Skating party - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Skating party

So last Sunday the girls' school/church rented the skating rink and had an all-skate for members and friends. So my sister asked me if I wanted to stick around and go skating with them.

Yeah, I can skate.

Or, I could skate, back in the day.

Do you have any idea how SLOW you have to go with first graders who have never skated before? And, yeah I was going to go down regardless, but for me to land on a kid, that would be murder, at least manslaughter.

I did go down.

Once.

Elena was in front of me, and I was trying to get her to move her body back and forth so she would get a little speed up, and well, she went down and I sacrificed my knees so I wouldn't kill her.

Other than that, I stayed up which is pretty amazing, really.

We had fun. My sister and I. After our calves stopped screaming at us. Gave us kind of a different perspective on our parents. But, they were twenty years younger than we were when they did their last skating party.

The girls did ok. I think my sister and I were happier at the end than they were. But it was their first time. I am glad it was only two hours. It is quite the workout for all of that.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is a workout! My hockey player used to have skating birthday parties every year when he was a little boy. I remember being exhausted and sore after.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I skated my whole life, but you lose the skill if you don't use it. I bought a pair of suede skates with fur, they were so cute and totally sucked for skating in, this was when dh and I were dating. Dh said to me, my parents still display all our medals and awards in the rec room, he said, I think your parents bought you those medals LOL. I got better at it, then I got pregnant and we still go occasionally now. I'd like to build a rink in my new yard, I think it would be awesome. Skating parties are so much fun! Skating, sledding... I actually do enjoy winter, but I am a typical Canuck, I complain constantly about the snow. I'm really looking forward to our move, there are about 5 ski resorts within an hour, lots of indoor and outdoor rinks, great places to tobagan. It'll be a winter paradise.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

i played ice hockey in both high school and college and i have to say i'd be afraid to strap on a pair of skates and take to the ice...not because i'm afraid i've lost my ability to skate, but for fear of the aftermath! i did go ice skating on the frog pond in downtown boston about 5 years ago and i have to say my feet were KILLING me. i was a little sore the next day, but all in all it was like i never stopped skating at all. still had all the skills and actually enjoyed tapping into the former hockey player inside of me. i'd like to get back into pick up games of hockey, but THAT i'm quite afraid of because that's a whole other ball of wax.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cta View Post
i played ice hockey in both high school and college and i have to say i'd be afraid to strap on a pair of skates and take to the ice...not because i'm afraid i've lost my ability to skate, but for fear of the aftermath! i did go ice skating on the frog pond in downtown boston about 5 years ago and i have to say my feet were KILLING me. i was a little sore the next day, but all in all it was like i never stopped skating at all. still had all the skills and actually enjoyed tapping into the former hockey player inside of me. i'd like to get back into pick up games of hockey, but THAT i'm quite afraid of because that's a whole other ball of wax.
My son played junior hockey, and was being scouted by some colleges. In November of his senior year in high school, a player from the opposing team took a cheap hit on my son from behind and broke my son's leg. The other player ( who was 20, while my son was 17) was kicked out of the league for life, because the hit was so dirty. It ended my son's hockey career. He tried to come back but all the hardware in his leg makes skating very painful, and his leg swells up as soon as he gets off the ice. That was 4 years ago, and he recently started some mens league hockey. Boy is he winded and sore after a game!
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
So last Sunday the girls' school/church rented the skating rink and had an all-skate for members and friends. So my sister asked me if I wanted to stick around and go skating with them.

Yeah, I can skate.

Do you have any idea how SLOW you have to go with first graders who have never skated before? And, yeah I was going to go down regardless, but for me to land on a kid, that would be murder, at least manslaughter.

I did go down.

Once.

Elena was in front of me, and I was trying to get her to move her body back and forth so she would get a little speed up, and well, she went down and I sacrificed my knees so I wouldn't kill her.

We had fun. My sister and I. After our calves stopped screaming at us. Gave us kind of a different perspective on our parents. But, they were twenty years younger than we were when they did their last skating party.

The girls did ok. I think my sister and I were happier at the end than they were. But it was their first time. I am glad it was only two hours. It is quite the workout for all of that.
You are an awesome aunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
My son played junior hockey, and was being scouted by some colleges. In November of his senior year in high school, a player from the opposing team took a cheap hit on my son from behind and broke my son's leg. The other player ( who was 20, while my son was 17) was kicked out of the league for life, because the hit was so dirty. It ended my son's hockey career. He tried to come back but all the hardware in his leg makes skating very painful, and his leg swells up as soon as he gets off the ice. That was 4 years ago, and he recently started some mens league hockey. Boy is he winded and sore after a game!
That's terrible, There is no place in the game for that kind of crap. Was your son in the CHL?

I played rec league hockey until I was 34. The late night games use to kill me the next day. They would start at 1030 pm and by the time we were finished playing, had a beer, got home & hung your gear to dry, it was after 2 am.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
wow that's some dirty stuff right there. i've seen some nasty hits from behind and have gotten a few...luckily i escaped in one piece. it's so dangerous when ppl hit from behind i'm glad that guy was banned for life! shame on him for doing probably the one worst thing u can do to another player. glad your son is ok after all these years!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One of my best work-buddies' son played hockey. He went down, and got a concussion so badly that he was in the hospital for months, and then on medication. I think he is fully recovered now, but that is a tough sport.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post

Yeah, I can skate.

I did go down.

Once.

LOL! Sounds like you had a great time! That's GREAT! I bet the kids enjoyed just as much. .
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You should have had some pictures taken
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.