German Shepherds Forum banner

Why breed Sable with Solid Black

20K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  k9trainersj 
#1 ·
I am curious to why it seems that people often breed sable with a solid black? This seems to be a frequent occurrence. Does it make the sables darker? Or is it because it is easier to know that will be produced since sable is dominant and solid black is recessive? Thanks for your thoughts!

#2 ·
Good breeders looks at lines, health and temperament, not color. If you are talking about WL, I would assume because those are the colors most prevalent in WL's.

As far as determining colors, the puppies get one gene from each parent. The blacks are a/a. The sables are aw and whatever other gene they got from their parents. The color of the puppies will depend on the combination of color genes in the parents but not necessarily the color of the parents.

#3 ·
Yes, I understand color is not priority and all and agree it shouldn't be. Just have noticed it is a very common occurrence. I also understand the basics to the color genes just wasn't sure why you so often see the two colors paired together. Maybe it is just because they typically come from the same lines?

#6 ·
My puppy had a sable sire and solid black dam. The sire came from a dark sable sire and black and tan dam. My puppy's dam came from a black and tan sire and solid black dam. So if I am correct my dog carries the sable and solid black gene and if bred to a solid black dog he would produce sable and solid black only or if bred to a dog of different color that carries solid black gene he could produce sable, solid black and the other color that dog carries (black and tan or whatever). Is this correct? I do not have plans to breed.... just find it all interesting.

#28 ·
The top 2 are today. The bottom is the other day. My vet said the rule of thumb he uses for weight is to take the weight at 4 months and double it. He was within 5 lbs of roskos weight. He estimated Athena weight as of last visit at 4 months with her gaining 3-4 lbs a week until 4 months. I hope he's right. I like a 75-80 lb dog over a dog her father's size. 120

#30 ·
So that formula would put her in the 90's. I am sure there are as many formulas as there are vets or owners. LOL. I remember with Rosko I was so preoccupied with how much he weighed. With Athena I am like whatever. She will weigh whatever she is genetically coded to weigh. My only concern is making sure she is getting plenty of exercise and fed a quality food. Like you said. Time will tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.