Should There Be An Age Requirement To Run Marathons? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

I should say that personally I don't think I'd let a girl of that age train to the level of marathons based on what I know about joints and growth plates from gymnastics, but again I think that should be the parents' decision and not some blanket mandate. If I ever have a daughter that's a high level gymnast I will have some limits to the training (not just the amount of time in the gym, but how the training is being done with regard to a growing body), just knowing what I know from my experiences.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think these kids will be fine, but I won't be encouraging my kids to run those kind of distances at that age. I see many young kids whose parents overly encourage them to run or do any sport and end up burned out before high school. Mental burnout- not physical burnout is more of a concern for me. If it is the kids initiative and the parents are only being supportive- go for it.

I believe kids- especially girls- are more likely to suffer long-term injuries playing sports like soccer or basketball, than running. Especially ACL injuries for girls. I also think childhood obesity is a MUCH greater concern than a few young kids running marathons. Additionally, kids in Kenya routinely run back and forth to school covering up to 20 miles or more a day. They seem very healthy in general and are world-beaters in distance running.

Just like in dogs, physical build and ability of a child will also play a large role in their ability to cope with high level athletic pursuits. An athletic breed like an Alaskan husky or malinois will probably be fine running distances as a younger pup (I've seen 9 month olds run the Iditarod) but a heavier dog like a mastiff would suffer long-term physical effects if it could even run those distances.

I love to see people get involved in running as young kids and enjoy it for the rest of their lives. It is an inexpensive, accessible and healthy sport for many people. I'd personally like to see the kids running 5 Ks but, if they are enjoying a marathon, that's fine with me.
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

I don't think a 10 year old running a marathon is really comparable to saying kids need to get out and play sports more. I totally agree that it's important for kids to be active but I do think that there are extremes. I've seen young girls suffer through growth plate problems caused by repetitive pounding that comes with over training at a certain age and it's painful to watch let alone go through. My brother used to run when he was in elementary school and he loved it, but training for a 5K or even 15K is not the same as marathons.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 11-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If I had a child (I don't) I would also be more than a little hesitant to allow that volume of running. 10 or 12, that is very young. At that age it is hard to know if the child is doing it because he or she wants to, or if she is doing it because he or she is trying to please someone else. I think a couple more years of mental maturity might be better, I think a 14 year old has a better grasp of his/her own mind and motivations.

That being said, I don't think there should be an age restriction. I think the percentage of kids that age being willing and able to train for that is very, very low and not really an issue. I would question the parents who allow their kids to do it, but I would not impose a ban on it.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yikes, that's young for a marathon. I don't think there needs to be restrictions if a race doesn't want to have them, but marathons take a toll on your body. All runners I know who have been doing it seriously since high-schoolish age have jacked up knees and/or ankles. I'm all for a healthy lifestyle, but that is kind of pushing it for that age I think. should be a happy medium between being in shape and putting that kind of wear and tear on a 10 year olds body.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think as long as the parents are active and engaged in the process, meaning they are educated enough to monitor their children and know if there are issues, it is fine. I started on the cross-country team in public school and into high school, I never had the endurance to go beyond the 5k. I started skating at 5 and took my Gold Dances at 16, I have a bit of damage in my one leg from landing jumps in freestyle and am a bit bitter kids today don't have to qualify with figures , but other than that, and it's a defect not a injury related issue.

But I say that with a far different philosophy on sports then others. I think there should be fighting in hockey, I think kids must be active on team sports in school and in the community - even if they suck. I think parents should be active as well, there were nights my old body creaked and groaned getting out of the car from ball, and maybe DD didn't understand now, but in time I hope she comprehends that you don't miss games, you play hurt and you go out to win every time.

As long as the parents are involved, the children are healthy enough to do the marathons, they have actual doctors, not some of the fast serve in and out in a minute speed practitioners who are monitoring them. My hat is off to them! I will probably never be conditioned enough to run a marathon, 5ks here or there, riding a bike. Different strokes for different folks, I think becoming active physically early teaches wonderful lessons. I should probably shut up now, you are all probably picturing some crazy hockey mom who would shoot her own kid up with cortizone for a chance at the big leagues - and there are days I'm glad I had a girl, because I could see it too.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

If they were an older kid and an avid runner then I would allow it (at least 12). if you have 16 year olds sailing boats around the world then a 12 or 13 yr old running a marathon isnt unheard of. I would like the parents to participate with their child but if not and the kid seems mature enough to run it, why not.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't see an issue with it. My oldest son (11) and I are currently training for the Seattle to Portland bike ride next year. He turns 12 2 days after the ride ends. It is a 2 day, 200 mile bike ride. I would rather have my son do this than sit around playing video games all day.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
Yikes, that's young for a marathon. I don't think there needs to be restrictions if a race doesn't want to have them, but marathons take a toll on your body. All runners I know who have been doing it seriously since high-schoolish age have jacked up knees and/or ankles. I'm all for a healthy lifestyle, but that is kind of pushing it for that age I think. should be a happy medium between being in shape and putting that kind of wear and tear on a 10 year olds body.
I agree. For those that are just OK with it in general because it's better than being lazy, are you aware of what repetitive pounding can do to young joints and growth plates? This forum seems very conservative as far as what people recommend for exercising young puppies but it is OK for little kids? This is not the same as saying kids should play more sports, be healthier, play outside more, etc. Running around the block or doing some 5Ks is not the same. It's like trying to compare kids taking gymnastics to kids that are Level 10 or Elite level gymnasts, there's just no comparison to a kid doing gymnastics a few times a week to a kid training 8 hours a day.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I agree. For those that are just OK with it in general because it's better than being lazy, are you aware of what repetitive pounding can do to young joints and growth plates? This forum seems very conservative as far as what people recommend for exercising young puppies but it is OK for little kids? This is not the same as saying kids should play more sports, be healthier, play outside more, etc. Running around the block or doing some 5Ks is not the same. It's like trying to compare kids taking gymnastics to kids that are Level 10 or Elite level gymnasts, there's just no comparison to a kid doing gymnastics a few times a week to a kid training 8 hours a day.
I strongly support what you have written. Prior to doing any of this extreme competition, these families should at least have a consult with an orthopedic physician and be aware of the risks further down the line. My husband totally regrets his dirt bike riding days as a youth. His knees have been so painful as an adult.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.