foriegn people afriad of dogs. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You just contradicted yourself. They were born and raised here, but are still afraid of dogs. In the next sentence, their children (presumably born here) are not afraid of dogs though? What?
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

I was just referring to two children. The only two Muslim children I've met that aren't afraid.

The Pack
Sierra- 4 year old shepherdx rescue (my first love)
Sarge- newest addition, GSD. DOB July 15 2012 (my 2nd love)
Scotch- wife's 4 year old Sheltie.
thatsrich85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

That's why I said "different example". It was unrelated to my first sentence.

The Pack
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

i think your story/post is highly exaggerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsrich85 View Post
I can't even imagine being afraid of dogs.... I'm very glad I'm not.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
I grew up in India. My family and I had GSDs and dogs from the time I could remember. I remember our first two males Ceaser and Rex - they were nasty, high suspicion, hardy, good aggression. Great guard dogs, yet I could feed them my scraps and hold them aside to let my friends pass into the home. We kept dogs for a purpose. They were to guard the home and family. They were meant to be nasty and mean. A lot of other families in my neighborhood had dogs for the same purpose. It helped to foster the myth of GSD "guard dog killer". Some of it has to do with the fact that if you kept a dog, you kept it for protection and safety.

We complain about strays here. But lemme tell you, that's NOTHING compared to the countries you mentioned. Strays have their own culture and society. They have packs that roam - well established pack units that can hunt and scavenge. The sharp and nasty ones can be scary to a young child or even an adult. They carry diseases, rummage in trash and are known to bite. So think about it this way, you are a child that grows up being told to stay away from these types of animals because they are dangerous and a threat. So that fear is perpetuated and continues into adulthood. Just because you now live in the US does NOT mean those fears do not continue to exist. So when they see your dog come up, the innate fear cause them to react out of fear. It was a legitimate threat in their country so the fear is deep and ingrained.

Examples:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/wo...anted=all&_r=0
NGO begins sterilizing stray dogs in Nashik - The Times of India
BBC News - Why stray dogs are Kashmir's latest threat
Rabid dog bite in Afghanistan kills U.S. soldier | HeraldNet.com - Nation/World
Dog bite cases on the rise in twin cities - Times Of India
Stray dog menace worries public – BorneoPost Online | Borneo , Malaysia, Sarawak Daily News | Largest English Daily In Borneo
SahilOnline : detail news :: Dog menace in Bhatkal, eight people injured on a single day

See why they are scared?

bellamia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

I wish it was doggiedad, so you can imagine my shock when these things happen.

I have no reason to exaggerate.

Behavior of others (not just foreign people) in my building has actually been enough to get me planning for a move. Unfortunately that won't be for a year min.

The Pack
Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

well in those country there is no law saying your dog can't eat or rip a person up or even maybe kill someone ? you can just pay the police off. DOgs are kept in packs as protection you do NOT touch another persons dog there EVER they are serious animals for a serious purpose to keep looters or whatever bad people away. SO they have that mentality a lot of times. Your dogs can do whatever they want they are loose they can attack and do anything they like. They are nothing like what is here. Specially the house dogs that are kept for protection. THey form packs and if someone like a begger trys to force themselve into your door step at night or something to dogs will attack. Just can be so nasty and sharp. There are all kinds of breeds and mutts. A lot of people forget how most of our dogs are safe and friendly cause they arent allowed to shred people like they can just shred people over there. There are no laws there.

Huge populations if someone gets mauled by a dog its not a big deal there.

IF they are born and raised here and still scared their parents probably taught them that.

The dogs there also will take a person down now and then no one goes on a hunt for that dog. Sometimes if there are too many strays running around people will start to cull them.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-04-2012 at 12:42 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

and german shepherds there are like royality (india) But they can be as nasty and aggressive/sharp as they like cause there aren't any rules. Some people will let their shepherds free run to go run around during the day and come back. Sometimes they come back with broken ears and scarred up faces from fighting other dogs, horned cattle pigs and who knows what else. THe life style just makes them a nasty piece of work and people fear them. People love their own dogs but they wouldnt dare go near someone elses.

Dogs have just played such an important safety rule and they really do work there because the dogs are very serious in their role. It can be such a dangerous place there.

ANother issue is rabies dogs will bite very quick there BUt they dont have shots then the person has to go through rabies treatment which i hear is ****.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-04-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

When you have such a huge population and such extreme poverty all over and large family with lots of kids no one will care if your dog takes someones face or fingers off every now and then.The country has such bigger issues to worry about.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've also experienced this. Mainly Indian people, hispanics, and people who have moved here from Africa (no, not African Americans. I mean people who were born and raised in Africa or moved here as teens).
Most Muslims I have met have been hesitant, but all have been very curious and warmed up once they saw that Koda is very mild-mannered.

The others, however, avoid her. I've had people cross the road, run the other direction, completely reroute themselves, duck into different aisles in the store, etc. I have never had someone scream though.

I think it's just like everyone else has said. Part of it is religion (dogs being of the devil or unclean), the conditions of the country of their birth, the conditioning of their parents (I would think that even kids born here would become afraid if their parents continued to scream and freak out about dogs), etc.
I believe there is also a phobia of dogs? Though it's rare and wouldn't be limited to foreign people :P

Qb and Amira- VERY nice posts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.