German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Breeding - General (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/)
-   -   Why do some breeders not use titled females? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/433865-why-do-some-breeders-not-use-titled-females.html)

Kaimeju 04-04-2014 06:34 PM

Why do some breeders not use titled females?

I have always heard it said that both parents should be titled when purchasing a pup from a reputable breeder. This makes intuitive sense to me. However, I have come across several breeders who are very well-regarded on this forum and by people I know who are breeding females without titles. Are there good reasons to do this? To me it looks like they are females from studs that they favor highly.

Also, this is just based on internet research, so is it possible that these are dogs in the process of achieving titles and the information is just not up to date? It seems strange to me that a six year-old female would not have any titles listed when all the males do. Or maybe it is because the males are imported with titles in hand?

Blitzkrieg1 04-04-2014 06:40 PM

Maybe the key to that statement is "well regarded on this forum". Most any breeder I trust uses females with a minimum of IPO 1.

Jax08 04-04-2014 06:42 PM

Yes it's possible the websites are not up to date. Or it's possible that there are "well regarded" breeders on this forum that aren't all they are made out to be.

Why don't you ask the breeders directly what title are on their dogs?

Kaimeju 04-04-2014 06:47 PM

I will definitely be asking directly, I just didn't want to appear accusatory or rude if there was something I wasn't understanding correctly.

sehrgutcsg 04-04-2014 07:01 PM

The reason that it is done is twofold - the first reason they breed females that are not titled is because they don't have to title of female to breed them - the second reason is greed - whether it's right or wrong that's the decision of the purchaser, personally I don't want to pay $2500 for a dog.

There is no guarantee that you're going to get what you expect you're getting -titled or not elbows hips etc. it just an animal..

Two nuclear physicist's can easily have an autistic child - that's the way life is it's just not fair..

onyx'girl 04-04-2014 07:04 PM

You have the choice to buy from whatever breeder...if they aren't titling their females and that is important to you, don't support them. Personally, I'd communicate with them and find out why a female they are breeding may not have titles.(if enough people question them, then go elsewhere it may encourage them to do something with their dogs!)

If I like the pedigree match, and see/like what the breeder has produced in the past, knowing they are doing it with program goals in mind, I wouldn't be put off by it. But I would only contact a breeder that is actually working their dogs, not one that buys titled dogs for their program.

Merciel 04-04-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 (Post 5326377)
Maybe the key to that statement is "well regarded on this forum".

Must be a blue moon, I'm agreeing with Blitzkrieg. :p

There are a couple of breeders from whom I would consider a puppy out of an untitled female, if I had seen other progeny firsthand and had discussed the breeder's reasons for using that particular female and had a lot of trust in the breeder's integrity and ability to accurately evaluate their dogs.

I mean, it does happen that a dog gets injured right before going for a title and has to be pulled from competition, and then a great stud becomes available, and the stars just align in such a fashion that the female gets bred without some letters after her name. So in and of itself it would not necessarily put me off, assuming (again) that I had a lot of faith in the breeder's program and liked the other dogs I had seen from them and trusted their judgment in this one exceptional instance.

...but for the most part, and certainly for anyone who makes a regular practice of breeding untitled animals of whatever gender, that's just not a program that I personally would consider buying a puppy from at this point in my life.

SuperG 04-04-2014 08:36 PM

Perhaps they come from a very solid pedigree.....

SuperG

glowingtoadfly 04-04-2014 08:40 PM

I've discovered that people are very opinionated about which titles.

Wild Wolf 04-04-2014 08:40 PM

There are exceptions to every rule. Talk to the breeder about the dogs, see the untitled female working, or something like that.