The Random Thread - Page 2975 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #29741 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So Riley has his final vet appointment on friday. I'm seriously reconsidering but I know if I do, things will only escalate like they have been. I can take him for walks until I'm dragging him home, he's so tired and he'd still manage to chew himself to peices and lunge and growl and be highly unpleasant towards the other animals as well as people in the house who dont feed him. I just wish my husband could be here for this as Riley is "his" dog.

Feel bad that there's nothing I can do to help Riley get rid of whatever demons are floating around in his head. I emailed the vets office explaining I have an 8 year old male GSD mix who is anxious to the point of tearing himself up, fear aggressive and unpredictable about who he's going to lunge at and growl and that these issues have been increasing steadily and just want to let him go peacefully so he's not stressed out so bad he's shaking and/or throwing up. He doesnt even have to be the one in trouble anymore for him to make himself sick. I'm really at a loss as to what else to do for him. I may not always like him very much but I do love him and I feel like I've failed him, though I also know I havent. We knew when we brought him home that he may have some issues but nothing we couldn't handle. Him being so constantly stressed out so easily now... letting him rest is the best thing, right?
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #29742 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sometimes the demons in their heads just can't be fixed.

Tug's a mental mess, but he isn't self destructive. I sure don't envy you.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #29743 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Sometimes the demons in their heads just can't be fixed.

Tug's a mental mess, but he isn't self destructive. I sure don't envy you.

its just frustrating! Like i said, I may not always LIKE him but I do love him and I was hoping he'd be around until it was just his time to go. It doesnt appear it'll work that way. We knew he was anxious and it was dealt with using exercise and plenty to chew on but now he will tear the good meaty bits off a bone and forget the rest of the bone. He used to tear into a bone! Chewing on himself started while we were still in NC and only got worse as time progressed.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #29744 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
So Riley has his final vet appointment on friday. I'm seriously reconsidering but I know if I do, things will only escalate like they have been. I can take him for walks until I'm dragging him home, he's so tired and he'd still manage to chew himself to peices and lunge and growl and be highly unpleasant towards the other animals as well as people in the house who dont feed him. I just wish my husband could be here for this as Riley is "his" dog.

Feel bad that there's nothing I can do to help Riley get rid of whatever demons are floating around in his head. I emailed the vets office explaining I have an 8 year old male GSD mix who is anxious to the point of tearing himself up, fear aggressive and unpredictable about who he's going to lunge at and growl and that these issues have been increasing steadily and just want to let him go peacefully so he's not stressed out so bad he's shaking and/or throwing up. He doesnt even have to be the one in trouble anymore for him to make himself sick. I'm really at a loss as to what else to do for him. I may not always like him very much but I do love him and I feel like I've failed him, though I also know I havent. We knew when we brought him home that he may have some issues but nothing we couldn't handle. Him being so constantly stressed out so easily now... letting him rest is the best thing, right?
I think only you can know if it is the right thing to do. If you feel in your heart that it is putting him to rest peacefully, than that is what you should do. I am so sorry you're going through this. I couldn't even imagine.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 AM   #29745 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yay my husband randomly bought me an elliptical! I've been wanting one for so long .

I feel kinda bad because I never get him anything, I buy things for my pets instead . I bake him things, but then he complains that I'm making him fat.
Syaoransbear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #29746 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Wow, haven't been here in forever. Too much time on FB, too many hours working w/ other people's dogs. My dog walks like doo doo on the leash because "life is one big party w/ dad"
I have been feeling really down lately, must be the time of year.
Bored, but no motivation.....

But, I am off tomorrow and I have only two days left until a much needed 9 day break.

I might even leave my neighborhood....
Sean's Dogs.com
CarrieJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #29747 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sigh. My home town is cursed. Everyone dies. 12 people I went to school with have died of cancer, 6 people have committed suicide, and more people than I can count have died in car accidents.

My friend is particularly cursed, it seems. About a year and a half ago she lost her older brother and best friend in a car accident (they were in the car together, with their friend and her husband... their friend is the only one who survived). A few days ago, her husband of less than six months was in a car accident and is currently in a vegetative state. She now has to decide when to take him off life support. He just turned 30. It's so heart breaking. I have no idea how some people have so much strength to keep carrying on.
LoveEcho is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #29748 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
Sigh. My home town is cursed. Everyone dies. 12 people I went to school with have died of cancer, 6 people have committed suicide, and more people than I can count have died in car accidents.
Oh, my goodness, that is so freaky. These poor people. There is definitely something going on. So, so sorry about these things happening to your childhood community.

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
KSdogowner is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #29749 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSdogowner View Post
Oh, my goodness, that is so freaky. These poor people. There is definitely something going on. So, so sorry about these things happening to your childhood community.
It's so weird, it's a small town, too. I mean, not TINY, but small.

And I just learned I was misinformed-- he was not in a car accident (I guess someone was just guessing, due to the injuries), he was jumped, robbed, and beaten up.
LoveEcho is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #29750 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
And I just learned I was misinformed-- he was not in a car accident (I guess someone was just guessing, due to the injuries), he was jumped, robbed, and beaten up.
Ghez, that poor guy. I hope he is going to be ok. Maybe it's a good thing you moved away from there.

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
KSdogowner is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.