German Shepherds Forum banner

Gerberian Shepsky breeders

42K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  ksotto333 
#1 ·
I just had a friend ask me about the Shepherd/Husky hybrids and if our breeder had these available(she does not breed them). Does anyone know of any reputable breeders for these? I don't think location will matter.

#10 ·
Designer dogs = $$$ which means you're going to have a lot of poorly bred dogs not something you want with a GSD/Husky mix.
Agree, and clearly that's a personal choice - but I do feel like we are turning into a designer dog society with all the "-a-poos" and "doodles" and "chis" and all the rest around.

#11 ·
Don't know about a Shepsky, but near me are a couple of Pomsky breeders......don't ask why but people buy them, and they do for big $$$, who knows maybe my Mutt is actually some rare mix designer dog and worth thousands. Yikes reminds me about that Dumb and Dumber movie where they talked about breeding a Bulldog with a Shih-Tsu to get Bull**** :)

#15 ·
The main problem with these dogs are there won't be any consistency in the puppies. They're going to be all over the place, and unless this breeder does health testing(highly highly unlikely) you don't know what you are getting into.
Best bet is looking at internet ads but just know that you're paying for how the dog looks.
Of course this happens with purebreds too but at least with them you know what to look for. The majority of the mutts(designer dogs) aren't going to be responsible breeders they are just taking the first two dogs they find, giving them a pretty name and selling them for big bucks.
So be warned and good luck finding what you're looking for.

#17 ·
Just a bit of a pet peeve, but these are NOT hybrids. They are two dogs of different breeds that have been bred together. Using the term "hybrid" just makes them easier to sell to gullible people.

#19 ·
My dogs consider the word 'mutt' to be offensive. They prefer the term 'mixed breed.' LOL! Both are shelter dogs. Natty Boh appears to be beagle and JRT. I discovered people are actually breeding these and calling them 'Jack-a-bees.' Natty Boh is every bit as much of a Jack-a-bee as the others, but he was FREE.

I also read that there are some negative traits associated with beagle/jrt mixes. Hmm - like wicked smart, but stubborn and snarky? No wonder he was free.

Reactions: lalabug
#20 ·
OK, I have to balance the 'breed mox' bashing :p I own a malamute /gsd cross and he is a kick butt dog.. A certified SAR trailing dog, which takes an enormous amount of focus, drive and bidability. He also matured slower mentally /emotionally then my GSD girl and has the proclivity to venture a bit further then she out on hikes.. But he is obedient because he is worked with.. His look is the of a malamute /husky and it is true his malamute jovial ways conflict with the 'prim and proper' his German Shepherd side wants...

While I am against breeding any breed for $$ and designer dog affecianados, I have seen and been around other gsd/husky crosses and they are not the bane of evil that is being surmised... GSD's are my number one choice for pure bred dogs.. I personally believe they fulfill all the requirements I look for in a dog.. But my boy is a delight and the malamute inside him adds a goofiness that is truly delightful and enduring (.. Don't believe it, go to hineni7.simplesite.com and read the stories of our trails... Sorry, plug for my blog)..

OK, off my soapbox :)

#29 ·
OK, I have to balance the 'breed mix' bashing :p :)
Thank you. Obviously some feathers got ruffled here and I meant no harm - as I said I was asking for someone else...
To be honest I didn't even know what "gerberian shepsky" was at first when he said it and I laughed when told "it's what they call a German Shepherd/Siberian Husky mix." As if I should have known the fancy term.
I have nothing against anyone who prefers to spend $$$ on a designer dog, that's their personal choice and who am I to judge. As for how I would feel about someone who chose one of these cross breed dogs specifically and then ended up trying to give it away because they couldn't handle it or weren't prepared, that's a different story. @Hineni7 I enjoyed reading your blog. Looks like you have a great dog there!

#21 · (Edited)
Well tbh I actually considered GSD/husky mix before deciding on a white GSD. I wanted a dog that looks elegant like a husky and is generally friendly yet has GSD's trainability, and I suspect that is what most people are after. But then I decided a white GSD is a better deal as whites just look so elegant and GSDs are known to be obedient and I thought whites are generally more gentle as well.

