foriegn people afriad of dogs. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsrich85 View Post
I just don't get the screaming.
Remember that in many other cultures, being emotional in public is normal and accepted. Our Anglo-Saxon culture emphasizes emotional restraint and self-control, but in some other cultures if you do not show your emotions in public, there is something wrong with you. (crying when sad, yelling when angry, screaming when scared, etc.)

So to us, someone screaming and running away when they are scared may seem like an over-reaction, for others it may be just as normal a reaction as smilling or laughing when a person is happy.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Remember that in many other cultures, being emotional in public is normal and accepted. Our Anglo-Saxon culture emphasizes emotional restraint and self-control, but in some other cultures if you do not show your emotions in public, there is something wrong with you. (crying when sad, yelling when angry, screaming when scared, etc.)

So to us, someone screaming and running away when they are scared may seem like an over-reaction, for others it may be just as normal a reaction as smilling or laughing when a person is happy.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

I've had people do all of those things - white, middle-American, normal as apple pie Americans. I think it is just that some people don't like dogs.
Not to mention, these things can be largely taught - if mom and dad freak out whenever Junior approaches a dog, eventually Junior is going to be cautious around dogs.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #24 (permalink)

Ok I get the reasons... but why if your terrified of dogs for whatever reason would you move to a building tgat embraces dogs and theres at least 5 per floor.....

The Pack
Sierra- 4 year old shepherdx rescue (my first love)
Sarge- newest addition, GSD. DOB July 15 2012 (my 2nd love)
Scotch- wife's 4 year old Sheltie.
thatsrich85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Ok I get the reasons... but why if your terrified of dogs for whatever reason would you move to a building tgat embraces dogs and theres at least 5 per floor.....
I can think of several reasons. Money (maybe it was the best place they can afford)? Not knowing that the building was pet friendly (not checking it out prior to moving)? Proximity to work (maybe they use a bus or other means of transportation that requires them to be close to work and this was the closest building?)...The list goes on and on. People have a right to live where they want with ease and comfort and if a few dogs that terrifies them isn't enough to actually get them to move, then it shouldn't be your problem...just saying.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Richard, you are really reaching.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #27 (permalink)

Reaching for what?

I just cant personally imagine being terrified of something and then living where theres tons of that thing.

The Pack
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I live in an apartment complex with a lot of Muslims and Indians. They kind of just avoid my dog. They don't approach but they don't freak out either. I usually see mom's grabbing their curious kids in order to prevent them from coming to my dog, but this is either the religious thing or just their own fear that they will now spread to their children.

As to why they would live here? Great location, great price, and a lot of things in the apartment that you can't find for the same price. So what that they have to deal with a dog walking around every once in a while. They know I control my dog and wouldn't allow anything to happen, I'll walk off the sidewalks when they walk by, and they have thanked me for it (not allowing my dog to sniff/say hello). If someone has a really irrational fear of dogs...whatever. I have an irrational fear of heights, I won't ever live in a skyscraper, but that's my choice and I have other options lol.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #29 (permalink)

And it is my concern when the elevator door opens they dont look to see if anyones getting off and then loudly scream and flee as if my dog had lunged at them.

The Pack
Old 11-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Reaching for what?

I just cant personally imagine being terrified of something and then living where theres tons of that thing.
I know it's not a dog ... but what about spiders? I am terrified of them - to the point that I taught all my dogs to eat them on command. (There are no poisonous spiders where I live - mainly daddy long legs LOL)

Tons of people are terrified of spiders, and yet we have to deal with them every day.

My dad lives upstairs, I live downstairs ... and trust me he knows when I see / find a spider ... I'm sure the neighbour can hear it ... then they hear Kyleigh ... eat it.

Where am I supposed to live if I'm terrified of spiders.

I understood the first part of your post ... why are some people afraid of dogs, and you got some great responses, but like someone else posted ... you are reaching when you are saying, well they don't have to live "here" ...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.