German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Huge infection from small tiny burn (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/194368-huge-infection-small-tiny-burn.html)

wyominggrandma 11-14-2012 12:17 PM

Huge infection from small tiny burn

1 Attachment(s)
So, I was pulling a hot pan from oven on Thursday night. Got a small burn, no big deal at all. Totally forgot about it. Went to work on Friday and Saturday. Sunday morning woke up and it was red and about the size of a quarter. Burning and itching, but I put some medication on it. Went to bed and on Monday morning it was a big bigger and redder, painful, but I just went ahead and cleaned it up, put on meds and went on with my day. Tuesday morning had to go to work it was now about the size of a 50 cent piece, red, blistered looking and painful.
Went to work and during the day watched as the 50 cent piece got bigger and the edges of the circle starting moving down my hand onto my wrist and across my hand. Decided to go to Insta care and they sent me to emergency room. Seems I now have a massive infection, celuitis under the skin... IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and have to watch it closely to see if the redness keeps growing or starts going away.
Have to go to work today, so its wrapped, gloved and painful. what a mess, all from a simple tiny burn.

Stevenzachsmom 11-14-2012 12:20 PM

Oh my goodness!!! You poor thing. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Hugs!
Jan

kiya 11-14-2012 12:22 PM

Wow I wonder why it got infected? Just like you I always brush off things like that. Hope it gets better fast.

Sunflowers 11-14-2012 12:25 PM

Omg! :eek:
Those things can get out of hand so fast when you least expect it.
I hope you're not in too much pain and that it goes away quickly.

msvette2u 11-14-2012 12:25 PM

Ouch!
Um, hate to state the obvious, but as a vet tech, you didn't realize it was becoming infected when it grew?

apenn0006 11-14-2012 12:26 PM

Should've let your dog lick it :) I hate when minor inconveniences turn into big deals. Last year my mom had a spider bite on her upper lip that turned into staph that wouldn't go away. She ended up having to go in for intraveneous antibiotics.

wyominggrandma 11-14-2012 12:32 PM

Yea, I did, but was just hoping it would resolve itself. I hate going to doctors and I hate feeling sorry for myself. I didn't want to make a big deal of it.
I am sure it got infected from one of the dogs or something from work.
Am hoping this doesn't turn into a staff infection, this one is a mess already.

jang 11-14-2012 12:35 PM

Wow...that looks painful!!! Who would have thought something that happens like that all the time would get so bad..I hope you are feeling better soon and it gets no worse...

Liesje 11-14-2012 12:57 PM

Ouchie! Glad you are getting the right meds now. I get staph infections a lot. My Dr. says my body acts "allergic" to certain staph bacteria that are normally found on human skin (not dangerous stuff like MRSA) but for some reason my body wigs out about it. Often I get staph infections just from a little pimple. When I had the dog bite I had to pull out the stitches early, not because the *bite* was infected (it was fine) but my body was waging war on the stitches. I hate taking antibiotics but sometimes it's the only solution. Luckily mine have all been treatable before needing IVs.

Shade 11-14-2012 01:01 PM

Ouch! Doctors and nurses and the like are always the worse patients ;)

I hope it clears up soon, that looks really painful :(