You will need:
1 lb. of skinless boneless chicken breasts
650ml (approx.) jar of salsa (mild, med. or hot - your pref.)
1/2-3/4 cup of heavy cream (30% fresh whipping cream - not "whipped cream") - at room temperature
Enough cooking oil (choice), I use Olive oil, to seer chicken
Hot sauce, cajun, chipolte (I use)
AND...a "cast iron" pot or skillet
- Coat chicken in cajun seasoning and press in (be generous).
- Heat oil and cast iron pan
- Add chicken, seer on both sides till cooked through and coating is black-ish - remove, set aside to cool
- in seperate pot or wok, heat jar of salsa, cook till reduces slightly
- add in a few shots of hot sauce (optional)
- add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of heavy cream (to your preference)
- slice chicken into strips or bites and add to the sauce
- simmer all for additional 15-20 mins or until sauce is thickened a bit.
Serve on your favourite pasta (I like penne for this), with a little cracked pepper -(note: you can use a little parmesen cheese, but I don't think you will need)
No hard and fast rule, you can embelish this by adding more peppers and onions (saute first), diced jalapeno's (yum!), more or less cream...use homemade salsa...
Also note: leftovers (if any Ha Ha!), keep sauce and pasta separate when storing as it seems to loose some of it's flavour when soaks into pasta.
Serve w/fresh bread and butter (optional)...OR....make salsa bread...
Slice baguette in 3/4" rounds, top w/salsa and some extra old chedder...bake on 350 for approx. 10 mins.