Frightened dog, vet says breeding will help her? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

oh, my....no words other than asking who is your vet???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am going to go a little further. This is probably genetic weak nerves. Sound sensitivity can be passed onto her puppies. You really do not want people who have puppies you sold or gave them to call you and tell you they are having this trouble or worse troubles with their puppy.

Do not believe that some fireworks on NewYear's caused this. German Shepherd Dogs should be capable of working within a war zone. A two year old bitch should not be so flighty that she cannot recover from some loud noises. A reaction is ok, but they should recover right away. For her to then be afraid of going outside, that is I think, indicative of weak nerves, which will be handed down to her progeny but it might manifest itself in several undesirable ways. Sound sensitivity and fear of storms being just one of them.

You may want to inform your breeder of this problem as well.

Genetic weak nerves cannot be cured, not completely, but they can be managed and things can improve. A trainer may be able to help. Building her confidence may be helpful. I think managing the environment and avoiding the loud noises might be helpful at least for a period of time, and then go slow. Try to do things matter-of-factly with her, and not coddle her about going out, but if you can tweak things to avoid things she is having problems with for a couple of weeks it might be helpful to get a break.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can't believe a veterinarian recommended this. Wow.

There are about a million reasons NOT to breed this dog, but here are three:

1. It will not have the intended effect. In fact, it may make her behavior worse.

2. What are you supposed to do with the puppies? Find good homes for all of them? A GSD bitch can have up to 10+ pups in a litter, what if you can't find them all homes? Keep them? Take them to a shelter?

3. Your female's temperament is mainly genetic, and can be passed down to her puppies. So you could see pups with the same behavior issues that she has--which, as you know, is heartbreaking. Who would want to bring more of that heartbreak into the world?

And the vet should have told you the dangers of breeding and whelping a litter!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I will add my voice to the chorus of others saying WOW you have GOT to be kidding!

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think I would have to directly question your vet on exactly where he attained his education. That is by far the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

A dog doesn't typically remember something that happened that long ago, they don't mull it over the way we do. She probably can't associate quiet with an outrageous burst of noise and usually light. Whether this fireworks incident spun her out into her fear/anxiety issue is debatable but since the issue exists it needs to be addressed through training/conditioning, exposure and if necessary medication. Everything but breeding this dog so that all of her potentially neurotic puppies end up in shelters and being euthanized. Find a new vet, find a good trainer or good group obedience class where the trainer/assistants will work with you and her for as much as she will tolerate, expose her to as many situations as you can control for her to feel safe and able to deal with and to keep everyone else safe. These dogs are really resilient and a lot is possible with them but it often takes a lot of work. Good luck to both of you, her life depends on it.
Kath & Clan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

While I am not usually one to jump on the "find a new vet" bandwagon, his suggestion to breed your dog so she becomes aggressive instead of fearful is so ludicrously asinine, I am going to echo the sentiment.

FIND A NEW VET!

This advice isn't some of the usual stupid junk I hear, this is downright DANGEROUS. Heinously horrific.

Strauss: Service dog/old man
Wesson: The soon to be champion
Loch: Service dog in training
Barrett: The Frikken Tikken
Xeph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She shouldn't be bred.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
My Lucy is two and she went under a stress a year ago. Misfortune brought us too close to the fireworks during New Year and, I suppose, in her imagination she was terrified of it ever since even when it is silent. She refuses to step outside with the coming dark (but only dark time of the day), scared of any loud sound, she stops and watches the sky for bright objects every five minutes, she's shivering, may piss herself if at home. We tried training sound recordings, anti-stress vitamins and calming drugs, aromatherapy, massage and less popular treatment as performing commands under stress. She is obedient, but I'm ready to shed tears seeing my dog like this. My dog's vet has suggested to mate her, he says that in such circumstance her fright may turn into agression when she has pups and she might become calmer after, simply knowing what to protect - her home, her place to give birth. Should we listen to his advise? It will be difficult, because we do not have facilities to raise puppies.
What calming elements did you use?

Did you use commands under stress under suggestion by a behaviourist? perhaps conditioned this accidently?

What drugs, vitamins, and aromatherapy did you use?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

fright may turn into agression --- how many threads have we got on this forum that deal with fear aggression and the impact on the owners

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.