German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Breeding - General (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/)
-   -   Freezing Dog DNA/Artificial Insemination (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/441841-freezing-dog-dna-artificial-insemination.html)

puffswami 04-22-2014 10:08 PM

Freezing Dog DNA/Artificial Insemination
 
Ran into a fellow GSD owner with a healthy-looking pup who was apparently selling a litter as well. My male GSD is about 9 and I mentioned it would be great to have little pups of his but it is probably too late. Upon further conversation with him he informed me that he had his litter of pups through artificial-insemination whereby the stud dog had passed away some 20 years ago? but he uses the cryogenically-frozen & stored sperm to artificially inseminate his current female dog for litters.

He mentioned that although the insemination fees are rather high the cost to keep the sperm frozen is reasonable at a couple of hundred dollars a year in his veterinarians lab.

My questions:

1. Is this a viable method to insure my dog's DNA should I wish to breed him later?

2. I haven't seen another GSD that looks exactly like mine therefore my sentimentality about possibly freezing his sperm. I think Golden Shepherd is recessive so it may be a lower % that a pup would look like him anyway. His health and temperament seem to be top-notch. Very affectionate towards others and animal-friendly (generally-speaking).

3. Is this unreasonable for the non-breeding private-owner to do this and would my efforts be better spent finding a female GSD in the near future for mating?

This is somewhat of a blind grab at not losing him and will probably adopt a shelter dog/GSD should that day come but want to explore my options.

Thanks for any advice! :)

http://i.imgur.com/aVchEN0.jpg

martemchik 04-22-2014 10:29 PM

The problem is at your dog's age, is that he might be fairly sterile, so even if he's collected, there's no guarantee that there will be enough healthy sperm cells to do AI.

On top of that, he's very out of standard, and I'll assume not health checked or titled at this point. So the chances of finding a good female to breed him to is very slim. People that own excellent females have their pick of excellent stud dogs and there would be pretty much no reason for them to do AI with your male. So that means you'd be left with sub-par females that have probably not been health tested or titled as well. Remember, the female is 50% or more of the equation as she'll also be raising the pups.

You'll never get a clone of your dog. The best advice I've heard is that its actually better to get something completely different because that way you're not comparing your new puppy to its dad its whole life. So that if it does end up not living up to the standard your first dog met, you don't hold it against the dog subconsciously.

onyx'girl 04-22-2014 10:32 PM

Your dog looks like a Mal/GSD cross. Do you have the pedigree information on him?

puffswami 04-22-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martemchik (Post 5416753)
The problem is at your dog's age, is that he might be fairly sterile, so even if he's collected, there's no guarantee that there will be enough healthy sperm cells to do AI.

On top of that, he's very out of standard, and I'll assume not health checked or titled at this point. So the chances of finding a good female to breed him to is very slim. People that own excellent females have their pick of excellent stud dogs and there would be pretty much no reason for them to do AI with your male. So that means you'd be left with sub-par females that have probably not been health tested or titled as well. Remember, the female is 50% or more of the equation as she'll also be raising the pups.

You'll never get a clone of your dog. The best advice I've heard is that its actually better to get something completely different because that way you're not comparing your new puppy to its dad its whole life. So that if it does end up not living up to the standard your first dog met, you don't hold it against the dog subconsciously.

Thanks. Good real advice. Ironically, my dog has high ball-drive but his actual balls don't seem to have any drive. I've never seen him try to "get to know" a female in 9 years. Probably is an old confirmed-bachelor at this point.

The pup I saw was also full black-mask which is extraordinarily beautiful because it highlights the GSDs eyes. So my taste isn't set in stone. Stinks when you start to see your dog no longer as a pup though. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5416761)
Your dog looks like a Mal/GSD cross. Do you have the pedigree information on him?

All GSD. Czechslovakian heritage so maybe more common over dere. But who knows' maybe there was a Malinois somewhere down the line that wasn't mentioned to me or in the paperwork.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 04-22-2014 10:45 PM

While I do agree with everyone else, I know how you feel! My dog is 8.5 - can't say that the thought of cloning hasn't crossed my mind :(

martemchik 04-22-2014 10:56 PM

If you have a pedigree, I suggest going to pedigree database and seeing what siblings/parents/aunts/uncles/half-siblings are doing. At this point, I'm sure there are nieces/nephews that are breeding if it truly is an exceptional pedigree.

If you go to pedigree database, and enter the paper pedigree you have for your dog (his dam/sire grandsire/granddam, ect), it will make the connections for you and you can see all the dogs your dog is related to. Follow the line, possibly find a breeder that has a close relative and is breeding it...get a pup from them.

onyx'girl 04-22-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO (Post 5416833)
While I do agree with everyone else, I know how you feel! My dog is 8.5 - can't say that the thought of cloning hasn't crossed my mind :(

My male is 5 and I want a do over....over and over if I had the option!

Doc 04-22-2014 10:58 PM

What part of that dog looks like a Mal???

onyx'girl 04-22-2014 11:01 PM

the shape of the head and muzzle, earset, muzzle color....everything but the coat length and chest. Looks like it could be a cross.

jocoyn 04-22-2014 11:07 PM

When we were thinking about it with Grim we had the vet collect sample (he said it would be a lot cheaper if I got it myself but I declined) and test it. I gather you don't use it you lose it.......he was sterile at age 8.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2