Anyone have gluten intolerance or celiac disease? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Anyone have gluten intolerance or celiac disease?

I think that I 'may' have gluten intolerance... I tried to talk to my doc about it but he brushed me off and said that I was too old(just turned 30) to start having symptoms(actually I remember having more minor issues in my late teens). He thought I might have lactose intolerance but going mostly off that has had no affect.

I'm getting ready to start a gluten free diet for a few months to 'see' if anything improves and would love any advise or good links regarding this. And although I know not everyone presents the same way, would love to go over symptoms as well just out of curiosity especially from a ladies perspective.

And obviously If things don't improve then I will be shopping for a new doctor... Know any in the San Diego/north county area?
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My mom does, gluten and wheat. Same thing, doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong, put her through a colonoscopy, her hands would break out - they put that off to she was a librarian, must be something in new books. She lost a ton of weight right around when my daughter was born, when I saw pictures I said to dh who the heck is that holding the baby, dh said, your mom. She was dang near unrecognizable and miserable, she was afraid to go anywhere do anything, she drank mylanta by the bottle.
So a friend of hers who went through similar issues - another librarian LOL, said try gluten/wheat free, got her information on the diet, some people can tolerate a little bit, but not a lot. Mom is still, she's been on it a year at the point where she cannot tolerate any.
It's expensive! The flours are a fortune! But there are leaps and bounds being made to make the foods taste better, there's one salad dressing I don't mind and the local farm market dh and I shop at recently introduced a gluten-free line of baked goods, I bought the tarts one day by accident, just looking for a treat and until I read the ingredient list - I had no idea they were gluten free, they were delicious. I just quickly scanned the ingredients at the check-out, made sure no nuts or peanut butter, read it properly at home and called Mom.
She was in her late 50's, early 60's when the symptoms really started showing up. Post-menopausal, nobody had a real answer for her.
She likes Whole Foods for shopping, not many up here, but apparently commonplace in the states.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yeah here in California we have whole foods on every block like Starbucks LOL! So I'm sure I can find plenty, right now I'm cutting down on all starches too for a little bit just to give my system a break and just eating lean meat, veggies and fruit... Very boring from what I'm used to.

But yeah I've been to the docs countless times, have had almost all my organs checked though haven't had a colon exam yet, too scared. But I'm always tired/sluggish, have a lot of stomach and digestive problems, for a time I was randomly getting hives though that stopped awhile ago. Right now I'm feeling nauseated all the time, sleeping a lot and am feeling stuffed up with a sore throat. And all that started after I ate rolled oat bread yesterday.

I know I'm better off finding a better doc, just reaching out to find people who have it or know someone who does as I don't know anyone with it personally.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wheats/grains cause me to have acid reflux and kill my digestive system. There is a book that a person told me about whose basis is that gluten is causing many health issues. I think many ppl have an intolerance to gluten and it's not picked up because it's not actual celiac disease but more of an intolerance. So, you aren't imagining it if you are having issues. Try the gluten free and see if your symptoms go away.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tintallie

I have gluten and lactose intolerance and while I can take a Lactaid tablet, I can't do much but avoid gluten. You will have to avoid wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, kamut, durum semolina, anything malted (vinegar), soy sauce, starch (that doesn't specify from what).

If you cut it out and you feel better, then stick with it. I came back as negative for celiac disease, but eating something like whole wheat pasta makes me feel awful and it's not worth it.

Something to try reading for more insight is The Wheat Belly.
tintallie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

Wheat gives me asthma symptoms. It is more a a wheat allergy than glueten intolerance, although it is nearly as hard to find replacement foods.
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There is a simple blood test that can reveal to your and your doctor whether you have celiac, a gluten intolerance, or just a gluten sensitivity. I have a sensitivity, but the funny thing is, wheat is not as bad as barley or rye. Oats are also gluten-free, so is quinoa and such. Quinoa can bother me a bit though. I found I can eat really plain highly processed wheat (think sourdough) in small amounts, and like a small amount of angel hair white pasta etc doesn't bother me too bad. It lets me live a "normal" life without too much inconvenience. Also, some beers are fine for me, others (any type of lager) and get outta my way, heh.

I've been eating a very "clean" unprocessed food diet for years though. Certainly helps. I'd ask your doctor about the blood test. I just had mine done finally in May, glad to finally know for sure.
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Powell

It takes 8 weeks for the gluten to get out of your system.
Powell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
Wheat gives me asthma symptoms. It is more a a wheat allergy than glueten intolerance, although it is nearly as hard to find replacement foods.
Ouch, I'm sorry! It's certainly not a fun thing to deal with especially with all the hidden wheat/gluten in things you'd never expect to have them.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
There is a simple blood test that can reveal to your and your doctor whether you have celiac, a gluten intolerance, or just a gluten sensitivity. I have a sensitivity, but the funny thing is, wheat is not as bad as barley or rye. Oats are also gluten-free, so is quinoa and such. Quinoa can bother me a bit though. I found I can eat really plain highly processed wheat (think sourdough) in small amounts, and like a small amount of angel hair white pasta etc doesn't bother me too bad. It lets me live a "normal" life without too much inconvenience. Also, some beers are fine for me, others (any type of lager) and get outta my way, heh.

I've been eating a very "clean" unprocessed food diet for years though. Certainly helps. I'd ask your doctor about the blood test. I just had mine done finally in May, glad to finally know for sure.

Yeah I've heard about the blood test though I've also heard its not very accurate but it certainly couldn't hurt.... It'd been nice if my doc would have done that in the first place instead of brushing me off.

And sounds like a lot of experimenting there, lol... I guess I'll find out when I start phasing stuff back in once I've been gluten free for awhile. Though if I really have an intolerance to it, the way I feel now I don't think I ever want to eat any of it ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.