My cat has a paw injury - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default My cat has a paw injury

Last night I noticed that one of my cats was limping. His paw was wet and I thought he'd stepped in some water or some pee so I washed it. Sometimes when their paws are wet they won't put it on the ground to allow it to dry so I didn't think much of it. But when I checked on him this morning his paw smelled really bad (what's up with that), seemed lame almost, and was watery. Infection? I dunno what's going on. He doesn't flinch if I touch it. My poor love. He's always so sickly...

Do you think I can handle it on my own? Can I open it up, drain the puss, keep it clean, let it breath and will everything be alright? Or is a vet visit in order? Frankly I'm opting for a vet visit (is there some place cheaper I can go to like a clinic?) but has anyone dealt with a problem like this on their kitty?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would take him to the vet. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable draining a wound on my animals.Most places do have clinics,but their hours may be varied on the weekends. You should call around to see who is open today. I would definitely take him to the vet though.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would go to a vet. If it smells bad and he's lame he probably needs meds.

btw...good luck today! Hope you enjoy it!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Yes, take you cat to the vet. Cats will often hide their pain. I'd be very concerned about the bad smell and the lameness.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm sorry that you're cat's ill. Poor kitty. I'd take him in to see the vet too. I hope everything works out ok for him and it's nothing serious.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks you guys

I did take him to the vet. Found a coupon for a free checkup on the internet which was nice (lllombardo if you ever need one, I can show you how to get it! They take dogs as well and the vet was very understanding/concerned/caring. Receptionist was also great which is generally rare at vets' clinics). Got an antibiotic injection, some cream and the paw throughly cleaned. The vet said it was a burn (err?). I retraced where he normally hangs out but couldn't find any indication of how that bad of a burn could've injured my little guy :c. I'm thinking sometimes he does like to hang out under the tile on the ceiling and since there are electrical cords there...? We also recently had our furnace replaced but I dunno.

Of course I'll be checking his paw several times a day to make sure it's healing properly as well as applying the cream. Vet said his ears need to be cleaned. Oddly enough I've noticed some of my cats shaking their heads. I've some ear cleaning solutions so they'll all have squishy squashy ears soon enough...With being left in the car in their kennels and administrating ear cleaning stuff, they sure do hate me sometimes :c

I'm happy to have gotten out of the house today even if it was for vet visit. The doggies cried a lot when I left but when I got back they were simply sleeping in their kennel/crate.

My volunteer work is scheduled for next Saturday. Found out when I got in my car today after checking my email for directions...so instead of that I grabbed kitty and off we went to the vet...It'll be a story for another day
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Glad you took him to the vet and he will be ok.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.