The Random Thread - Page 2838 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #28371 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My SIL and her family now won't be moving out of here and into their house until january. That's the soonest. The house was supposed to be done in July. And then they moved in here right before our wedding, but they said they'd be gone end of september. Then october. Then november. Now it's JANUARY OR MAYBE LONGER? I'm so sick of them. I just feel enraged whenever they are around. If I knew they were going to stay this long I never would have bothered staying here. We will be out of here for 3 months, but not until january. I don't know if it's worth it to move to my parents house for a month and a half just to move again. But I really want to strangle them at this point.
Syaoransbear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #28372 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I really hope that my family remembers to NOT give Baxter the treats they have in the house. Usually they have regular ol' milkbones, which may not be my treat of choice for the pooch, but he does okay with the occasional few. But they decided to get the "healthy" milkbones for their dog this time around...and they have chicken.

I described in horrific detail what happens when Baxter consumes anything with chicken in it. I informed them that, for their own good, they did NOT want to give him anything with chicken. Or cheese. And if they did? I would not be held responsible for the mess that would result, and I would be highly upset with them for making my dog feel so miserable. It ain't pretty when he eats either of those things, and the poor dog looks like he wants to curl up and die. Y'know. When he's not outside being sick.

Almost lunch time. Then I can call and check up on him like the neurotic dog-parent that I am.

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #28373 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evybear15 View Post
I really hope that my family remembers to NOT give Baxter the treats they have in the house. Usually they have regular ol' milkbones, which may not be my treat of choice for the pooch, but he does okay with the occasional few. But they decided to get the "healthy" milkbones for their dog this time around...and they have chicken.
Surely they would not give him those treats after you explained to them in detailed what they will do to him because if they do anyway that would be disrespectful.

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
KSdogowner is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #28374 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33

I decided to take the jailbreak off my phone so I can upload the new software. After backing it up to iTunes 8 times and iCloud I'm hoping I can get all my stuff back :/

In other news Molly had her first accident, that we know of, in the house dispite being let out twice in four hours last night. I just hope it was a "I can't possibly hold it anymore" thing than a "I'm starting to lose control" thing. I fear it the beginning of the end though.

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
DCluver33 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #28375 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSdogowner View Post
Surely they would not give him those treats after you explained to them in detailed what they will do to him because if they do anyway that would be disrespectful.
Oh, they wouldn't do it to be disrespectful. They just constantly forget that he cannot have chicken or cheese. Their dog is somehow capable of consuming just about anything without any consequences, so they forget that other dogs can't always do the same. I can't even begin to count the number of times that their dog has gotten into chocolate and been absolutely fine. They don't actually GIVE these things to him, but he's notorious for getting into food. Thankfully, Baxter doesn't get so ill that he needs to go to the vet when he gets into chicken or cheese...but it isn't fun and involves several trips outside with him.

Apparently he has been behaving like a perfect gentleman, though. She did, of course, have to tell me that after I left he just laid down by the front door waiting for me to come back for about 2 hours.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #28376 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here is an interesting thought....spoke to my trainer about Lonestar's aggressive behavior against the American Bulldog at my home. The trainer said that you have to be double careful when introducing any dog to a bully type dog (included the boxer breed). He said that their natural stance exhibits an aggressive stance. Some dogs, when already showing a higher level of awareness (like the dog comes onto your property etc.) the home dog might misread the signals the bully breed is giving. Therefore the (home) dog becomes aggressive.

He said some bully dogs become aggressive because they are always defending against unwarranted aggression from other dogs (who've misread the stance). And their owners are the ones to blame for not being aware of the unseen threat.

That really makes sense to me.

Then he scolded me for not taking the time to introduce correctly. Yea, I know. My bad.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #28377 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

I just tried out a prong on our morning walk for my boy. I have to say, his pulling was nicely self-corrected, but everything else, meh. He would correct himself on a slip-choke, although it did take a little more management on my part. I still had just as much control as I did with a slip, so I don't know whether or not it is necessary. He decided to pull ahead once, and I gave him a quick jerk, and he YELPED SO LOUD, I feel terrible about that!

Is a prong just not necessary for some of your dogs? I really feel like I could forego it completely and just stick with a slip. Not to mention, when he shakes himself off, it slips down and is a real nuisance to get fixed!

Last edited by jae; 11-12-2012 at 12:38 PM.
jae is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #28378 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
The trainer said that you have to be double careful when introducing any dog to a bully type dog (included the boxer breed). He said that their natural stance exhibits an aggressive stance.
Irish Terriers too. They look tense and their tails are in the air.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #28379 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Irish Terriers too. They look tense and their tails are in the air.
That actually makes a lot of sense...I wonder why that never even crossed my mind?

...now, if I could only figure out what it is about labs that gets Baxter so worked up. I swear. He has a serious grudge against labs, particularly black labs. He's never even had any direct contact with them. The one and only dog he was EVER bit by was an Australian Cattle Dog, and he doesn't seem to have any real issues any time we see one of those.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #28380 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae View Post
I just tried out a prong on our morning walk for my boy. I have to say, his pulling was nicely self-corrected, but everything else, meh. He would correct himself on a slip-choke, although it did take a little more management on my part. I still had just as much control as I did with a slip, so I don't know whether or not it is necessary. He decided to pull ahead once, and I gave him a quick jerk, and he YELPED SO LOUD, I feel terrible about that!

Is a prong just not necessary for some of your dogs? I really feel like I could forego it completely and just stick with a slip. Not to mention, when he shakes himself off, it slips down and is a real nuisance to get fixed!
Slip collars are dangerous. They can cause damage to a trachea super easily whereas a prong cannot and is the safer option. If its fitted correctly it should not slip or move around on a GSDs thick neck. On my pit it moves just a smidgeon. Sounds like you jerked a little harder than was necessary earlier. Short quick corrections are all that should be needed, no massive jerks or pulls or constant pressure.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.