The best shoes for walking your dog (or running) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default The best shoes for walking your dog (or running)

I wanted to share with you all what I perceive to be the best running/ walking shoe. Regardless if you are 120 lbs and run 50 miles a week or if you are 300 lbs and walk 10 minutes a week, I recommend Asics.

My mom is the head coach of a marathon running group with over 600 members. They run half marathons, marathons, triathlons, and even 100 mile races every year. 90% of their runners begin the year with asics and 98% end the year with asics.

My mom has run 28 marathons since she turned 40 years old. Her first marathon was run in nikes, and she had severe knee and ankle aches upon completing it, despite months of training.

Nike advertises that they are the shoe for everyone, but if you are currently wearing Nikes, I would advise switching. Nikes are designed for the elite athlete and they cause more injuries than any other shoe in my mom's running group.

I wore NIkes when I played soccer, but I consider myself an elite athlete back then, practicing up to 6 hours a day for 3 different soccer teams.

If you are having knee or joint issues, go to a running store and get yourself fitted. NOTE: Do not go to a "mall" shoe store. Find a small, independent running store in your area that carries asics and get fitted. Don't go to Academy!

There are three types of asics-- for people who run straight, people who kick out their feet, and people who run like a duck. (I don't know the official names)

A good store will have you walk with no shoes on, have you try on two-three different pairs (NOT the most expensive ones!) and then have you run in each pair to get a feel.

My asics were 120$ but they lasted me an entire year before the padding wore out (and I run about 20 miles a week).

Just thought I would let ya'll know about something that works great and will make you more comfortable while you walk your dog. I am not affiliated with them in any way, I just read a post a minute ago about someone getting shin splints and a good shoe can fix that.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I definitely support people going to a good running store and getting fitted for a proper shoe. That was the best decision I ever made. I've had a few great pairs including Nike, Reebok, Pearlizumi's (spelling?) and currently Asics. I just ran 15k on Saturday and the shoes felt great. I'm toying with the idea of doing a half marathon in mid November but not sure that I'm be ready. I'm going to keep on training and see.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Merrell (Vibram soles) are the only shoes I can wear comfortably for more than a few hours at a time whether it's a long walk, running, weekend flyball tournament with 12hr days, travel, etc.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm in the market for for some shoes just to walk in - I can't run because of severe osteoarthritis in my knees. I'm having a hard time finding something that doesn't feel like I'm wearing bricks on my feet. Any suggestions?

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi ~ the meezer
dogfaeries is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I hadn't thought about Merrells. There is a store close to me that has a big selection of Merrells...

Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi ~ the meezer
Old 10-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I'm in the market for for some shoes just to walk in - I can't run because of severe osteoarthritis in my knees. I'm having a hard time finding something that doesn't feel like I'm wearing bricks on my feet. Any suggestions?
Yes yes!!! I got the Merrell Mimosa Lace and LOVE them!! I had passed them over online because they look like a hiking boot/show but "in person" they are really light, but still supportive enough for me. I wear them all day and wore them for days walking around Washington, DC (doing all the touristy stuff). I also wear them for dog training/events. They are more comfortable than my sturdier Merrells. I have them on right now. They're not a running/athletic sneaker shoe but if I was going to walk my dogs this is what I'd wear.

Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was going to buy Asics for flyball but then I received some VFFs as a gift and am also happy with them.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 10-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That looks PERFECT! Thank you. I'm definitely going to try some on!

Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi ~ the meezer
Old 10-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have some Vibram Five Fingers, but my feet get cold, even with the socks, this time of year. I think the Merrell Mimosa Lace ones will be great, then I can switch back to my Five Fingers in the spring and summer.

Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi ~ the meezer
Old 10-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm jealous of those of you who still get to wear shoes this time of year! Mine have been retired for snow boots, and there's no way I'd be able to run outside without injury or death. People are required to shovel the sidewalks but they never do.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.