The Random Thread - Page 2868 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #28671 (permalink)
Crowned Member

oh believe me, Christina...I normally walk around with half a scowl...not on purpose, just my face shape....so the perma-grin caught some attention.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #28672 (permalink)
Crowned Member

a week..a whole week we haven't had a phone at home....why are we paying a phone company?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #28673 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Gosh I'm so in love with this puppy. I was at the park this morning with Recon and now he will fetch and retrieve frisbees from over 20 feet away, probably close to 50 ft was the farthest I threw. He's so good, it's like his frisbee drive sparked a month ago, and now his chase/retrieve drive is blossoming. Greatest feeling ever being able to toss a frisbee 10 feet to an 18 week old puppy and have him CATCH IT. Yes, short distances if I throw them right to him, he's actually CATCHING. Out of the air! Can't wait to join skyhoundz!
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #28674 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So, for a variety of reasons, we are just now working on Baxter being out of his crate at night. I've been easing into it by having him in the room with me, uncrated, for a bit before bedtime to help the novelty of the bedroom wear off. Last night was the big test - giving him freedom in the room for the whole night.

I gotta say - he is the CUTEST dog ever. Once he realized that he was allowed to stay out, he pranced over to his crate, grabbed one of his blankets, pulled it out onto the floor and looked up at me and Sam as though to say, "Look! I'm movin' out of my crate!" He just looked....so PROUD of himself. It was so adorable.

He DID feel the need to check on me at 11:30pm (nothin' like a cold, wet nose to wake you up suddenly), but aside from that, he was 100% perfectly behaved.

Once he's comfortable with this new routine, we'll start uncrating him downstairs while we're gone for short time periods (5-10 minutes, 10-15, etc).

I think a big part of the reason that we have continued crating (aside from the fact that he likes his crate) is that he can occasionally revert to his attitude of, "This is MY house and I'll do as I please." He's never really destroyed anything, he just...has a sense of entitlement. I'm sure allowing him on the couches doesn't help, but hey. I'm not perfect.

Sometimes I worry that I'm doing all of the wrong things with him, but my gut was telling me that he just wasn't ready to be uncrated at night yet, but lately I've felt like he could be trusted. And he could. It did, of course, help that he slept right next to me on the floor almost all night. Big mama's boy.

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #28675 (permalink)
Elite Member

Read this and thought of Randy. Tues Humor.

Two young businessmen in Florida were sitting down for a break in their soon-to-be new store in the shopping mall. As yet, the store wasn't ready, with only a few shelves and display racks set up.
One said to the other, "I'll bet that any minute now some old person is going to walk by, put his face to the window, and ask what we're selling."
Sure enough, just a moment later, a curious senior gentleman walked up to the window, looked around intensely and rapped on the glass. Then in a loud voice asked, "What are you sellin' here?"
One of the men replied sarcastically, "We're selling butt-holes."
Without skipping a beat, the old timer said, "You must be doing well. Only two left."
Seniors -- don't mess with them. They didn't get old by being stupid.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #28676 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yep. My sister is definitely spiraling down into her nasty, argumentative phase again.

She keeps accusing my mom of "driving a wedge between the siblings" - which is completely false. If we're being honest, she did that all on her very own. It may have had something to do with the car chase, the accusations of me kidnapping her (adult) daughter (who asked me to pick her up because she was afraid of her mom's behavior), telling all of us at one point or another that we are nothing to her because we're only HALF siblings, implying that we're all stupid or got to where we are by luck (as opposed to her hard work), stalking our homes to figure out where her daughter was, threatening to sue me for some ridiculous reason, blahblahblah.

Her complaint was over family photos. I sent all family photos from the wedding as proof that she is, in fact, included in all group family shots, AS WELL AS the sibling pictures. Despite my very tense relationship with her, she was included, no questions asked. I had no problem with it.

Now she's pulling up pictures from her daughter's wedding that have the siblings in it - except her. She refuses to believe that they were a set of "aunts & uncles" shots. Nope. Clearly my mom convinced the photographer (who she did not pay for and have any control over) to exclude my dear, oldest sister....despite the fact that my niece and her wife had a very specific set of group shots that they wanted, and we all got up and sat down as we were told.

I know there's no arguing with her. She's going to believe what she's going to believe, and if you try to stand your ground or fight back, she gets downright NASTY.

I just don't understand her thought process. Thank goodness she's terrified of GSDs. I will happily bring Baxter to my parents' home any time I know she's going to be present so she will keep a healthy distance from me and simply mutter things about how only the CIA should have "those creatures" because they're a danger to society and shouldn't be in the hands of civilians (this was all said, of course, while the dog was passed out on my feet - clearly a threat to all).

Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #28677 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Evan - is she mentally ill? Seriously...she sounds paranoid and when you say "spiraling down into her nasty, argumentative phase again" it sounds Bi-Polar?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #28678 (permalink)
Knighted Member

All I know is that she is (was?) seeing a therapist, possibly a psychiatrist. She has medication as far as I'm aware...

Honestly, her behavior suggests bi-polar, and something else I can't recall the name of.

There is NO reasoning with her when she gets like this, and she has it out for my mom every time this happens. It gets real ugly. Even when she's doing "well" you have to watch yourself. The smallest action blows up into some personal vendetta against her in her eyes.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #28679 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evybear15 View Post
I just don't understand her thought process. Thank goodness she's terrified of GSDs. I will happily bring Baxter to my parents' home any time I know she's going to be present so she will keep a healthy distance from me and simply mutter things about how only the CIA should have "those creatures" because they're a danger to society and shouldn't be in the hands of civilians (this was all said, of course, while the dog was passed out on my feet - clearly a threat to all).
Next time she says that, I'd say, "Yes, it's only the CIA that are allowed to have GSDs." Then wink at her.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #28680 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My husband is the greatest . His work has really flexible hours, they basically have to work 8 hours a day and that's it, it doesn't really matter how or when they do it, just that at the end of the day they have logged 8 hours of work. So he took a break from work and picked me up and dropped me off at my therapy session, and then he was waiting to pick me up but I didn't want to bother him to come pick me up so I walked home and he was waiting there for me for like half an hour . After he found out I walked home he drove home and took me out for frozen yogurt . Which was great, because the session didn't go very well.

For some reason my therapist kept insisting for like the entire hour that in order to be happy I need to reach out to my friends more and get new friends as well. Every time I'm with my friends I just want to go home the entire time. I really don't enjoy their company anymore. And she didn't seem to believe me and thought that some small part of me really craved social interaction and that I'm just 'scared'. I'm not scared, I just don't enjoy it. I didn't understand how that was so difficult to comprehend, and I was getting frustrated by her thinking she knew me better than I did when this was the first real session.
Syaoransbear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.