pregnant dog I need help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default pregnant dog I need help

So my brother was a dog trainer. He passed away last month and left me his dogs. A beagle and and his german shepherd. The shepherd is pregnant. Ive tried to do my research and had several vet check ups but im completely lost right now.

Some info. What I can gather on the paperwork left behind.

born july 11 2011
drescher haus kennel?
Dog has a certificate for ofa hips xrays a normal
Something about shuzthand papers. Something about a bh something and handler senstivity test something?

Last breeding was done on february 2 2014.

I gave all this info to the vet but he seemed as lost as me!

I took her in for an xray and the vet says shes going to have 7 puppies.

But if im counting correctly shes 64 days pregnant today. And the vet/internet says she should be due right about now. But shes acting completely normal. Eating pooping peeing. I even built her a whelping box but shes not going in there to sleep. I think she misses my brother. She has mucus in her pee for the last 9 days. Which people tell me is normal. It has a very light yelloyish greenish tint to it. Doesnt smell. Not nesting. Pants kind of a lot? Im going to wait another couple more days if she doesnt give birth im going back to the vet. And the breeder is over 3 hours away and I cant drive that far. Ive tried taking rectal temperatures but the **** thing is so inaccurate! Sometimes its 100.4 and other times it's 99.5. And the vet said it should be around 98 when it's time. Im so stressed out.

My brother loved his dogs. People have been telling me to give the dog to a more experienced person. But im not going to separate the 2 dogs and my family has bonded to them quite a lot. Puppies are being given to all family members. (Its like having a part of my brother with them).

Should I just wait it out? Or am I just being paranoid?
leahngo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

So sorry to hear about this, personally, if I were in your shoes I would call any breeder of any breed by me and ask for a little help. I can't imagine, given your story and situation, they wouldn't be willing to at least walk you through some of this.

Don't have anything more helpful, I'm sure some breeders will chime in. My condolences for losing your brother. I hope someone can help you through this. If you give your general location some around here might be able to help you find someone.
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 12:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

sorry this isn't helpful, but is the shepherd pregnant with the beagle or was it a planned breeding?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok, so breathe. I'm sorry about your brother.

Bitches, like woman, will deliver when they are good and ready. If she seems ok you're good for now. The panting is probably normal. Keep a careful eye on her and watch for any signs of discomfort or frustration. Last breeding was feb 2? Sounds like this was a planned breeding, in any of this paperwork is there a name of the stud? Or the studs owner?

I agree, call any breeder you can find who's close and can walk you through this. I can't imagine anyone saying no.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly when you see that temp drop pups should be delivered within the next 24 hours. Mine always pants when having contractions & getting ready. I think she will start having them tomorrow, maybe late but tomorrow. Has she had a litter before that you know of? 1st litters they sometimes are slightly unsure of what's happening but pro's after that. Good Luck and stay calm. Look up temperature charts for whelping, there is so much info on the internet. Ask your Vet for a breeder close by, it's better to have someone with you that knows what to expect. Good Luck & so sorry you lost your brother.
Needing Advise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here's the chart which has useful info
Canine Reproduction Video and Book on Breeding and Whelping dogs by Debbie Jensen for dog breeders and Whelping Supplies needed to deliver puppies.
Needing Advise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 02:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Selzer could probably help. Pretty sure she's whelped a lot of litters. Try messaging her, I'm sure she could walk you through some of the signs to watch for.

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks. I think its planned litter. Not with the beagle.The beagle is fixed. It will be her first litter. Because he never mentioned about having puppies before. The stud is from a guy north of marysville ca. And im in san jose. I called him and said he couldnt really help much over the phone. He said. Just to stay calm and wait. That she will give birth when she is good and ready. And if I thought it was taking too long to go back to the vet. Because I dont have the luxury of taking a 3 hour one way trip to his kennel. I guess ill just have to wait? Youtube can only help so much in my situation. My children have been asking all their friends with dogs and theyve come up short as well.

Thanks everyone for your input and help. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again. Im going to try and get some sleep.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

Leah, where are you located?

At 64 days, things are getting a bit drawn out. I have heard things can be ok up to day 67, but then it's really time to start looking at a C section. What do you have for whelping supplies?

Strauss: Service dog/old man
Wesson: The soon to be champion
Loch: Service dog in training
Barrett: The Frikken Tikken

Last edited by Xeph; 04-07-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Xeph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

I built a box for her. I have a scale to weigh them. Scissors. Gloves. Newspaper. Towels. Heater. Iodine. And a local 24 hr emergency vet on speed dial. And replacement powder milk for puppies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.