The Random Thread - Page 2849 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #28481 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Look at TSC for their electrical fencing. Don't look at the ones for dogs, but price the ones for livestock. They are super easy to install and maintain.

If you have a dog that already pops a fence (runs and flys over) they aren't going to help. But if you have a dog that jumps on a fence (up and down) and then hooks and climbs, they work great.

I've always used one. I have a 4' chain link fence. NONE of my dogs will even attempt to stand on the fence. It gives a pretty good jolt, but it pulses so you don't have to worry about getting too much of a jolt.

You put the box in a place that you see everyday. There is a blinking yellow light and a 'click' sound as it pulses. Mine is in my porch. I see/hear it several times a day. If there is a problem with the fence, like something causing a break in the current) it'll either stop pulsing totally (no 'click' sound or blinking yellow light) or it'll be off beat.

I don't think an electric fence will stop a dog who has already learned to jump a fence. It might, but I wouldn't bet on it. But for me, as my dogs got older (and bigger) they tempt their fate and stick their nose on the hot wire. They only do it once.

My Lacy could easily sail over my fence. Hondo (even with his bum leg) could as well without much effort. But neither dog will get near the fence. Which makes me feel better because my Lacy gets it into his head that there is buried treasure in the yard.

I can personally attest to the fact they work. I tried to crawl under one with a load of eggs. Didn't get low enough and found myself on the ground with my overalls covered in egg yolk. It only takes one time to get zapped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #28482 (permalink)
Crowned Member

LOL Girth, that is awesome.
Good_Karma is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #28483 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth View Post
I can personally attest to the fact they work. I tried to crawl under one with a load of eggs. Didn't get low enough and found myself on the ground with my overalls covered in egg yolk. It only takes one time to get zapped.

IT WAS YOU! I thought it odd seeing the chalk line...errr... I mean egg yolk line, of a man in my yard!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #28484 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Topps scheduled my 16 yr old to work on Thanksgiving until 4pm ...All of my family is out of state...it's just us and the kids....

No...Not happening. I don't care if she quits or gets fired but that is so not happening.

What is wrong with these stores being open on Thanksgiving? I can see until about 11am in case someone forgot something but until 4pm?

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #28485 (permalink)
Elite Member

so.. my new boss drops (or sees me drop food on the ground,) and picks it up, puts it back on the tray and tells me to serve it because the floors are cleaned with bleach daily, so it's apparently not an issue.

Um, gross? We have a staff meeting today and I'm thinking about bringing it up. The loss of a 40 cent cookie is better than somebody getting sick from dropped food..

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #28486 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You didn't serve it, did you?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #28487 (permalink)
Elite Member

she puts it on the tray and takes the tray out. god knows which cookie it was.. I throw things out that are dropped or on unclean surfaces or if my hand, wrist or arm touches the food. I frequently wash my hands but I'm also dealing with cash. I've spoken to other employees who have been there for 10-15 years and it's just whatever to them. Nobody has stood up to the boss, the new girl and I are prepared to this evening..

Last night, she told my coworker she doesnt need to learn anything because boss is boss and thats what she gets paid the big money for. I couldn't BELIEVE it.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #28488 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow...I was a waitress....I would never have served food like that. I would definitely be talking to someone above her. Cleaned with bleach? Well as soon as it dries and something touches it, it's covered in bacteria again! If that was a US restaurant, that would be a big breach of health code.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #28489 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh it is a big breech of health code unfortunately she's the owner and not qualified at all.
Her excuse is 'I'm losing the retail value - if you throw away a cookie I lose $X." Well.. not quite. If an item breaks, we're supposed to put it in a small bag and mark it down 10 cents. Sigh

Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #28490 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth View Post

ROFL, growing up a farm girl, I never quite got the male fascination with peeing on the electric fence - can you shed light on that one?

Walked downtown for Jingle Bell Night, holy mother busy! Going down the stairs with my stroller to use the washroom, I slipped, stroller hit the stairs the wrong way and I blew my 2 back tires. It's Ok though, I made it home, 5kms, uphill LOL. Dh texted me he wished he was with us, it was such a nice night, I texted back, me too, I needed your muscles, that stroller was a PITA to get home!
ozzymama is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.