German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How far will a breeder go to stop mixing?

4K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Castlemaid 
#1 ·
So how bad can it get if you start mixing GSDs?

#2 ·
I highly recommend using the search function in the forum - you'll find a lot of great answers for majority of the questions you have. A good way to start on this question is to read through this thread:

Benefit to crossing/mixing lines?

But you would have to be more specific for the answer you want. You can mix GSDs in a variety of ways - ASL to WGSL, ASL to WGWL, DDR/Czech to a WGWL... take your pick. There is a reason for a variation of the breed. Each one excels at different aspects and was produced with a goal in mind. Generally speaking, you don't invest in a show line if you want to do well in IPO. Alternatively, you may not score well with a working line if you hope to get an SV rating one day in the show ring.

In essence... it doesn't necessarily get "bad". It just damages the breed standard if not done carefully.

#4 ·
In terms of your average ethical breeder who aims to better the breed? I can't speak for them. But imagine you were painting a picture you had worked for years developing, working hard to get the right paints, the right paper, the right brushes, and only wanted to use hues of red that you searched everywhere for. And then, one day, someone came along and decided to dump white all over it. Would you be very happy when your goal and what you had worked for was destroyed because someone thought that the white looked cooler without thinking about why you only used red?

Reactions: Stevenzachsmom
#6 ·
That may only be due to the fact that the breed has existed since the 1900's, and you have only just developed your passion for it now. Just like art, you find that those who are passionate about it take the time to study and research its origins to better understand where it came from and how to improve not only their art, but art itself. And a lot of times, that study takes years of being around it and being willing to learn from those who have the experience. There's nothing wrong with passion, but it's important to consider why it is there and how to make good come from it.

#8 ·
Then take this as an excellent opportunity to learn as much as you can. What made the dogs who worked in the show so great? How did they train the dogs, and why did they have to use two? Did one have better nerve than the other for certain scenes? Start thinking critically about the breed and take time to learn about the joys of your dog now. There's an endless amount of information, and breeders and trainers are always learning more to help the breed become even better than it is. The more passionate you are, the more you'll find that there's so much to learn. But remember that reading and watching videos can only help you learn so much - try contacting a club or get back in touch with your breeder. Ask if they can teach you more and possibly become a mentor. You'll find that passionate breeders have been invested in the breed for a long time.

#14 ·
What made the dogs who worked in the show so great?
Obviously the training, temperament is shown within the show, but on the outside, the coat was also very much liked. But mine is clearly a fake impure husky mix. And I guess since then everyone now hates silvertips because they are probably mixed and everyone wants standard now, so white, silver, cream are all garbage to be spayed/neutered.

That's what I learned from this forum.

#12 ·
My understanding of your threads was that people were saying yours *might* be mixed, and you should go ahead and get a DNA test for your own peace of mind. Plus, if your dog is a purebred, and if you do decide to breed, you will have the DNA proof to show those who want your puppies that they are, in fact, purebred. That means peace of mind for you, and peace of mind for them.

Of course there were comments of "oh, that doesn't look purebred to me," etc etc. But no one can know for sure with just a few pictures. The DNA will prove one way or another.

#13 ·
Winnal, your dog was assessed over the internet by some experienced owners and some who are simply in love with the breed. She may or may not be mixed. The simplest way to prove it would be to 1.) DNA test to both the mother and father, and 2.) check out the pedigrees of both mother and father. In fact, you can check out their pedigrees online too. If you share the kennel name or her registered name, some of the members here can even do it for you if your breeder has been conscientious of keeping their pedigrees online.

But keep in mind that you're here because you love your dog. It doesn't matter if she's purebred or not unless you plan on breeding her. That's when it becomes a matter of ethics, as clearly discussed in previous threads. Ultimately, being on this forum just means that she's probably in some part a GSD and you're here to learn more and create a better relationship with her.

Reactions: Sunsilver
#16 ·
1) no one said your dog is absolutely a mix, not purebred; without DNA, no one here can be 100% sure.

2) while I'm sure there are people who think white/silver/cream are "garbage," they make up a very small minority; however, there are many who want to uphold the breed standard for any number of reasons.

3) there's more to keeping your dog intact than breeding. Not all intact females are expected to breed. Not all intact males are expected to breed. It's a health issue as much as anything else.

#17 ·
Be careful on the thin ice you are stepping onto. Remember that dogs that appear commercialized on media are always viewed as desirable because it becomes mainstream and trendy. And no one is telling you that your dog is "garbage" - in fact, we're all telling you to love her more and learn more about her temperament regardless of her coat colour. There's nothing wrong with colour preferences, but as I've stated many times: a breed standard exists for reason.

Reactions: HolyFriedFish
#19 ·
Keep in mind we've only seen a picture of the dad and not the mother or the other dogs she is related to. We don't even know what her siblings look like!

I personally don't really care what color a dog is, especially since I don't plan on doing confirmation. But the standard is in place so your GSD doesn't look like a husky. Or you lab looks like a golden. It is to keep breeds as what they are supposed to be as far as what the creator decided they should look like.

