German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Breeding - General (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/)
-   -   Breeding Costs breakdown (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/443914-breeding-costs-breakdown.html)

Jamie_in_KY 04-28-2014 09:44 PM

Breeding Costs breakdown

Hello all,
I haven't googled this yet, but thought some of you may have something already that would show the how much breeding actually costs. I'm not talking exact amounts but just a general idea. I've seen something like it before.

Apparently we have people (namely family members) who think we are making a ton of money off our dogs, and even though I have explained before that that is not how it works, they obviously didn't listen or didn't believe us. It is very frustrating because we are a one income household, home school our kids (which isn't cheap), and while we live comfortably (but definitely not extravagantly), things are tight for us financially. It just gets my hackles up...

martemchik 04-28-2014 09:49 PM

Meh...if you don't spend money on training and trialing, it can be quite the lucrative business.

In the current market, a papered dog, from AKC registered parents, that has some titles in the 3rd or 4th pedigree...or an AKC champion or two, can probably easily go for $500 a piece. There are plenty of people out there that don't believe in spending $1000+ on a dog. So if you have a large liter, say 10 dogs, you've got $5000. Do that twice a year, you've got $10000. If you want to differentiate from the total BYB, x-ray and OFA cert costs about $200 total depending on your area.

Sure, if you run into complications you can lose some money, small liter also doesn't help...but if you do it the way that your family, and probably 95% of America thinks its done, you can make a nice Christmas bonus twice a year. Now, if you have 3 or 4 bitches...you're talking a good second salary.

Jamie_in_KY 04-28-2014 09:50 PM

There is some expectation to help someone out financially when we really can't afford it, but they think we can because we have a litter every once in a while :rolleyes:
They see the price of the pups but not all the huge costs that have went into it.

Jamie_in_KY 04-28-2014 09:52 PM

I don't know if you are a breeder, but I can tell you that for us, it is definitely not a lucrative business..

onyx'girl 04-28-2014 09:54 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...18315935_n.jpg

Jamie_in_KY 04-28-2014 09:56 PM

Thank you Jane :)
This is basically what I was looking for..

onyx'girl 04-28-2014 10:01 PM

Of course that is the profit from a breeder that is doing it right. And a bit of an exaggeration on some of the costs
The breeders that take shortcuts, and don't title or train and charge the same will make out much better, but their program will eventually suffer. Though I doubt those type breeders would be in it long enough to worry about the long term effects.

gsdsar 04-28-2014 10:15 PM

No offense, but that photo thingy, she claims the cost if the stud at the front and back. And very very very few makes have a stud fee if that much.

The problem I have with these types if lists, is it's for 1 litter. All those health screens are moot money wise for successive litters. And then they add in the cost of "flying their daughter in to watch puppies"??? Really????

I know it costs money to breed correctly. But I think too often people add in expenditures that they would already accrue if they were not breeding. Registration, club fees, dog food, wellness checks, gas to training. So I guess if the ONLY reason a person titles their dogs is to breed it makes sense to add the cost, but most people are already training and titling or showing because they enjoy it. People rarely pick a breed, decide they want to breed it and then go the extra mile to do sport or show to do it right. The people doing it right are already doing those things, so it seems unfair to add it into the equation.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

martemchik 04-28-2014 10:16 PM

I never called it lucrative...but if you get economies of scale involved, it can easily get that way. Then there are breeders that have made their name already, have a respected name and reputation for producing quality dogs, and can ask for higher prices even when they breed untitled bitches.

In that chart...although good...some of the costs aren't there every litter. So...the health testing is done once for each dog. If you have 5-6 litters from each bitch, you've already got $2500 more. Flying in a daughter in order to watch pups? Not necessary. Taking 5 days off of work...if you don't work in the first place, you can't really consider the lost wages a cost of whelping a litter.

Some of the "other costs" that she claims to have...you'd have those even if you didn't breed. So in all technicality you're actually getting reimbursed for some costs that normal pet owners have anyways. Dog food, fencing, dog equipment. The only way to "avoid" those costs is to not have dogs in the first place.

Here's how I look at a close breeder friend of mine...they're going to train and title their dogs anyways. Schutzhund is their hobby, they want to do it in the same way that I want to play golf on the weekends. So...they're going to spend that money no matter what on the hobby, breeding the dogs afterwards (once they've proven their worth) is kind of a reimbursement for those costs, so in a sense, they're "coming out on top" as all things being equal, those are sunk costs anyways and the breeding money just supports/offsets some of the costs of their hobby.

Jamie_in_KY 04-28-2014 10:19 PM

I agree that the cost breakdown is not going to be exactly like the one in the graphic, but it also doesn't take into account vet, food, and supply costs for all the dogs for the year or the costs of new dogs which will run into the thousands.

ETA: I was posting while others were so I see my above point was already addressed..