Vacuum Cleaner for Hardwood Floors - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Vacuum Cleaner for Hardwood Floors

Since the dirt devil couldn't hold up with the dog hair for three dogs I got the Nano Cycling. That one isn't working either. And those "stand-up" vacuums don't seem to be really working on hardwood floors, at least that is the experience I made. They don't get into corners well either.

Which Vacuum Cleaner works best for Hardwood floors.

In Germany I'd go for Siemens, Miele or Kaercher but you don't have these options over here... there has got to be something else than the ridiculously expensive Dysons...
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ah, I was going to recommend the Dyson. A bunch of places have them for 20% off right now and you can always get it for 20% off at Bed Bath and Beyond with their coupons. That's how I got mine and shipped to my house for free! Or refurbished on Ebay.

Honestly, I broke 4-5 vaccums in a year before getting my Dyson and most of my house is laminate (fake hardwood) flooring with carpet in my bedroom only. I'm glad I took the leap and got the Dyson.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Ah, I was going to recommend the Dyson. A bunch of places have them for 20% off right now and you can always get it for 20% off at Bed Bath and Beyond with their coupons. That's how I got mine and shipped to my house for free! Or refurbished on Ebay.

Honestly, I broke 4-5 vaccums in a year before getting my Dyson and most of my house is laminate (fake hardwood) flooring with carpet in my bedroom only. I'm glad I took the leap and got the Dyson.
Which Dyson? I think they have three different ones. The one for pet hair, all surfaces and the "normal" one.

I guess I have to look into coupons then... it's a pain to sweep the floor and not being able to pick everything up, the vacuum should do that for you and if they don't it's really not making any sense to buy another one unless they really really work.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

YIKES! They start at 679 Dollars over here.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a Dyson DC14 Animal that I've had for years. Works on every surface, but it's a bit extreme for daily vacuuming of dog hair off hardwoods. I got something from a Bissell engineer, it's something between the Easy Vac and the 3-in-1. Can't find it online so maybe it was just a prototype. It's small like the 3-in-1 but you charge it rather than having a cord, and the bottom has brushes in the head so it actually works pretty well on rugs (most my hardwood rooms have a rug or two). The "guts" pop off like a Dustbuster and I use that for cleaning my wood stairs. The thing also lies perfectly flat, I can vacuum ALL the way under my bed. I use this one most of the time and get the Dyson out maybe once a week to do the one carpeted area and get the whole house really well.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Which Dyson? I think they have three different ones. The one for pet hair, all surfaces and the "normal" one.
I have the DC 25 Animal ball and really like it. If you are going to take the plunge, get the ball.

Target has them 20% off right now. I know I saw them at 20% at other stores this week too.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a Miele Antares, one of the smallest ones. It works well on hardwood floors, but not on piled rugs.
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mrs.K, if it helps you any, we got our Miele Neptune at a Bank's Vacuum store. While they only have stores in Michigan, they do have a website and offer free shipping.

Miele Vacuum Cleaners, Miele Canister Vacuums, and Miele Upright Vacuums at Banks Vac

Since having our Miele, we'll never go back to another brand of vacuum. The others have always died after a couple years, but ours is going strong and cleans hardwood, tile, carpet, and rugs like a breeze. For such a quiet vacuum it has a ton of power and has cleaned better than any previous vacuum we've had.

We originally went to the store to get a Dyson, but they said we would most likely end up regretting it because they have dozens of them brought in each week for repairs. The Miele vacuums, on the other hand, they've never had one brought in for repairs in all the years they've sold them. We originally wanted to stay with a bagless vacuum, but we're glad we took their advice.

While we were there a lady came in with a Dyson, but it was all clogged up with hair, dust, and who knows what. She said she's had to bring it in three times for repairs already, and that she'd only had it a year.

Obviously this can't be the case for all Dysons, because I know there are a lot of people that love them and use them with no problems. But the thought that a $500+ vacuum could burn out as fast as our old vacuums was scary.

I found these videos a while ago on YouTube. The guy is a little over the top, but I thought the information given was thought provoking at the very least.

Last edited by RoseRegn; 06-22-2011 at 12:45 PM.
RoseRegn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Neptune looks like a newer version of the one I have, Antares. I've had mine for years, and like it very much. The only negative, the Turbobrush isn't the greatest on deep piled rugs. I was thinking about buying another Miele with a Powerbrush for carpets.

I've looked at Miele vacs in Germany, and always cringe at the price difference. I wanted to bring one back with us from one of our trips (my husband is German), but the power supply is a problem. On the other hand, I've seen my KitchenAid mixer for sale in Germany for something like 600 Euros.
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.