Color doesn't make your dog any less of a GSD, it simply shouldn't be your only deciding factor. You want to train and do health tests so do those tests! Yes you have a pretty dog, but we also want to see what she's capable of! :)

#20 ·
She could very well be pure. You have been informed many times how to determine if that's true or not - you have the power to find out. And if you wish to breed her unethically, than that is your decision but it will not be well accepted here (as you know), so I do recommend finding another place to continue with such a practice.

#23 ·
The people on this forum have been helpful and have given you a lot of information and advice.

You have a beautiful companion that you can do a myriad of things with. Training her in one or several venues over the next couple of years will build the bond between you and give you a far better relationship with your buddy than you can currently imagine. In 4-6 years, when you are ready to have a second dog, you will know who to go to to get one, you will know which line you want to focus on, you will know what type of things you want to work and train your new dog to do. And maybe, when that pup is full-grown, maybe you will still want to breed a litter, and you will be starting out in a much better place.

#25 ·
No one is telling you that your dog can't possibly be a purebred GSD. People are telling you to go get DNA tests done so that you can be 100% sure. If I were you, I know I'd want that knowledge even though I never intend to breed dogs. It's so common to want to know what breed or breeds go into your dog, that there are multiple dog-DNA-testing services to choose from. We had both of our rescue mutts tested, just out of our own curiosity (though admittedly I'm not sure how accurate all of those tests are). But think of how lucky you are: your dog's sire's DNA is on record with the AKC! You can have true, undeniable proof that your dog is a purebred GSD if you choose to get it.

In order to breed and have your dog's pups registered with the AKC, I believe you need a full registration. Do you have one? Obtaining that and DNA would be my first steps, if I were you. And of course working for the titles that many others have discussed in previous threads with you. But without the full registration, to my knowledge, you can't breed the dog and have the pups registered with AKC. You need your breeder's permission to get one if you don't already have it.

#26 ·
I will say this one last time and will be done with feeding under the bridge:

DNA test your dog to both mother and father per request to your breeder.

Request the pedigree of both mother and father.

Research the kennel name and the dogs in the pedigree.

Determine yourself if your dog is purebred.

My treat bag is empty now.

#27 · (Edited)
Well too bad the dam doesn't have DNA cuz everyone says u need both so I'll never know if they faked the birth of the dam lol.

K, I get it, it don't matter if it's unethical, just people here hate it, and say I must be because my dog must be impure (most likely, without 100% proof).

So ignore everyone that says don't breed and do it anyway.

#33 ·
Not sure why you're throwing a hissy fit all over this forum.

You have been given a lot of very sound advice from people who know this breed inside and out and yet you've argued with them at every turn. I still can't quite figure out how you went from "is my dog purebred?" to "my dog is rare purebred, I will breed her!" to "everyone here hates me and my dog" in less than 24 hours.

Just because you think your dog is swell and can chase rabbits, doesn't mean she's got anything worth passing on to pups. And that's what people here have been trying to tell you. No one has said your dog is bad, they've said prove her worth by trialing and take time to learn about the breed.

Join a local club, work your dog, get a few titles and learn about the breed rather than arguing with people on the internet about how super-awesome and rare your dog is (when you didn't even know if she was purebred as of yesterday morning.)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Your dog may or may not be a purebred. Most likely she is. Either way she has GSD in her and she'd probably love to get into something like tracking, agility, rally, ect. You may enjoy it too! Regardless of if you want to breed or not it can be a great thing to get involved in.

And if your end goal is to breed GSDs even if you do or don't breed her it can give you knowledge for future years. My first few dogs are going to be learning dogs for me and then I hope to find a good dog and get into breeding.

#38 ·
A reminder that the Personal Bickering policy still stands:
Lately there has been a lot of posts being nothing but personal bickering between individuals with snarky and attacking comments, and general comments aimed at attacking certain board members. These personal fights can go on quite some length in bringing posts completely off topic, creating a negative atmosphere, and alienating new members and creating extra work for the mods.

Mods will delete offending posts, and give a public warning to stop the childishness as sending private warnings to a large number of individuals is impractical.

Since more often than not, these public warnings are being ignored, be aware that starting immediately, the mods and admins will start giving temporary suspensions as required to members who are constantly snarky, off-topic, attacking, inappropriate, trolling, and obviously picking on other posters whenever they get a chance to because they don't like someone, meanwhile turning a thread into a battleground and scaring new members away.

As mods and admins we try to walk a fine line between allowing open discussion on the board on a variety of topics and personal opinions, and in not being control freaks, but bottom line is that we want this board to remain a POSITIVE and HELPFUL one in tone and content, and it is NOT a vehicle for people to publicly play out interpersonal personality conflicts.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...es/558506-personal-bickering.html#post6924666

Time-outs will be issued without previous warnings. Repeated time-outs may result in a permanent ban from the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.