Disclaimer: my views changed a lot, at that time I knew barely anything about dogs...

#24 ·
Hineni, did you specifically go out looking for that cross and pay more for it than a GSD from a reputable breeder? Cause that's what people doing "designer dog" breedings are charging, all without any health tests for the most part or anything showing WHY this is a good cross.

#27 ·
Galanthiel, yes I looked specifically for the cross but not as a designer dog, nor the price tag.. I have had experience with the mix before and knew I wanted it.. The breeder I bought him from had been breeding her lines for twenty years and had no cutsie name for the mix, had health records and x rays of her dogs and kept in touch with the owners of past litters.. Mother, Father and grandma were on premises and I actually got a better dog then anticipated..

Thanks Jenny :) :)

#28 ·
And yes, there is a big difference between huskies and malamutes.. Malamutes are larger than huskies, more protective (huskies are usually overtly friendly and offer you the jewels if you let them outside) of their families and adaptable.. Both breeds love play and to run, but huskies are bred to run run run.. Malamutes have better trainability overall, although they are still independent at times..

#30 ·
Lalabug, I appreciate your response.. I didn't take offense at anyone in particular but felt a balance was needed from someone who owns the mic and loves it.. That being said, I too do not bash anyone who wants a designer breed, bred for no purpose (believe it or not, the breeder I got my boy from is disabled and was/is breeding for the size and strength (malamute can carry 100lbs on their backs as they were bred with weight bearing in mind ;she is a larger woman) intelligence and discernment (gsd), and drive (gsd, although malamutes can have this as well, but GSD's give focus with it)...although I am disgruntled by the breeders themselves as there is no governing to what they mix and make, leaving a trail of bits and pieces of traits and problems in each puppy..

Anyhoo, I chimed in just to give a personal anecdote to the thread :).. Glad you liked the blog.. He is a delight, as is my girl.

#32 ·
Yup ... I had a malamute from a show kennel that for some reason the particular male used (the male was a normal sized male) would throw big puppies ... as in 140 lbers. So there would be normal sized (85 lb ish for males) and then some monsters. All great personalities, my female had very high prey drive though. The big monster puppy I had was a big lovable goof.

#33 ·
Carmspack said: so get a malamute?

Nope, as stated before, GSD's have the traits I look for and is the breed of choice for me.. That but doesn't mean I don't appreciate other breeds and their abilities, including the mix I chose. I spoke up because the predominance of responses was negative without any balance. I believe my posts have stated clearly that I don't agree with designer breeds bred solely for monetary purposes. That doesn't preclude the few who are breeding with a given purpose and goal in mind.. Thoughtfully, selectively and with their intent clearly in sight the whole time.. All breeds we have today were an amalgamation of other breeds bred over years for the purpose they now represent. While this breeder isn't looking to create a new breed, the small number of selective breeding she does is for a given purpose, and has very satisfied customers with healthy sound dogs. I personally don't have a problem with that. That being said, my next pup will once again be a GSD, as my boys 'sister' is, as I enjoy the traits of a GSD immensely.

#37 ·
Carmspack said: so get a malamute?

Nope, as stated before, GSD's have the traits I look for and is the breed of choice for me.. That but doesn't mean I don't appreciate other breeds and their abilities, including the mix I chose. I spoke up because the predominance of responses was negative without any balance. I believe my posts have stated clearly that I don't agree with designer breeds bred solely for monetary purposes.
Mal GSD X's are a proven mix and were originally created as working dogs with the traits needs for police work and similar work. They require experienced handlers. I think breeding for working reasons, even as an experiment, by people who know what they are doing is different from hobby breeders who think it's fun to create a new "breed." Which isn't a breed at all.

#34 ·
I agree, Hineni. I've met a lot of husky-shepherd mixes and they are for the most part good, easy dogs. Most of the time, it is the easy-going American-line GSD, and the husky-mix types that get together in an "oops" breeding of this type, and the results are not abhorrent. Now, to purposefully breed this mix for designer-mutt money is something else entirely. I have strong breed preferences now, but as I've said the GSD-husky mix was common where I used to live, and they were good dogs for the average pet home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.