German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Breeding - General (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/)
-   -   Breeding GSD HELP! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/419801-breeding-gsd-help.html)

Louie's GSD's 03-05-2014 01:54 PM

Breeding GSD HELP!

I have both dogs that I own. My female has just came into her 2nd heat this morning by the tell of fresh blood she left me where she woke up from. When I bought the dogs the breeder told me these two dogs could be bread when they are old enough. They are not brother and sister and they are from different bloodlines. They came from a highly recommended breeder who has been in the business since 1969. -wow! My dogs get a healthy diet and I feed them premium food.

I have already contacted my vet to bring her in for inspection around the 5 day mark to give her a blood test and see where shes at. So, being new to breeding, where can I gain the most accurate information about breeding? I need the 101 basics details from setting up a good puppy friendly environment- my plan was to dedicate a whole bedroom and cover the room with a leak proof liner for easy cleanup. What kinds of things should I have on hand? What should I prepare for most? Once the puppies come I know it's important to keep a sterile environment, should I plan to keep visitors away?

Any info you can provide based on my specific situation would be appreciated.

Jax08 03-05-2014 02:02 PM

You should contact your breeder. That is your best source for information.

GSD2727 03-05-2014 03:22 PM

I think you should put off breeding for right now and instead learn the answers to all of these questions (and more). Why rush to breed? Your female is only on her 2nd heat. That means she is very young. (maybe too young). You have plenty of time.

Learn about the GSD breed, what should be done with them before breeding (are your dogs OFA'd?), make sure your two current dogs are breed worthy to begin with (just because someone breeds for a long time does not mean they have good dogs).

Breeding is A LOT of work if you want to do it right. And IMO if you are not going to do it right, why even bother doing it at all?

As I said, take a step back, learn all about breeding, take the time to prepare for it and do it right. You may find that you do not want to breed your current dogs afterall, who knows.

meldy 03-05-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSD2727 (Post 5140417)
I think you should put off breeding for right now and instead learn the answers to all of these questions (and more). Why rush to breed? Your female is only on her 2nd heat. That means she is very young. (maybe too young). You have plenty of time.

Learn about the GSD breed, what should be done with them before breeding (are your dogs OFA'd?), make sure your two current dogs are breed worthy to begin with (just because someone breeds for a long time does not mean they have good dogs).

Breeding is A LOT of work if you want to do it right. And IMO if you are not going to do it right, why even bother doing it at all?

As I said, take a step back, learn all about breeding, take the time to prepare for it and do it right. You may find that you do not want to breed your current dogs afterall, who knows.

Well said.

Also take into consideration where the pups might end up. I know I wouldn't buy from dogs who were bred for no reason other than they were GSD's. I want proof of the genetics behind the paperwork. Titles, certifications...something.

There are far too many options out there for a discerning buyer to justify breeding Dog A to Dog B for no other reason than the parts fit together.

You very well end up with a dozen puppies you cant sell.

Liesje 03-05-2014 03:53 PM

Also, breeding a maiden bitch and an inexperienced stud can be problematic.

If you are serious about breeding, I would suggest not rushing things. If you want puppy buyers or other breed fanciers to take you seriously, you need to spend a lot of time with the dogs and not just buy two dogs from someone else to breed. When you are ready to breed and have a breedworthy dog, find several mentors who can help you with the nitty-gritty details.

Twyla 03-05-2014 03:56 PM

Your breeder should be the first you turn to for answers. If she is responsible breeder, she will be more then happy to get you started in the right direction.

Also, please take the time to go through the sub-forum link- http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...flowchart.html

It may have the answers you are looking for and the sub-forum itself has tons of information.

Xeph 03-05-2014 04:21 PM

What everybody else said. All the things you are asking are very basic, and this is information you should have BEFORE your bitch is in season and you are planning to breed her.

Louie's GSD's 03-06-2014 08:48 AM

completely off topic. i didnt ask you if i should or should not breed my dogs. i asked where i could find more information about breeding. If you cant answer my question, keep your lousy comments to yourself.

Twyla 03-06-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louie's GSD's (Post 5144073)
completely off topic. i didnt ask you if i should or should not breed my dogs. i asked where i could find more information about breeding. If you cant answer my question, keep your lousy comments to yourself.

You posted on a forum, thereby opening up your question to comment by any and all members.

You received the best advice possible - consult with your breeder. If they are a responsible breeder, they will help get you headed in the right direction.

Eiros 03-06-2014 09:20 AM

No ones comments were lousy. You'd be hard pressed to get instant validation from people who truly care about the breed without knowing if your dogs are even fit for breeding. All anyone did was encourage you to be responsible (properly evaluate for breeding in health and temperament) and check with your breeder. Sounds like a good place to start, in my opinion. Breeding is expensive and there are a lot of risks to mom and pups. Doing your research and getting help from an experienced breeder is in the best interest of you and the dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App