Colorado living - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Colorado living

For those that live in Colorado, do you like it? I hate the Oklahoma weather. I would like to live where it is cooler and there are more dog activities. I've researched Colorado and they have dock diving and AKC and Nadac agility. What is the economy and weather like there? I don't want to live in a snow blizzard for months but I hate having summer temps in November.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

It really depends where in Colorado are you talking the front range can have snow and then turn mild quick or it can stay cold for a while. The mountains get and keep snow for a long time which can wear on people. The economy has fared okay the past few years it helps that it is highly diversified.
szariksdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I live in Boulder. I moved here from Chicago about 4 years ago and I don't think I would live anywhere else (except maybe So. Cal in retirement).
The weather in Chicago was awful except for the fall, but that's too short lived. The weather here in Colorado is unpredictable, it could be snowing one week and then be in the 70's the next (that was a week ago), but it is always fairly mild. Even if it's 20 degrees outside it does feel like it because if the sun is shining it feels much warmer.
Here in Boulder they tout 350 plus days of sunshine, which is mostly true and in the summer time (except for this past summer) the temps are very mild with almost no humidity.
I live in a University town so while economically it is very stable and there seem to be jobs available, the cost of living here in Boulder is high, but not as bad in the surrounding areas. I have children (high school and now college) and I have to say that the education system here is very good.
I really like Colorado, there always seem to be an abudance of things you can do, be it outdoors or culturally in Denver, which isn't too far away.
You should definitely give it a try!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

It really does depend on where you live. We live in Ft. Collins and LOVE it! The weather is great, the economy is pretty stable but I can't speak too strongly to that because I'm still a student and won't graduate until next May but from what I can see and the people I talk to it's pretty good. The dog activities aren't quite as diverse as other areas of the country but if you're mainly interested in agility then you'll be in good shape

Oh, and even in the mountains, you won't be living in a blizzard. There will be snow but it varies from year to year and even when there's snow on the ground we get gorgeous weather.

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I guess I'm trying to figure out what the different areas are like. I really would love to do dock diving and it looks like they practice in Bloomfield. Looks like agility is everywhere in the state.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbella999 View Post
I guess I'm trying to figure out what the different areas are like. I really would love to do dock diving and it looks like they practice in Bloomfield. Looks like agility is everywhere in the state.
Well Fort Collins and the whole Boulder area are my two favorite areas and I've lived here my whole life. Denver is wonderful also but I'm not really a city girl so I didn't like living there Very dog friendly, lots to do all the time, and gorgeous to boot!

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd move to Colorado in a heart beat! Its the outdoors mans paradise.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

All of the other posts are right on... I lived there 7 years, in the Denver area, my son lives in Ft Collins still. One thing not mentioned- the front range is VERY overpopulated. There are just too many people in too small a space, traffic can be a nightmare close in to Denver and the Springs. Ft Collins is REALLY nice The mountains are beautiful...
Old 11-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbella999 View Post
I think you mean "Broomfield"? Broomfield is half way between Boulder and Denver. It is a nice area and econmically very good and more affordable than Boulder and Denver.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

I moved to buena vista, Colorado , middle of the mountains, from Oklahoma 12 years ago and i love it here. I would never move back to Oklahoma. I hated the climate and heat there. Colorado is awesome. Where i am we get some snow but don't get dumped on which is very nice, you can't imagine a more perfect summer than here in my area, my valley is the number one valley for white water rafting. Plus I'm only about 30-45 minutes away from three ski resorts.
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.