German Shepherds Forum banner

Breeding problems for a first time male

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  gsdowner14 
#1 ·
I have a female I want to breed but the male I have won't mount her he is humping mid air. She is in season and showing all the signs that's she's ready but he is new to all this. Is there any thing I can do to help them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Is the female a maiden bitch? If they are both inexperienced, you may have to "help". How do you know she is ready? Did you progesterone test?

#3 ·
You may have to perform some "help" if you want this to work. If she doesn't really know the routine she can't help the male either and if he doesn't know what to do the results I've seen can be comical. Unfortunately you aren't looking to make a funny video. If all else fails you might try invetro fertilization done by a vet.

#4 ·
we have no information - male and female may be too young , the male not having maturity to be confident to breed yet

we need to have less intervention in breeding , if even to ensure dogs with proper instincts to mate , to deliver , to care for their young --

this is a pretty natural act , any stray on the road is ready to go --

#7 ·
If he can't do the deed you'll have to decide whether he's breedworthy and perhaps try a side-by-side AI instead. I agree with Carmen here. Personally, if a male doesn't show the stamina to breed a flagging female, I don't know that he should be bred. If he's very persistent in trying but needs a little help with aim due to inexperience, help him out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.