German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Breeding - General (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/)
-   -   Sperm evaluation... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/452937-sperm-evaluation.html)

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 09:35 PM

Sperm evaluation...
 
Tell me what's normal. Google has not given me much and I'm not eager to dig too deep with those search terms... Internet being what it is and all...

gsdsar 05-21-2014 09:36 PM

Can you be more specific. I work for a reproduction vet, so i can talk a lot on the subject as I do it a lot.




Sent from Petguide.com Free App

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5550329)
Can you be more specific. I work for a reproduction vet, so i can talk a lot on the subject as I do it a lot.




Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Tell me everything you know about dog sperm lol

gsdsar 05-21-2014 09:52 PM

LOL!!

Basics: we evaluate the sperm for concentration, the more the better.

Then they are evaluated for live vs dead, and primary and secondary defects, missing heads, double tails, fatty deposits on the tail, kinked tails? Double heads. We also look at motility. Are they moving in a forward direction? Are the moving backwards, in circles. Stuff like that.

We also evaluate how much ejaculate we get. Some dogs ejaculate, but not a sperm rich portion. So we need to figure out why are getting a lot if preejaculate but not a lot if sperm. Color is also looked at. Are we getting blood? Odd color?

Depending on the reason for collecting, we may freeze or extend the sperm and then recheck to make sure it's still viable. If frozen we calculate how many sperm pet straw and what is a breeding dose. Usually with large dogs 3-4 straws is a breeding dose.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5550481)
LOL!!

Basics: we evaluate the sperm for concentration, the more the better.

Then they are evaluated for live vs dead, and primary and secondary defects, missing heads, double tails, fatty deposits on the tail, kinked tails? Double heads. We also look at motility. Are they moving in a forward direction? Are the moving backwards, in circles. Stuff like that.

We also evaluate how much ejaculate we get. Some dogs ejaculate, but not a sperm rich portion. So we need to figure out why are getting a lot if preejaculate but not a lot if sperm. Color is also looked at. Are we getting blood? Odd color?

Depending on the reason for collecting, we may freeze or extend the sperm and then recheck to make sure it's still viable. If frozen we calculate how many sperm pet straw and what is a breeding dose. Usually with large dogs 3-4 straws is a breeding dose.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

We had Jägers evaluated. >80% motility, >125million per milliliter. No discussion of fat arsed sperm, double heads, two tailed, backwards swimmers or circle swimmers lol. I know it's "good enough" for breeding purposes, but can you tell me more? He is 7yrs old if that's relevant

gsdsar 05-21-2014 10:05 PM

So yes. Okay to breed, but natural or immediate AI would be best. We like to see greater than 200 mil as a concentration, but I have seen worse than your dog and they breed fine. The 80% motility is a bit low, but not extremely. The 20% they don't talk about were probably dead or deformed. They likely did not explain that to you.

At 7, he is getting a bit older, and we generally see a decline in sperm as they age. So for his age, he is doing okay.

If you want to breed him, I would do it sooner rather than later. Or have it frozen and checked to see how it does post thaw. GSD are not renowned for great numbers post thaw, so it can increase the number if straws needed for a breeding dose.

If you have the option, live cover is your best bet, but it always is to be honest.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5550553)
So yes. Okay to breed, but natural or immediate AI would be best. We like to see greater than 200 mil as a concentration, but I have seen worse than your dog and they breed fine. The 80% motility is a bit low, but not extremely. The 20% they don't talk about were probably dead or deformed. They likely did not explain that to you.

At 7, he is getting a bit older, and we generally see a decline in sperm as they age. So for his age, he is doing okay.

If you want to breed him, I would do it sooner rather than later. Or have it frozen and checked to see how it does post thaw. GSD are not renowned for great numbers post thaw, so it can increase the number if straws needed for a breeding dose.

If you have the option, live cover is your best bet, but it always is to be honest.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

What does "live cover" mean?

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5550553)
So yes. Okay to breed, but natural or immediate AI would be best. We like to see greater than 200 mil as a concentration, but I have seen worse than your dog and they breed fine. The 80% motility is a bit low, but not extremely. The 20% they don't talk about were probably dead or deformed. They likely did not explain that to you.

At 7, he is getting a bit older, and we generally see a decline in sperm as they age. So for his age, he is doing okay.

If you want to breed him, I would do it sooner rather than later. Or have it frozen and checked to see how it does post thaw. GSD are not renowned for great numbers post thaw, so it can increase the number if straws needed for a breeding dose.

If you have the option, live cover is your best bet, but it always is to be honest.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Oh, also he takes finasteride which I know effects men's count. Should he go off it for a few months before collection/breeding? Also know zinc effects men's production... That or any supplements you'd recommend?

gsdsar 05-21-2014 10:19 PM

"Live cover" means a natural tie. Just letting the dogs breed naturally. Sorry it's a horse term!!!

I will have to check those meds as I am not familiar with them.

There is anecdotal evidence that an ingredient in GlycoFlex improves sperm count. No actual studies done, but I have heard it from breeders. Can't hurt.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Liesje 05-21-2014 10:36 PM

Before I bred Nikon he went to the repro vet for his brucellosis test and the vet collected him to "clean him out" and evaluate the sperm. They are looking for count and motility. You want a good count but they also have to be swimming. At the time the vet said everything looked great, count was great and overall he rated it "9.5 out of 10 but I never give a 10". I don't have any actual numbers, just took his word for it. We did an AI with fresh chilled semen recently and the semen was evaluated before it shipped. This time the vet said it was "about 75-80%" which is not bad, but not as good as it's been in the past. The vet said it could be a change with age, or not having been "cleaned out" (or bred) in almost a year. He said the count was great and he was able to collect a "large volume" of semen, but that some of the sperms were curled up, not dead but the tail was not swimming and if they don't swim they're as good as dead. When the semen was implanted, they gave it an 80% on their end even after being shipped overnight, were impressed with the volume, and my vet said sometimes the extender it's shipped in can help the immobile sperm uncurl.

If my dog's quality is declining due to age, I will have to decide whether to have him collected and frozen. If so I will get him cleaned out a week or so before they start collecting.

That's about all I know about dog semen!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2