German Shepherds Forum banner

Wesson's Last Litter

17K views 115 replies 26 participants last post by  Xeph 
#1 ·
Wesson is almost 5 weeks in whelp with her last litter <3 <3 <3

I'm extremely nervous and excited about it. It's a complete outcross, so, it could be epic, mediocre, or a complete mess. Nothing to do but wait and cross my fingers, but I'm pleased with the dog I selected

V CH Ptd Waiko von der Zenteiche IPO1 KKL "a" normal

See less See more
#10 ·
Short version: Need more drive, a more socially open dog (which this dog has and is).

I am looking to maintain type while increasing drives, taking a bit of edge off my bitch. They should be quite sound, plushy, typey, black and tan otter bears. Sire and dam both have good off switches (Waiko came to stay for me awhile, I also got to work him myself).

He is a very confident dog, more handler sensitive than I care for, but not bad to introduce to my bitch. Biddable, hard working. Adjusts well to all environments, no sound sensitivities. I wish he were more expressive. He's flat in that area. Pasterns could be better.

His grips are full and hard, full commitment. He had no problem obeying me while working protection, even though I'd never handled him in that capacity before.

Waiko was enjoyable to have around the house, and he was even safe with my cat (and he'd never ever seen a cat before).

As for why I decided to cross? It was always in the cards. I tried breeding her to a WGSL her last litter, and the whole thing was a mess (not the fault of the stud owner, was the semen bank). She missed.

There isn't a lot I like in AmLines right now. I'm extremely picky, and I'd rather take my chances on an outcross than linebreed on the animals that are out there right now.

Consistency in aesthetic type is not what I am after. It is solid minds with good structure that you can do anything with. I don't want land weasels, coyotes, or hyenas, and I don't want lazy or psychotic.

I would be very curious to hear your thoughts on why you decided to do this cross and how you made the selection. I am very curious about line crossing because it seems to me if people don't start doing it more we are on our way to 3 different breeds
I actually found Waiko while cruising through the PDB classifieds. I'd been looking for a WGSL that was similar in phenotype to what I already had, as I didn't want to lose the angles I had, but wanted to improve on temperament and type.

This boy caught my eye, I saw videos, liked what I saw, things progressed rather quickly from there. I am super lucky that Waiko got to come up and stay with me for awhile.

#9 ·
Looking forward to maybe seeing some pups this summer at Canfield. Wesson is beautiful and the cross should produce some beautiful pups. Two beautiful dogs have to have gorgeous puppies.

#11 ·
Ok how do I get the long version lol. I find this fascinating. I have also never seen a WGSL in recent memory that I can recall that like the look of as much as Waiko.

I think what you're doing is awesome....it sounds like you are trying to crate the exact type of dog I would like to have in my house. Sure wish I was in the market for a puppy!

#12 ·
I have also never seen a WGSL in recent memory that I can recall that like the look of as much as Waiko.
I stack the dog differently than the do in the SV ring.

I hate the way most of them are stacked. I'm picky about how dogs are set up though, and lifting a dog up by it's chest and dropping it is not an acceptable form of set up -_- How boorish.

#21 ·
Have you studied the pairings and results of other ASL/WGSL crosses? What initially made you decide to try this?
I have. That said, the pairings others have chosen were not pairings I necessarily would have made (they chose stud dogs I really did not care for, for various reasons). That said, the WD and RWD from last year's GSDCA national were half WGSL (Mailo Kuckucksland sons).

I have always wanted to do this cross. From the time I really started in this breed, it was always on the table.

Are you thinking that this litter will net you an immediate step toward your goals, or are you thinking two or three generations down the road?
I always look at my long term goals. Short term is relatively immaterial beyond seeing what I actually have in front of me. I have planned breedings for the next 2-3 generations. And those breedings include incorporating *GASP* working lines!

There have been quite a few AmLine/WGSL crosses that have done fairly well in the show ring. They finish, they just aren't specialed.

#29 ·
Wow she's gotten huge! Can't wait to see what you get. [emoji4]
She's soooo pretty.

#32 ·
Can I guess 7? Because I think I see 7 little heads/spines in there. ;) I could be way off though because I don't actually know anything about that!

Congrats! That's so exciting, I'll definitely be checking back in on this thread to see how things progress!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.