Toddler Killed by Painted Dogs - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks for clarifying that. Sorry... I'm quite out of it right now.

This story is awful...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

It is terrible. I have kind of a fear of heights and still bothers me for people to get to close to edge of something. So sorry for the child, total trust and innocence.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As a mother I'd have to say that I have never allowed my child or any child that is in my care to be on a railing like that. I have walked away when I seen other people do that. As much as I hate when people do this, I don't think I've seen anyone have their child standing on the railing, sitting and being held tight yes(this scared me), but never standing. This had to be horrifying to watch and I feel sick when I think about it.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

the toddlers mother placed him on a railing along the fence.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

IMHO the police would not send homicide investigators to interview if they believed it were purely accidental. Anyone remember Susan Smith? People, even mothers are capable of the most horrific things. *shudder*

My heart aches and I hope that little boy did not suffer. I'm sick even thinking about it.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not everyone is a hero. If this was tigers or lions or polar bears, how many people would jump in to save the toddler. I play with the idea that I could be such a hero, but I doubt it. And especially if I saw zoo personnel right there, I would think they might have something and maybe be trained in some way to best deal with such a situation.

Poor baby. What a massive fail on the part of the parent. This is why all the whoop-la concerning child endangering by the crocodile hunter. And if you watch Fatal Attractions, and you see people's wild pets killing people, I don't know, while it is a terrible tragedy, it should have been foreseen by the parent and guarded against.

I grew up in Cleveland, and often I was at the zoo without adults, probably from age four to ten. I think the zoo there is very safe, but it is a large zoo probably with a large budget. The Erie Zoo in PA is a small zoo. I was there about 20 years ago. I cannot really comment much about the quality of the protection and enclosures, but it would make sense that they would not be as likely to afford the same type of enclosures as the larger zoos have. I have never been to the Pittsburg Zoo, but my guess is it would be somewhere in between Erie and Cleveland in how much support and money they have to make enclosures.

While I don't think the zoo is at fault, the mother was at fault, I think the attitude is disturbing. I mean making railing such that there is a likelyhood that children would be rested there, angling them so that they would be likely to fall back instead of in, and then having a net that is open enough so that the child was able to bounce into danger. And when all their methods did fail, the attitude is that it is impossible to be failsafe. I just don't know.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #37 (permalink)

What a terrible tragedy....one that could have easily been avoided.

I an a mother of 2 young kids and also care for children aged 0-5 as a living and when I hear stories like this it makes me sick.

Maybe I watch too many "I shouldn't be alive,I;'m alive,fatal attraction type shows but I tend to err on the side of caution when I am around animals, especially wild ones with my kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.