Breeder picks puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Breeder picks puppy?

I have seen threads where breeders picking a puppy for the prospective buyers, seems somehow connected to whether a breeder is "reputable or not.
The whole idea of breeders picking pups accurately is questionable to me.
I'm not against them picking as long as it's ok by both parties.

Zena my 2 and a half year old was picked for me. I didn't have a problem with that but I never thought for a minute that there was one right puppy for us.

I fail to see where a breeder is inherently more "reputable" because they pick the pups.

The idea that a breeder can pick the "right" puppy for ,say, a litter of eight just seems goofy to me.

Lets say you have eight different requests from prospective buyers. There are the variables of eight different people for eight somewhat different pups.

How can that litter just happen to be the right group for those eight people.

Or how about the prospective buyers aren't that much different from one another. Same litter.

Who gets the bold one and who gets the shy one? Are you told "yours is the shy one".

I don't think that just because a breeder lets the buyers pick, that somehow makes them a less qualified breeder.

Also, as much as we don't like to think of puppies as a product, they are.

Isn't one buyers money as good as the next persons?

I don't believe there is a right or wrong here. Just things to think about.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My parents very first border collie was picked by my dad at the breeders farm, he walked into about 7 puppies, and picked the one that came over to greet him did not get over excited then went back and laid down
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
I have seen threads where breeders picking a puppy for the prospective buyers, seems somehow connected to whether a breeder is "reputable or not.
The whole idea of breeders picking pups accurately is questionable to me.
I'm not against them picking as long as it's ok by both parties.

Also, as much as we don't like to think of puppies as a product, they are.

Isn't one buyers money as good as the next persons?
I don't think that just becaus

I don't believe there is a right or wrong here. Just things to think about.
12 years ago when we got our last puppy from a breeder we picked, and it was the norm. I was somewhat horrified to learn that now breeders pick the puppy.

With the rescue we did not pick, we allowed people to choose which puppy they wanted. We did however restrict a couple of the dogs to families with no young kids & we pointed that out right up front. This puppy and this puppy are only available to homes with NO young children.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

My breeder picked my dog for me because she was a little tyrant and I wanted the craziest female to do schutzhund with. Another family wanted a calmer family dog to dabble in sport with. We both got what we wanted - Versailles is crazy and driven, their dog is more laid back and has much lower energy. I think it's definitely possible for the breeder to know what pup will best match a home.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The bold one always stays with the breeder! lol
I am not a fan of the 'first pick' type situation, because it makes me think the breeder is more concerned about sales than proper matching. So does this breeder screen potential owners or even know what they want to do with the puppy if they are just letting the first buyer with a check that clears pick the puppy according to the date of the deposit?
I've picked two of my pups(farmer had a litter of GSD's~we were the first to reply to the newspaper ad in the '80's and another was a litter from a rescue) They were both great dogs...but I had no intention of competing with them.
For a pup I'd want to do sportwork with, I'd much rather have breeder input.
Onyx was the last female the breeder had available, she wasn't letting her go to just any home because of her dominant personality. Breeder didn't let the owners choose, steered them to the best pup for their home. Onyx would have been failed, I think if she wasn't placed with a committed owner.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Most of the breeders I know of will want puppies that show great potential to go to show homes and buyers experienced in training. My experience has been that any puppies not allocated (as above) go to mum and dad buyers and that people can generally choose their own puppy with the help of the breeder. I had pick of the litter with Harry but I don't have the experience to pick a potential champion, they all looked and moved the same to me, so I let the puppy choose me. Also, I should mention the breeder of Harry screens all buyers as to experience and where puppy will live, she will either like to visit the potential buyers home or see photos.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
Most of the breeders I know of will want puppies that show great potential to go to show homes and buyers experienced in training. My experience has been that any puppies not allocated (as above) go to mum and dad buyers and that people can generally choose their own puppy with the help of the breeder. I had pick of the litter with Harry but I don't have the experience to pick a potential champion, they all looked and moved the same to me, so I let the puppy choose me. Also, I should mention the breeder of Harry screens all buyers as to experience and where puppy will live, she will either like to visit the potential buyers home or see photos.
Your first sentence is one of my concerns. If we are all paying the same, I want the best puppy I can get and I don't want that to mean the best one after those with great potential go to show homes.
Or in the case of working lines, after the IPO people get theirs.
Does that make sense to anyone.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, If I say I want to do IPO, and you say you want an active companion...which is the 'best? The best is the perfect match for what we are looking for.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Well, If I say I want to do IPO, and you say you want an active companion...which is the 'best? The best is the perfect match for what we are looking for.
Not necessarily. The IPO dog might very have the exact characteristics I want.

I want the puppy that is the most bold, most curious and goes willingly where angels fear to tread. You think I'll get that one if it's going to be "just" a family companion.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

i don't have much faith in the breeder picking a pup for me.
the breeder picks a pup for you. a week later, months later,
a year later that's not the same pup it was when you got the
pup at 8 weeks old.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.