The Random Thread - Page 2839 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #28381 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Lilie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South Texas
Posts: 11,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Irish Terriers too. They look tense and their tails are in the air.
That really makes a lot of sense!
__________________
Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #28382 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 21,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evybear15 View Post
That actually makes a lot of sense...I wonder why that never even crossed my mind?

...now, if I could only figure out what it is about labs that gets Baxter so worked up. I swear. He has a serious grudge against labs, particularly black labs. He's never even had any direct contact with them. The one and only dog he was EVER bit by was an Australian Cattle Dog, and he doesn't seem to have any real issues any time we see one of those.
It never would have crossed my mind but I know someone with Irish Terriers that Jax reacted strongly too. I think it's just because she's Jax but the owner suggested that it could also be their body stance and she says it happens often with her dogs.

To funny about the black labs. I've wondered the same thing with Jax. There's only been one black lab she didn't go off on and that was my sister's. Jax had two days to get acquainted through a kennel with him and even play bowed to him.
__________________
Jax
Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #28383 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
evybear15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Slip collars are dangerous. They can cause damage to a trachea super easily whereas a prong cannot and is the safer option. If its fitted correctly it should not slip or move around on a GSDs thick neck. On my pit it moves just a smidgeon. Sounds like you jerked a little harder than was necessary earlier. Short quick corrections are all that should be needed, no massive jerks or pulls or constant pressure.
I will say, however, that the first time Baxter was corrected (gently) with a prong, he screamed and yelped like I was murdering him. It was more surprise than anything else, because it was a VERY gentle correction (I still felt horrible, even though I knew how much pressure I DIDN'T use). Sometimes they're just big ol' drama queens.

Not all dogs need prong collars...Baxter is ever so slowly getting to the point where I can just use a quality leather collar on him, but he still reverts back to being a maniac at times, so I switch back and forth between the leather collar and the prong.
__________________
Evan

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #28384 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
evybear15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
It never would have crossed my mind but I know someone with Irish Terriers that Jax reacted strongly too. I think it's just because she's Jax but the owner suggested that it could also be their body stance and she says it happens often with her dogs.

To funny about the black labs. I've wondered the same thing with Jax. There's only been one black lab she didn't go off on and that was my sister's. Jax had two days to get acquainted through a kennel with him and even play bowed to him.
Yeah, he doesn't react well with most dogs....but black labs? Oh boy. You'd think they were at war. Oddly enough, they typically react the same way toward him. Other dogs he just gets very tense around and has a hard time taking his eyes off of them and I REALLY have to work on obedience drills ("puppy push-ups" seems to work the best) to keep him from going bonkers. It's almost as though he realizes that they aren't going to kill him if I keep him thinking, but still can't release that tension. Unfortunately, there are never dogs at the park when I have the time to really work with him on his reactions. Or, inevitably, those are the days where some moron is letting their dog run around like a maniac off leash and simply call out, "Oh, it's okay! Fluffy is super friendly!" as my dog is lunging and freaking out because there's a dog running straight at him.
__________________
Evan

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #28385 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
CarrieJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Here is an interesting thought....spoke to my trainer about Lonestar's aggressive behavior against the American Bulldog at my home. The trainer said that you have to be double careful when introducing any dog to a bully type dog (included the boxer breed). He said that their natural stance exhibits an aggressive stance. Some dogs, when already showing a higher level of awareness (like the dog comes onto your property etc.) the home dog might misread the signals the bully breed is giving. Therefore the (home) dog becomes aggressive.

He said some bully dogs become aggressive because they are always defending against unwarranted aggression from other dogs (who've misread the stance). And their owners are the ones to blame for not being aware of the unseen threat.

That really makes sense to me.

