A perfect example as to why backyard breeding needs to stop - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am sorry, you area great mom, my suggestion for the future, tie the end of the long lead to something, still go out with her but have the lead securely attached to something strong, even holding the lead it can be pulled from our hands and we can be pulled off the steps, nothing worse than all the links of dogs lost that I share on facebook, dogs who ran cause something spooked them and they got away
trudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I would say Sasha is lucky to have you While she may have issues (as most dogs do have some type of issue), you've stuck with her, manage her and love her..so again, she's lucky YOU have her and not someone who would have given up on her a long time ago and she sounds like you've done a great job with her,,she is what she is
I couldn't agree more. Sometimes a dog is the way they are because it is who they are. Just sticking with them and continuing the positive reinforcement will be rewarded hugely in the future. Good luck and keep up the hard work. She deserves you and all you give her.
Us2Folk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe I missed it, but have you considered getting involved in some sort of activity with her? I understand her fears, and I understand the whole BYB bit, and respect it.

Maybe the dog needs something to build her confidence. Agility comes to mind. All that running, jumping, and positive training would have to help her.

IMO, it sounds as if both of you need some play time. I noticed how much you enjoyed seeing her play with the vacuum.

Do you train her? Play mind games, etc...?
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
I am sorry your dog has these issues, I often hear these dogs were abused, but I really think its more of a genetic issue in conjunction with poor breeding and social deprivation. I often see people who have great dogs or new pups that want people to look at their pedigrees. I really think that people who have dogs with these severe temperament issues should seek information and research on the pedigrees of these dogs so that people can be informed of where some of these pitfalls are. That would help these owners and others make better decisions when they get the next dog.jmo
That is so spot on!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
Maybe I missed it, but have you considered getting involved in some sort of activity with her? I understand her fears, and I understand the whole BYB bit, and respect it.

Maybe the dog needs something to build her confidence. Agility comes to mind. All that running, jumping, and positive training would have to help her.

IMO, it sounds as if both of you need some play time. I noticed how much you enjoyed seeing her play with the vacuum.

Do you train her? Play mind games, etc...?
Yep we have done activities before, and we both really loved it. It didn't affect her confidence one way or another, but it was insanely fun. I want to get into agility, but the closest one is about an hour away and is pretty pricey. I'm moving in a year so that may change though.

Oh we play mind games all the time. That's her favorite thing. I do a ton of training with her too (took 6 months off due to heart worms, but we're getting back in the swing of things slowly but surely). I live alone, just me and her, so we're constantly finding ways to entertain ourselves. I'm actually trying to work on "are you shy" currently. Should be fun.

I think I made it sound like I'm at a loss as to what to do with her. I'm not. She and I are what we are now; it's just more of a....well I guess you want the best for your "kids" and for me that means that I wish she would have had better genetics and better early socialization (I didn't get her until she was two and those first two years were not good years for her apparently). I can't have that, but raising awareness and making people see the real examples as to why backyard breeding is a problem is what I'm trying to do here. You can tell people it's tough to have a nervy dog until you're blue in the face, but I've found people don't get it until they have real life examples.

I agree with what others have said about the genetic/lack of socialization aspect. That was more what I was going for here.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudy View Post
I am sorry, you area great mom, my suggestion for the future, tie the end of the long lead to something, still go out with her but have the lead securely attached to something strong, even holding the lead it can be pulled from our hands and we can be pulled off the steps, nothing worse than all the links of dogs lost that I share on facebook, dogs who ran cause something spooked them and they got away
Yes, that was my bad. Like I said, she's normally pretty chill at night. What I do a lot of times (and this goes against everything I learned growing up on the farm lol) is I'll loop her leash through the handle so that she'd basically have to rip off my hand to get away (though I've never had her pull anywhere near hard enough to really hurt, and she's pulled pretty hard before). I was just tired last night and got to go for a jog for my laziness.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieShepherdGirl View Post
... It's not just about the people that are going to have to deal with these dogs, I'd deal with anything just so she could have a good life and never look back, but it's about the dogs too. She doesn't deserve to live like this, and I know her fear isn't even as bad as some.
This is spot on!

Poorly bred dogs don't deserve the problems they are born with.

Since we can't (or won't) legislate who can be a breeder we have to EDUCATE those that want to be owners.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

While there is certainly an issue with over population, we are label happy, egoistical society-not every puppy in the paper is from a "backyard breeder" nor will all of them have health or mental issues. Many canine issues actually arises from the enviroment that they are kept in.
deldridge72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deldridge72 View Post
While there is certainly an issue with over population, we are label happy, egoistical society-not every puppy in the paper is from a "backyard breeder" nor will all of them have health or mental issues. Many canine issues actually arises from the enviroment that they are kept in.
What label happy, egotistical? that our society only purchases branded and labeled items? Yes. would you open a business without a name and sell your product without any background? Would you even purchase a product without knowing what it was, where it came from, who made it? I would hope that the same goes for dog breeders.
Not every puppy in the paper may be from a backyard breeder, they may well be hobby breeders or very experienced ones, and the truth is, the chances are if you listing your dog in the classifieds... well I listed my couch in the classifieds once. It wasn't a very good couch.
Dogs are adaptable. If the dog is living a healthy life style and has no wires crossed, I can not imagine many issues appearing. But I have been wrong before.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.