Where should the breeding take place? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
People are so helpful. Do you honest believe you are helping anyone or any dogs by attacking every single person that comes onto this board thinking about breeding?

Nope, instead of maybe helping you have managed to probably chase another person away with your personal attacks and sanctimonious attitudes.
Sorry - i wasn't meaning to come off as attacking or sanctimonious. The intensity was already raging when the OP seemed to get annoyed and resorted to name calling towards another user, (which has since been deleted). Even though the thread wasn't setting off on the right foot before I even posted anything, I do apologise to the OP if I came off as crass.

As I haven't got any useful breeding advice to give, I'll keep quiet in that regard.However, I still do think that bit of research through the breeding threads on this forum would be very helpful to the OP as this is a first time breeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
I assumed he meant to keep the black coat trait "going" aka passing on through the progeny.
Ah. Well, solid black is hardly a rare color for GSDs, I don't see why it's important to breed a black GSD for the sole reason of creating even more black GSDs. It's not a color that is in danger of going extinct so it doesn't need any special measures to preserve it.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #23 (permalink)

If a breeder wants to use my dog, they have to come to me. I also give them fair warning (at least a month) when I'll be gone for flyball tournaments and if they need to do a breeding THAT weekend they can come to the tournament. I live in a tiny house in the city with no yard or kennels so I do not board bitches. My stud contract is for two breedings and normally people put a day between them. I don't care if they drive back and forth or stay at a hotel. If they want shipped semen they can contact the vet who does it and set up the payment and then the hospital calls me in when they need the dog (it's close to my work so I can have him in the same day). I honestly don't even know what the collection and shipping costs but I don't think it's cheap. We had one planned for Feb but the breeder is going to wait.

I am not experienced in breeding. I've witnessed some matings/ties but have never owned a breeding animal. I've been discussing lots of things with breeder-friends who are not scandalized by the types of things that have to be discussed, lol. Also for the first live breeding, the bitch owner is someone I know and she has lots of experience breeding, owning a stud dog, and being a vet tech.

For the first time it's best if at least one dog has been bred before and someone there has lots of experience with these things.

I do have requirements of the bitch in my stud contract and I also reserve the right to say no to any breeding for any reason even if the bitch meets all the requirements.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
People are so helpful. Do you honest believe you are helping anyone or any dogs by attacking every single person that comes onto this board thinking about breeding?

Nope, instead of maybe helping you have managed to probably chase another person away with your personal attacks and sanctimonious attitudes.
Thank you Lisa.

Your advice could apply to a number of other topics also.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks Lisa! ...people shouldn't have to be subject to interrogation.....no matter how passionate you are....I expect more manners out of my dogs!
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The dog is the one doing the work, and he needs to be confident. Generally, breeders want the bitch to come to them so that their dog is on his own ground.

In reality though, if you have an experienced stud dog, he can manage the dog in your back yard, in his house, behind the barn in the fair grounds, at the hotel close to wherever the show is that people are entered. And to hear some of the old time breeders talk, their dogs have done it in all of those places and many more.

As for doing this thing naturally, I hope that you are not set on that. These dogs are not going to live together for the rest of their lives. Some bitches will bite the dog when he starts doing what he does to make this happen. You might THINK your bitch won't, but there is no way for you to KNOW that unless you have already bred her. Getting bitten by a hard to breed bitch can be bad for the dog. You really don't want that to happen.

Also, the dog and bitch will tie, and at that point it is USUALLY safe to remove the muzzle. But you cannot just let them trapse around the back yard. An old time breeder friend told me of a story she knew about, where the bitch came in heat in the middle of the winter, so the people stayed inside while the dogs were tied in the back yard. There was a stone wall in the back yard and the bitch jumped it and did a lot of damage to the male.

What actually happens, is the dog owner and the bitch owner hold the leads while the dogs are tied, and wait patiently until everything comes out ok. Sometimes getting to the tie point is interesting. The stud owner sometimes has to position the bitch and then help the dog get where he needs to be.

For some reason rangy, mangy border collie mixes can leap tall fences in a single bound, open kennel gates, get through garage doors, can soundlessly manage to accomplish the deed without getting bitten, or otherwise injured. And every time he calls, he manages to father a healthy litter of 12-14 pups that all survive, all while eating a crappy diet of Old Roy.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

shhh....Sue!!
It is a science and only done with contracts, rules, regulations and experienced people! Ol' roy would be shamed knowing their brand was involved in such clandestine meetings.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

...and then again maybe they wouldn't.
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #29 (permalink)

I think they certainly would do their thing and breed naturally but good luck finding a decent stud whose owner will 1) bring their dog to you 2) drop it off and 3) let the dogs breed unsupervised. If you own both the dogs then you can do it any way you want.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I gues it would all depend on how much the stud dogs owner wanted to do the breeding as well
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.