foriegn people afriad of dogs. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default foriegn people afriad of dogs.

Now i want to start off by saying i dont intend to offend anyone or seem racist. That is not the intention.

So my question is why do most if not all middle eastern people seem terrified of my dogs? Even the puppy..... muslims, indian, asian, mexican etc....

Can anyone shed some light

I just dont get how a 20 year old muslim guy will scream and run away and a 80 year old woman will come and pet my pups...

The Pack
Sierra- 4 year old shepherdx rescue (my first love)
Sarge- newest addition, GSD. DOB July 15 2012 (my 2nd love)
Scotch- wife's 4 year old Sheltie.
thatsrich85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm muslim, Pakistani. And there's no harm in asking this type of question; no offense taken

Some muslims believe that dogs are unclean in the sense that when you pray, if a dog has touched you, or sniffed you, your ablution (the act of cleaning oneself before prayer) is broken and you have to change your clothes or redo ablution in order to pray (pray 5 times a day remember?). There are many hadiths (stories sent down by script and word of mouth about what the prophet PBUH believed and did) that state that jinn (beings made of smokeless fire that function in a parallel realm to humans) can come in the form of dogs or that black dogs are considered the devil etc--IMO it's not valid because this type of stuff is not in the koran. Since dogs aren't commonly used as companions or pets by muslims IMO it's simply the lack of understanding and ignorance that causes the fear as well the fear that if the dog comes near you it'll break your ablution.

Hope that clarifies some stuff for you. I'm no expert so you can also google around for more information regarding this question...

Last edited by Zeeva; 10-31-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

The Indian couple who lives in my building was very skiddish of Abbi at first. But seemed to be very interested in getting to know her. The guy would ask questions about her and what she was like but never come within an arms length. Finally he got up the nerve to come pet her (after a lot of convincing she was a big baby) now he has to pet her everytime he sees her.

Amina: That was very interesting I never knew that some Muslims viewed dogs that way.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Amina, thank you! I knew that dogs were seen as "unclean and the devil" but didn't understand why!

I live in a very ethnic neighbourhood, and one thing I have discovered is that GSD are seen as mean, aggressive, viscious, etc. because of police work, and some movies. A lot of people are simply ignorant about the versatility of a GSD and just assume that since they are largely police dogs / attack dogs / protection dogs that they are ALL like that.

My dad was watching a movie the other day - Columbiana - and the "heroine" had trained her two dogs (I think they were rotties - I saw about 45 seconds of the movie) to eat anything on command. She captured the people that killed her parents and had her rotties "eat" them. These are the types of movies that I am talking about that lead other people to assume ALL rotties are evil ... and will eat you on command.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I grew up in India. My family and I had GSDs and dogs from the time I could remember. I remember our first two males Ceaser and Rex - they were nasty, high suspicion, hardy, good aggression. Great guard dogs, yet I could feed them my scraps and hold them aside to let my friends pass into the home. We kept dogs for a purpose. They were to guard the home and family. They were meant to be nasty and mean. A lot of other families in my neighborhood had dogs for the same purpose. It helped to foster the myth of GSD "guard dog killer". Some of it has to do with the fact that if you kept a dog, you kept it for protection and safety.

We complain about strays here. But lemme tell you, that's NOTHING compared to the countries you mentioned. Strays have their own culture and society. They have packs that roam - well established pack units that can hunt and scavenge. The sharp and nasty ones can be scary to a young child or even an adult. They carry diseases, rummage in trash and are known to bite. So think about it this way, you are a child that grows up being told to stay away from these types of animals because they are dangerous and a threat. So that fear is perpetuated and continues into adulthood. Just because you now live in the US does NOT mean those fears do not continue to exist. So when they see your dog come up, the innate fear cause them to react out of fear. It was a legitimate threat in their country so the fear is deep and ingrained.

Examples:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/wo...anted=all&_r=0
NGO begins sterilizing stray dogs in Nashik - The Times of India
BBC News - Why stray dogs are Kashmir's latest threat
Rabid dog bite in Afghanistan kills U.S. soldier | HeraldNet.com - Nation/World
Dog bite cases on the rise in twin cities - Times Of India
Stray dog menace worries public – BorneoPost Online | Borneo , Malaysia, Sarawak Daily News | Largest English Daily In Borneo
SahilOnline : detail news :: Dog menace in Bhatkal, eight people injured on a single day

See why they are scared?
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Great post qbchottu!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Because in many countries GSDs are kept as mean guard dogs. We had movers come over when Hans was 7 months old. Even in his expen, and even wagging his tail, he scared the guys senseless. I told them he was a puppy. They still walked as far away as they could and said he has big teeth. They were from Honduras.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info peeps!

Just a quick question though for Muslims if it is unclean etc. Why would they move to a building where every floor has at least 3 dogs. Like this building is very dog friendly. You'd think it would be less stressful to them to find a building where they didn't have to deal with dogs??.

And its the reactions that get me... I even chuckle sometimes. Cause my dogs will look at them like " what the heck are u screaming about" as if the pup should be scared to. I just don't get the screaming. Like they have to know by now they are going to run into dogs..

The Pack
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

I can't even imagine being afraid of dogs.... I'm very glad I'm not.

The Pack
Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Chottu.... Its even people that have been born here and raised here their whole life.

Different example. The Muslims on the first floor, their kids wants nothing more then to pet and play with my pups but their parents scream and yell whenever they come close to the dogs.

The Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.