Stability in GSD Disappearing. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Stability in GSD Disappearing.

Several unrelated threads recently had me mulling over whether I would actually want another GSD.

I think probably not. I know a couple of places I could probably get a stable dog.

My problem though is why does one have to do months to years of research to find a decent GSD.

To me any breed should have a stable temperament, to where you don't have to worry about them constantly. I have seen personally, and read about too many neurotic GSDs.

People blame BYBs all the time but where do their dogs come from.

The problem IMO is within the larger GSD community.

Dogs bred to extremes for sport and show.

Most of them will wind up in homes and yes some will be bred by the dreaded BYB but the overall direction of the breed is not coming not from them.

They work with whatever is out there that is bred by the big sport and show crowds.

A stable GSD with good health and temperament is becoming increasingly hard to come by.

People on other threads have discussed the lack of temperament for SD dog work. That is pathetic. The GSD was the go to dog for the blind and other SD work for years. They are now becoming less and less the dog of choice.

Most pet owners buy a particular breed "because they like it".
If you like GSDs then buyer beware.

This forum has some dedicated breeders on it but in the real world I don't really like a lot of today's GSDs.

I'm aware that this is happening in other breeds and that too is pathetic.

Perhaps someone will start a new breed with sanity and stability as their main goal.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you don't have to start a new breed -- you just do not ever sacrifice soundness for anything else.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

It does seem that there is a lot of major problems with our breed..well bred or byb...I have been blessed so far with Sib, but am always fearful of that dreaded cancer or bloat...Are other breeds afflicted as often or as severe as GSD's?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
you don't have to start a new breed -- you just do not ever sacrifice soundness for anything else.
That's true Carmen but not what is happening IMO.

Sport dogs are getting sportier and show dogs showier (new word).
The cost is temperament and stability.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post

People blame BYBs all the time but where do their dogs come from.
Exactly this!!
I mean seriously...when all the raids with pit bulls went down and Michael Vick was arrested, the "old timers" dissed him for being a punk, or whatever, but where did he get his dogs? BYBs? So where did they get their dogs??

Someone, a breeders somewhere (dozens is more like it) wasn't (weren't) careful in placements, and that's the bottom line with all breeds.
Err, I mean the bottom line is always money...
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Perhaps someone will start a new breed with sanity and stability as their main goal.
Starting a new breed won't fix anything. Just take a look at all the new "designer" dogs for sale (doodles and poos). I hope you don't think they're the answer to finding sanity and stability in a dog. Give it a few years, and your "new breed" will have problems too. GSDs have been a very popular breed for a very long time. That demand has led to poor breeding in an effort to chase dollars. Maybe the way to go is to find a rare breed dog with the qualities you want, and it shouldn't have the over breeding issues the modern GSD has suffered from (but I think it may be tougher to find the rare dog breeder than finding a good GSD).
Shep's_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I was half joking about a new breed but at one time not all that long ago the GSD came about as a new breed.

Taken from several different lines and I'll bet a lot of culling to arrive at a stable Jack of all Trades, good with kids and can settle in home dog.
Dogs that could work at numerous tasks and still settle.

Not a whole lot of them in the GSD population any more.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I was half joking about a new breed but at one time not all that long ago the GSD came about as a new breed.

Taken from several different lines and I'll bet a lot of culling to arrive at a stable Jack of all Trades, good with kids and can settle in home dog.
Dogs that could work at numerous tasks and still settle.

Not a whole lot of them in the GSD population any more.
Part of the problem is that people don't have the heart for culling anymore. I know I couldn't do it. I think even rescues tend to go to far in trying to save all dogs. I know I want to save them all, but should we?
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why do you associate "sporty" with bad temperment? Stability is still strongly there in working lines. I said they might not be a good choice for "psychiatric" as I interpret that to mean "there to comfort and calm" someone. A working line will likely show distress at the handlers distress
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It hard to fathom...with all the new ways and means, and experts....I should think the breed should be able to do service work like they used to when the dogs were of lesser quality as people tell me.....really baffling!
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.