Then he scolded me for not taking the time to introduce correctly. Yea, I know. My bad.
I probably should have thought of this when you first posted it. I see it ALL the time. They have no faces, no tails, sometimes clipped ears (makes it even more intense)......D'oh! Probably why I'm an armchair quarterback, not a trainer. Although, I did spend the night in a Holiday Inn once.
__________________
Gunny GSD & Zoey the Weasel
Sean M. Walsh K-9 Memorial Fund
our goal is to help police agencies establish and maintain a canine team in memory of Sean
Sean's Dogs.com
CarrieJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #28386 (permalink)
jae
Master Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IA
Posts: 701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Slip collars are dangerous. They can cause damage to a trachea super easily whereas a prong cannot and is the safer option. If its fitted correctly it should not slip or move around on a GSDs thick neck. On my pit it moves just a smidgeon. Sounds like you jerked a little harder than was necessary earlier. Short quick corrections are all that should be needed, no massive jerks or pulls or constant pressure.
I do agree with you, however. I never use heavy corrections unless it is absolutely warranted, like a lunge (which he never has) or a jump at something. I always use just taps with a slip, or flat, or martingale. That gets him back on track, for the most part, 90% of the time. That 10% is the reason I got the prong. I just figured it would be an easy fix. I don't think the way I use a choke could really hurt my dog. One other problem I have with this, is that if he stops short to sniff something and I continue to walk, it will absolutely kill him, I had to keep a keen eye on him.

I did not really tug him hard to correct, corrected him as I would have just as quickly done with the choke, so he yelped. I just read on leerberg, "The first time a prong is used on a dog the snap should be on the dead-ring" Well, good thing I did my research.

If he doesn't shake himself off, the prong does not move. If I remove one more link, the prongs will be seriously poking into him! Is that how it should be?
jae is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #28387 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 21,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Slip collars are dangerous. They can cause damage to a trachea super easily whereas a prong cannot and is the safer option.
While I agree that the prong is a safer option over a slip in regards to trachea damage, any collar can cause damage to the trachea when misused. Even a flat collar.
__________________
Jax
Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #28388 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Lilie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South Texas
Posts: 11,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieJ View Post
I probably should have thought of this when you first posted it. I see it ALL the time. They have no faces, no tails, sometimes clipped ears (makes it even more intense)......D'oh! Probably why I'm an armchair quarterback, not a trainer. Although, I did spend the night in a Holiday Inn once.
You made me spit out my sandwich! LOL!

My trainer is a funny man. Instead of saying, "Why in the world would you assume.." he says, "And when you led Lonestar out of the house, did you have an adult beverage in your other hand? This could have clouded your judgement."
__________________
Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #28389 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
TimberGSD2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,040
Default

Well Milla's recall when running around the chicken coop sucks (work in progress) but when she is chasing 3 deer threw the timber her recall is perfect. Hmmm.
__________________
Christina

Kya - GSD 7/15/00
Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #28390 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
DJEtzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 4,642
Default

Got a call from my doctor this morning. Apparently my pap smear was abnormal and I'm going in for a biopsy in two weeks. (you think I might have cancer and you can't get me in sooner!?) I'm a little nervous, but was glad when it wasn't pregnancy news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae View Post
I do agree with you, however. I never use heavy corrections unless it is absolutely warranted, like a lunge (which he never has) or a jump at something. I always use just taps with a slip, or flat, or martingale. That gets him back on track, for the most part, 90% of the time. That 10% is the reason I got the prong. I just figured it would be an easy fix. I don't think the way I use a choke could really hurt my dog. One other problem I have with this, is that if he stops short to sniff something and I continue to walk, it will absolutely kill him, I had to keep a keen eye on him.

I did not really tug him hard to correct, corrected him as I would have just as quickly done with the choke, so he yelped. I just read on leerberg, "The first time a prong is used on a dog the snap should be on the dead-ring" Well, good thing I did my research.

If he doesn't shake himself off, the prong does not move. If I remove one more link, the prongs will be seriously poking into him! Is that how it should be?
Some dogs are big babies, like Evan's dog Baxter. Frag can be too if he thinks another dog is going after him. He'll just scream. The prong never bothered him though.

I've never heard anything about using the dead ring the first time though, I don't really think that matters.

When you say poking into him... can you get a finger under the prong? That's how I judge... and if you can pull it enough to get it on, you can usually fit a finger or two underneath as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
While I agree that the prong is a safer option over a slip in regards to trachea damage, any collar can cause damage to the trachea when misused. Even a flat collar.
I completely agree. That's why I use a prong or harness for any pulling dog.
__________________
Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com