Husband was in Car Accident - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Husband was in Car Accident

He is okay. He was very lucky. Three weeks after coming back from deployment, he went to work two hours early and got hit by a Dodge Ram. Needless to say our Jeep Compass has some major damage and the body shop isn't sure if it's totaled or not.

If they give us a call to pick up our things, today, we know it's totaled. I almost wish it was totaled because that would make things go a lot faster and easier for us and who knows, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Our car would be paid off and we'd get a 1000 towards a new/used car plus the per diem on top would give us a downpayment for two used cars.

That being said, right now I'm stuck at home, which sucks. I missed training this weekend and especially now, where things go so well, I don't want to miss too much training.

Is it bad that I wish for a totaled car?
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh no!! So glad that your husband is okay, but I'm sorry you're going through this. I can understand why you'd be hoping for a totaled car, though. The logic of it makes sense to me. Sending good thoughts your way, hope everything works out in the end and gets resolved quickly!

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

glad that he's ok! that is always the important part. Things can be repaired or replaced, people not so much!
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Glad he is ok! Is he still in military???

Start reseaching your vehicle's value.....go to KBB.com and Autotrader.com and find as close a match as you can....the insurance company will ALWAYS lowball the value....you have the right to negotiate the value....on my Eclipse, they started off offering me $2600 + tax...... I ended up with $4997.50 + tax....I found comparable models and insisted on dealing with the adjuster's supervisor.

Another issue is fault - if the other driver is at fault, then your adjuster is spending HIS insurance money, not his employer's money.....the first adjuster did not realize that, the supervisor made the comment during a conversation that the other guy took full responsibility for the accident and his property insurance was $5000 - state minimum.....so with the 2 cars I found online for sale, I got their average (4995 and 5000, hence the 4997.50).

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Glad he is ok. I never had a car totalled - is the payoff plus the 1000 part of your insurance policy or state law? I thought they just paid book value.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"Book value" can vary widely! They used to use 3 "books" and average them to establish value. Now with the internet is so much easier to negotiate a value....it used to be you had to go through newpaper ads to establish price if you did not like the book value.....I had a Camero that was stolen 4 times....the final time it was recovered the insurance company totalled it, and after much discussion - they simply replaced it with a somewhat improved model! More options, less mileage...and arranged to have my loan transferred.....I had a Firebird that was stolen, and had to negotiate that one, and the Santa Fe that was hit from behind they gave me more than I expected, so I just took it.

LOL I have had too much experience with totaled cars!!!

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm glad your husband is okay, but don't feel bad about wishing for a totaled vehicle. I always wish for a totaled vehicle. Trying to resell a vehicle that has been in a major accident is hard, and even when it's fixed sometimes it's never the same.

Plus here we only have one insurance company that is owned by the province that everyone has to buy from and they seem to be incredibly generous. They always gives us more than what we paid for the vehicle, whether we bought it used or brand new. My husband bought a brand new truck from a dealership a few years ago and his brother totaled it a few months after he bought it. Insurance gave him $2000 more than what he paid at the dealership!
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Glad he is ok. I never had a car totalled - is the payoff plus the 1000 part of your insurance policy or state law? I thought they just paid book value.
No, it's the GAP insurance via our financial institution that approved us for the car loan.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
Glad he is ok! Is he still in military???

Start reseaching your vehicle's value.....go to KBB.com and Autotrader.com and find as close a match as you can....the insurance company will ALWAYS lowball the value....you have the right to negotiate the value....on my Eclipse, they started off offering me $2600 + tax...... I ended up with $4997.50 + tax....I found comparable models and insisted on dealing with the adjuster's supervisor.

Another issue is fault - if the other driver is at fault, then your adjuster is spending HIS insurance money, not his employer's money.....the first adjuster did not realize that, the supervisor made the comment during a conversation that the other guy took full responsibility for the accident and his property insurance was $5000 - state minimum.....so with the 2 cars I found online for sale, I got their average (4995 and 5000, hence the 4997.50).

Lee
Yes, he still is in the military. We'll find out in January whether he stays in or not.
We are insured via USAA and have GAP on top of that via our financial institution. The Gap would give us a 1000 dollars on top of what we would get from the insurance company if I didn't get that wrong. At least that is what our financial insitution told us.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am glad that your husband is ok. That is the most important thing.

You are correct for wishing for a totaled car. If the vehicle is not totaled you will have a seriously reduced value, dirty car fax, and possible (depending on your state laws) a branded title. You are always better off when your car is totaled. That is, of coarse, if you, in fact, are in a positive equity situation. Even if you have a little bit of negative equity, count it as a blessing if they total your car. A dealer can tell if a car has been wrecked from a mile away and will use it against you when you go to trade.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.