Reaching out - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
no Zeeva, you are not sure many of us suffer from depression. please
get professional help, please.
This falls under the category of "if you don't have anything nice to say..."

-She is already seeking professional help

-Many of us have had threads about depression before (which she has been involved in, as well as many others who have posted on this thread), as well as PMs between members, etc

-Depression is actually very common, especially this time of year, and is extremely under-reported. The anonymity of the internet makes it easier for people to talk about it. The umbrella of "seeking help" does not only include professional help but also a social support system. You really need both...the best shrink in the world won't help if you don't have someone in a social network to talk to. Also, even while seeing a professional, you will still have bad days.

-This is supposed to be a support thread, where members who DO suffer from depression can talk about what helps, lend an ear and an idea. YOU are NOT being supportive or helpful or empathetic, you're being patronizing.

Last edited by LoveEcho; 11-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
no Zeeva, you are not sure many of us suffer from depression. please
get professional help, please.
That was really uncalled for.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you guys are taking doggiedad's post wrong. He's really blunt. But I'm not reading his post as being nasty. I'm reading it as a plea for her to seek professional help.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Long Island Medium!
Not to change the subject, but I am very skeptical about people. My friend (a totally trust worthy person) told me a story about a woman she knows that lost 2 children. Before her son passed he wanted her to contact the LI Medium, she blew it off and told him you contact her for me if you want. Well after he passed she was at work serving tables when the crew & the medium came in for lunch. She was overcome by this strange aura/sensation and got really upset because the medium didn't even acknowledge what she was feeling. They all left. This woman was very upset and angry because her son was sure she should have contacted her about the daughter that passed. A few minutes later the owner of the restaurant came up to her and said to give her tables to the other server, the medium had come back and wanted to see her. She told her things no one could have known and messages from her 2 deceased children. I got chills how my friend told the story.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #25 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenzisMom View Post
That being sad, I have been attempting to change my thinking patterns. I tend to be a very negative thinker. This is going to sound silly but I started telling things I Love them. A pretty tree, a squirral, the moon, a pretty picture, anything I liked I silently said I love you. I started doing this for 5 minutes a day and now I'm always looking for something to love. Sounds silly crazy and yes, maybe a little stupid. However I think my next lesson in life is supposed to be how much love can heal.
THIS is SO IMPORTANT ... and not silly at all!

Many many many moons ago I left a very abusive relationship. While in counselling my therapist told me that I had to look in the mirror every day for 2-3 minutes and tell my body and mind that I loved it.

Let me tell you, those first couple of months were SUPER hard. How could I love a body that was covered in bruises / scrapes / scratches / scars ...?How could I love a mind that had let me "get to where I was and not leave"?

The journey to loving yourself and things around you is NOT easy. In today's society and "body criticism done by everyone, including yourself", loving yourself is really hard ... but like Shenzismom stated ... start small ... You'll be amazed when one day you realize ... you really do LOVE being alive, awake and feeling things
Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
Not to change the subject, but I am very skeptical about people. My friend (a totally trust worthy person) told me a story about a woman she knows that lost 2 children. Before her son passed he wanted her to contact the LI Medium, she blew it off and told him you contact her for me if you want. Well after he passed she was at work serving tables when the crew & the medium came in for lunch. She was overcome by this strange aura/sensation and got really upset because the medium didn't even acknowledge what she was feeling. They all left. This woman was very upset and angry because her son was sure she should have contacted her about the daughter that passed. A few minutes later the owner of the restaurant came up to her and said to give her tables to the other server, the medium had come back and wanted to see her. She told her things no one could have known and messages from her 2 deceased children. I got chills how my friend told the story.
Tracey Bray in KC is the real deal too.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have my days too. Sometimes if I'm not proactive to get out of it, it can turn into a bad few days or week. When I'm down in the dumps either I HAVE to get out of the house... or I have to stay in and just "recharge".

I play with the dogs, or go on a bike ride. We train or go on a "socialization outing". I talk to friends and family, see how everyone's doing. Makes me feel good to here everyone's voice. I visit family. My SO and I go out and get dinner or see a movie, go bowling, or shoot some pool. Anything to keep my mind and body busy.

When I just want to stay in.... a good movie or show, and a snack does the trick. I stay away from anything sad or scary though. I keep it upbeat, like a comedy or some good dramas. I also like to listen to music and edit pictures & videos, draw, and when I had my instruments here... I'd mess around with them for a bit.

Hopefully you are feeling better today!
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
I don't even care if it's real or if she's legit but the show is rather cathartic, just having people be honest with their grief and expose how they really feel (a lot of them are dealing with extreme guilt, or anger towards someone that passed). Even if she's a total quack I don't think it hurts to help people bring these feelings to the surface and take some weight off their shoulders.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #29 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Be who you are and say what you feel,
Because those that matter, don't mind
and those that mind...don't matter
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbytes View Post
be who you are and say what you feel,
because those that matter, don't mind
and those that mind...don't matter

i love that!!!!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.