What do YOU do... - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
As you get older it becomes more like a vacation for both and you enjoy it Sorry thats all I got

P.S. I would be the perfect wife for an over the road trucker
LOL!
Hubby and I agree - it's like a 'vacation' for both. (We are older too.)
I'm the one who usually goes away...he's doesn't mind and hates to travel anyway.
So, he stays home with the dogs and they like being spoiled!

Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

I'm not married but my fiancé and I have been together for over five years. When he's away I get so lonely.. Mostly at night. We work opposite schedules a lot, so I'm already in bed when he gets home, etc. he's considering joining the navy and then I know I'll really be sad! But if it's what he really wants, then I'm willing to support him.

Once he joins and is gone a lot, I plan on keeping myself busy with work and the animals. I also will probably try to spend a lot of time with friends, etc. I must be different because I really enjoy being around Sean all the time. No, we don't have to be together constantly, but I look forward to spending quality time with my baby.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Bella Von Sanders - Sable GSD - 04-21-12
Mocha, Josie, & Siri - three VERY spoiled house cats
dgray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master Member

I've been with my husband for 7 years and I'm fine with him being away for a night, beyond that I get anxious. I have been away on a few weekend trips without him and its always good to come back home and see him.

But I understand when people say they need space. I need my own downtime on a regular basis. He putters around in his garage to relax. I'm on the computer, watch tv, read or make toys for/hang out with my birds to relax.

As you get older and have been together for a longer period of time, it gets easier to be apart for a short period of time. If I was apart from my husband for a month though, I would go nuts. In his first marriage my husband used to work away from home for 8 weeks and only have a few days home at a time. I told him early on I wasn't interested in a marriage like that. I like him to be home every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

I really think that how you feel about time apart depends on the dynamics of the relationship and you and your partners personalities, not how long you have been dating/married or how "mature" your relationship is.

Also, some people marry because they love the person, and they are friends, but not crazy in love. I know many couples that are more companions than soulmates, and if it works for them, that is fine.

I would never judge someone else's relationship because everyone is happy from different things.

Some people never stop being crazy in love. Some people never were crazy in love from the first place. Some people go in and out of it.

With him being a police officer, I never know when our last day together may be, so I treat every day as if it were the last and love to my fullest.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzver View Post
I've been with my husband for 7 years and I'm fine with him being away for a night, beyond that I get anxious. I have been away on a few weekend trips without him and its always good to come back home and see him.

But I understand when people say they need space. I need my own downtime on a regular basis. He putters around in his garage to relax. I'm on the computer, watch tv, read or make toys for/hang out with my birds to relax.

As you get older and have been together for a longer period of time, it gets easier to be apart for a short period of time. If I was apart from my husband for a month though, I would go nuts. In his first marriage my husband used to work away from home for 8 weeks and only have a few days home at a time. I told him early on I wasn't interested in a marriage like that. I like him to be home every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
That is how I'm feeling lol! One night, sure. I don't mind lol. But a month is a long time to me. He'll be gone on Thanksgiving, and I'm not even in my own home lmao!
Regardless, I'm getting some great ideas on how to spend my time while he is gone.

Emiroxy- I see what you're saying. Matt and I are the "crazy need you now" types. He's been texting me all day, homesick. And he JUST got there this morning (he left Wednesday, but they took their time getting there).
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have never been away longer than a week, and that was to visit family out of state. A few times my husband went on a business trip 2-3 days, and I usually repaint a room or two in my home. I've had to work while he was gone.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am working 8-12, 2-6 every day except Tuesday for the next two weeks. But after that I'll be working Sunday, Monday and Wednesday those same hours. So I'll have a lot more time on my hands the last two weeks of him being gone.

And I seem to accomplish things ridiculously quickly, so
Nights are the worst though, until I'm asleep.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My husband having to go to work is hard enough, I'd probably end up with like 10 more dogs and 30 more birds if he was gone for a month. My last two birds are the result of him taking up golf with his dad one summer and me hating it too much to want to play with them.

I'm clingy ! Actually we're both really clingy, so it works out well.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My husband is a former U.S Marine.. I spent approximately a year without seeing him at one point while he was stationed in Hawaii... me in Canada. It was miserable. We skyped and talked on the phone daily when he wasn't sent off somewhere for field training. I had college at the time, and that helped. I also spent tons of time at the humane society working with the troubled dogs, so it kept me distracted. Keeping busy was all that kept me from breaking down from stress and heartsoreness. :P

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

I sleep. Cuddle lots with the dogs. Clean the house, read books and work the dogs a lottttttttttttttt!

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.