kitchen sub floors construnction ??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default kitchen sub floors construnction ???

My house was built in 86'.

My kitchen floor has 2 levels of ply wood, one is 1/4" thick and the other on top of it is 1/2" thick. After doing a tiny bit of reading I found that kitchen subfloors are supposed to be really thick? The problem is that the 1/2 " plywood doesnt go under the cabinets so it causes a HUGE problem when taking the dish washer out for repairs or replacement. We already messed up one floor moving it once, I would really like to prevent that in the future with this new floor. I have no idea what to do to be honest.

I was going to have the contractor remove the 1/2" ply wood but if its going to cause some sort of structural problem I would really rather not remove it, but if its not going to then thats the first thing hes going to do. This all starts first thing tomorrow morning 11/8/12 9 am so I really have to get it together and know what I want/am doing.

My husband isnt really involved in this remodel so if there is a fail, its completely on me.

Advise would really be helpful, thanks.
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why don't you just add a 1/2" piece on top of the existing 1/4" piece under the dishwasher so that it is level with the rest of the floor?

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I cant because on top of that dish washer is my counter. If I do that then the dish washer wont even fit under there.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

AAAHHHH The joys of trying to fix one thing only to have it mess up something else.

My opinion? Get a contractor to fix it (a reliable one LOL!) I attempted to level the floor in the basement and I have NO clue how I ended up doing it wrong - I followed all the instructions to a TEE ... but I ended up costing myself over $10,000 to have someone come in and take up what I had done, then level the floor and move stuff around. It was a nightmare.

I'm pretty good at DIY stuff (have built furniture that is still standing, fixed plumbing, electrical, etc. so I had a good idea what I was getting in to. Just didn't realize there were more problems beneath the surface.

Good luck in which ever decision you choose!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Does the dishwasher have feet you can raise or take off?

At my parents we had an icky linoleum type floor. My dad did not want to deal with taking that all off so he found hardwood he could install himself over top (he comes from a line of contractors and has done this sort of work himself so he's beyond a normal DYI-er). If he installed the hardwood below the dishwasher it would not fit under the counter, but he didn't want to *not* have a complete floor. He ended up sawing the little feet off the appliance which gave him the fraction of an inch clearance he needed. Since then the dishwasher has been replaced so it's a good thing he did the floor right and modified the dishwasher rather than the floor.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Does the dishwasher have feet you can raise or take off?
Yes, most (all?) dishwashers have adjustable feet.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would NOT take out the 1/2 playwood. THe place I'm renovating has to floors redone and the contractors are telling me they need 3/4 plywood subfloors. Of course, this is hugely expensive since the original builders invented any shortcut that didn't exist and put down particle wood instead of plywood. That little wrinkle added $9000, plus two weeks, plus resulted in me NOT being able to put Pergo in the house. You may have heard my primal screaming.

Jelpy
Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

PRAISE GOD HALLELUJAH! I dont know what these people were thinking/doing when they built this house. We have 3/4" sub-floor apparently what they did next was cover the subfloor with ply wood. I believe thats for adding tile which never was added. So strange.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey at least it's not my kitchen! My floor *is* the subfloor! Our house is really old and according to my dad our floors are pine and that's all there is. Oh it has "character" all right but I don't know what we'll do when it's time to replace it. You can kind of see it in this pic.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

There has to be something between the pine wood and the slab or whatever you have. If not wouldnt all the water from snow etc cause a LOT of problems?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.