trying to find a place in jax, fl.. ugh - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

Default trying to find a place in jax, fl.. ugh

So, if my boyfriend doesn't get into the University of FL we are going to move to jacksonville, fl so he can go to the University of North Florida
we will know in about 2 weeks.
I start my clinical rotations in january that will last until august and if he doesnt get in i will try and get some of my rotations switched to hospitals in jax. i already am going up there for 1 rotation
i have been searching online for apartments with absolutely no luck
i read one place that only 4 apartment complexes in jax do not have breed restrictions.. and after 2 hours of searching.. im starting to believe it.

i have seen some of the dumbest things

one complex said "due to the fact that some breeds do not thrive as well in apartment communties therefore we cannot allow the following breeds or mixes"-- whhhaaatttt?

and certain complexes do not allow huskie or german shephards..

i have a german shepherd.. do i count? (i know i do )

some give a list of breeds and then go on to say that this list isnt inclusive and more restrictions may apply- why not just put all the restrictions out there.

this is going to be harder than i thought.
if anyone knows of a place. please let me know
until then i will continue my search
are houses more likely to allow dogs or is it just as hard?
for the amount of money we are paying for an apartment im sure i could find a nice house with a backyard... plus id like to get a puppy end 2013 beginning 2014
ugh... sorry for the rant
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Honestly, I would look at renting a house. They tend to be around the same price as most of the apartments there, sometimes even less. What area are you looking at? I grew up in Jax.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

im not quite sure yet, lol... im doing a rotation at Baptist Medical center..
but looking hopefully at getting a job at Memorial Hospital, Wolfsons, Baptist, Mayo clinic, i know they have a shands up there as well.

bottom line, wherever i get a job, i am going to need to be between 30-45 minutes away (30 but some places are okay with living 45 minutes away) from my job because i will be doing on call work week nights and weekends.
i will know more in a few weeks, and if we are going to move up there, i would like to go up and visit, and try and have my rotations switched to memorial and wolfsons.
im just trying to get an idea of any place that allows GSDs just in case.
i know its 10 months away, but i dont want to wait till the last minute because starting in january i will be working 40 hrs a week for free, and studying for my registry test i know i wont have much time to find places.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why don't you call a rental finder company and tell them what you are looking for? That's how I found most of my places. Also, be careful where you live. SOme areas are pretty rough. I love it there, but you have to be careful in some places.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh, and Wolfson Children's Hospital is excellent. Even I had surgery there as a kid. They have fantastic doctors.

At the rainbow bridge:
Old 11-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

That is an excellent idea I will definitely try that.
Thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'll just throw out there the suggestion to ask the rental agencies if they are willing to amend the restrictions...assuming you can show that you have a well-behaved dog. Tell them you would love to have them meet your dog and throw out there whatever training he has completed. I had to go out of town for 2.5 months and the apartment complex I was put up at had breed restrictions. To make a long story short, the company made an exception for Kaiser (even though he was a puppy) and were more than willing to take an extra $450 pet deposit (non-refundable) for him. I realize more often than not you will get a big, fat, N-O as an aswer...but you may get a few "yes"s too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

Well the problem is with her she is great outside around people now. Doesn't bark, lunge, growl or act aggressively to anyone or any dog. But she doesn't like to be pet by people. She will back away and if someone stares her down in the eyes she will bark and back away. To me, we have come so far but if people can't pet her than she basically is not friendly. We've taken novice OB, advanced OB, and open OB we almost had our cgc but she whinned to much on the leave the owner for 3 minutes.
We did a meet and greet here and she let the apartment manager pet her and we passed and yesterday at the pet store she let a woman pet her while we were talking but she was busy sniffing her dog..
I don't think we would pass because she doesn't like to be pet
Old 11-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you move into an apartment, get a vest that states do not pet. That may help.

At the rainbow bridge:
Old 11-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I second looking for a rental house. Dealing directly with a homeowner/landlord is a lot easier. I would not waste time trying to get any exemption from a property manager. Normally they have no control over these things and sometimes they give exemptions that the actual management company may not honor if they found out. I like to do everything by the books so I went the route of renting a duplex and my dogs were in the lease agreement. I offered the landlord $100 additional deposit per pet and he agreed immediately. At one point we had three cats and three dogs so that was $600 in pet deposits. We did have to pay for a few things he wanted to fix when we moved out but still got a lot back.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.