Tablet from a local computer store, but it hasn't come in yet. I've had Dell, HP, and Sony VAIO laptops but this will be my first Lenovo and first convertible. Hope I'm not disappointed. The guy at the store I ordered it from suggested staying with Windows 7 Pro for about a year before upgrading to Windows 8. He thinks since Windows 8 is new, it's best to wait until all the bugs are worked out of it.
Mr & Mrs Kirkley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #98 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm still considering the Lenovo G780. It's a nicely equipped machine and very reliable and rugged.

What makes me nervous though, is the terrible customer service I've read about all over the internet concerning Lenovo, and the broken promises made about delivery times.

I hope your dealer is not ordering direct from Lenovo. I would find out soon. If so, you may be waiting much longer than promised for your machine. If he is ordering locally or regionally from a warehouse the wait shouldn't be so long.

This is NOT the old IBM company by any stretch of the imagination. I always had excellent customer service from IBM in the late 90's. I've owned a Thinkpad and several Aptiva machines. Never had a days trouble with either.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #99 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

What I am going to do is buy the Win 8 licenses NOW - $39 for the Vista machine and $15 for the new windows 7 machine and cut the Operating system to disk or external drive. THEN install on the Vista machine a service pack or 2 down the line and see what I think. End of January the discount goes off.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #100 (permalink)

There's a time limit to the Windows 8 discount? I thought anyone who bought a computer with Windows 7 after a certain date could upgrade at a discount any time. I'll see if the guy at the computer shop can do for me what you're doing. Having licensed versions of both operating systems would be great
Mr & Mrs Kirkley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.