Holiday money - Non gsd related - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Holiday money - Non gsd related

Hey, i thought to my self this would be a good place to ask this question as ive seen most members are from the USA.

Early next year my mums taking me to NYC for my 18th(). This is my first time going to NYC but not the first time going to USA. Will be there for 5 nights 6 days. It will be just me and my mum. My gsd(kai) will be staying with my dad and brother.

Mum has paid for the hotel and flights and she will also pay for food and tourist fee's. she says shes aiming to have about £100 a day to spend on food and fee's. thats about $150. We will only be eating 2 meals a day (no fancy places) as we are not big on food. Is $150 a day enough for the both of us? she will be bring her credit card just incase

I dont expect my mum to spoil me while im out there so i will be bringing my own money to go shopping with. I dont work as im in full time education. At the moment i have got $300 in cash and should have another $250 by the time i leave. My mum has family who live in new york who say they will spend a day with us taking us to the outlet centres. Will $550 be enough to spend on trainers and clothes ect.

Thanks
dylano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are many small restaurants in NYC that are reasonable - go to China town for example....lunch off hotdog carts a day or two and splurge a bit more on dinners... If you are careful, I would think you eat OK on $150 a day for the two of you....the exchange rate will probably be in your favor - I noticed in London the prices for things were very similar to here.... a Coke was 1GBP there for example and $1 here....and I would think I could do fine even in NYC on $75 per day for meals... Remember - cabs are going to cost too for traveling around the city....

if you want to do a show, go to Times Square and get tickets at the half price booth....

Depending on what you want, shoes and clothes can get PRICY - even at outlet stores....I bought a pair of Merrel's last winter - $130 at the outlet store....you will run through that $550 really really fast.....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What are tourist fees? Otherwise sounds like you'll be fine. I've only been to NYC once, but there were plenty of places to eat without going broke. Hopefully some of the NYC members will chime in with some advice. Enjoy your visit!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
What are tourist fees? Otherwise sounds like you'll be fine. I've only been to NYC once, but there were plenty of places to eat without going broke. Hopefully some of the NYC members will chime in with some advice. Enjoy your visit!
Fee's to get into attractions and thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
There are many small restaurants in NYC that are reasonable - go to China town for example....lunch off hotdog carts a day or two and splurge a bit more on dinners... If you are careful, I would think you eat OK on $150 a day for the two of you....the exchange rate will probably be in your favor - I noticed in London the prices for things were very similar to here.... a Coke was 1GBP there for example and $1 here....and I would think I could do fine even in NYC on $75 per day for meals... Remember - cabs are going to cost too for traveling around the city....

if you want to do a show, go to Times Square and get tickets at the half price booth....

Depending on what you want, shoes and clothes can get PRICY - even at outlet stores....I bought a pair of Merrel's last winter - $130 at the outlet store....you will run through that $550 really really fast.....

Lee
Thanks, i cant really get more then $600, Since i saved up 2 years to buy kai and im still broke (it was so worth it) it will be hard. Mum says she can do a I O U if i do run out of money. Mum only wants to go to central park zoo and statue of liberty really so i shows will be a no. And about the cokes, i know. a complete rip off! in london there about 1gbp-1.50gbp. I live 5 miles away from the city centre and there only 40p-50p a can!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

As long as you don't go to broadway shows or eat at restaurants close to times square, you will be fine.

We ate breakfast across from our hotel (double tree) on times square....my omelet was 20 dollars. 3 pancakes was 25. AND their was an automatic 25% gratuity.

I would suggest eating the pizza and hotdogs off the carts or going to china town. Check prices BEFORE you sit down! Bring a very very nice jacket so you don't wear 8 layers and have to take them off every time you go in anywhere (15 minute process) lol
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
As long as you don't go to broadway shows or eat at restaurants close to times square, you will be fine.

We ate breakfast across from our hotel (double tree) on times square....my omelet was 20 dollars. 3 pancakes was 25. AND their was an automatic 25% gratuity.

I would suggest eating the pizza and hotdogs off the carts or going to china town. Check prices BEFORE you sit down! Bring a very very nice jacket so you don't wear 8 layers and have to take them off every time you go in anywhere (15 minute process) lol
Haha never thought about that only sit down meal we'd probably have is dinner. Our hotel is on 120 West 44th Street. Called the hotel mela. How much spending did you do?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There's a lot to do and see that doesn't cost anything. Visit Grand Central Station, St Patrick's Cathedral, places like that where you can just go in and walk around. Take the ferry around the island, walk through Central Park, stuff like that.You can eat cheaply off of carts and take out. You can get in a que for SRO [Standing Room Only] tickets for shows. Your relatives will be a big help- NYC can be overwhelming the first time. I grew up in Connecticut before malls were invented [I know, there was a time when...] and we went to the City to do all our shopping. You can still get some buys at outlets and some areas of Canal St. Since I'm not familiar with prices in London, you may be happy with the prices in NY. You'll have a blast!
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post

Lee
Save a 130 and don't buy Merrell's-they fall apart after 3 months-maybe it was 6
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

reserve your Statue of liberty trip online, well in advance. You have to have a reservation if you want to go in the crown.
Statue of Liberty National Monument - Statue Of Liberty National Monument
You can get same day or rush tickets for broadway shows cheaper than full price. You may also get student discounts so be sure to bring a student id.
My kids love going here
Hours & Admissions - Brooklyn Botanic Garden
They also love the Met and the Museum of Natural History. We try to get into NYC once a month but it takes about 3 hours so we tend to try to ack things in. Try to pick up a Metro Kids or other free paper for parents. The back is full of festivals and events that are free or cheap

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000909655241
dogsnkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.