People need to stop breeding!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default People need to stop breeding!!

Back yard breeding that is. I'm getting so irritated. I browse Craigslist for potential posts to flag or people who need real help. They are filled with pit bull, german shepherd and husky puppies. Every day. With pictures of parents chained up, moms with mastitis, puppies with bellies full of worms, selling at 4 weeks. It's awful. And guess what the shelters are full of? Pits, shepherds & huskies. If your dogs aren't registered, titled & simply amazing. DON'T BREED THEM. And stop leaving your unaltered female in the back yard with your unaltered male and acting shocked by your "surprise" litter of shepherd/lab/maltipoo mutts.

Rant over. Had to get that out. Whew :/

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Why, are you surprised that this keeps happening? A close person to me gave me this sage advice after I neutered my boy.
"Why didn't you send in his DNA and get him AKC cert to breed him make your money back?"
"Would you do that with your dogs?"
"People have offered and if someone paid me yes"
"Good thing they mandate a spay/neuter, idiot"

His dogs are absolute mutts from the pound. My supposed pure GSD is from a pet shop. Neither of us have any pedigree information not that it would matter.

Last edited by jae; 01-11-2013 at 11:23 AM.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks for flagging those CL ads. I do it too.

The worst of the worst was some moron who emailed me about A SHELTER DOG I was advertising to ask if she could pay double the shelter's adoption fee in order to adopt her without spaying, so that she could use her for breeding, since the dog was a pretty red-and-black with attractive coloring. My head nearly exploded.

The second-worst was some "really good" local breeder (NOT) who pressured an older lady whose dog had just died tragically to pay $300 for an ultra-fearful 18-month-old dog that had been his runt, and thus gone unsold as a puppy, and had lived totally unsocialized in a outdoor pen, in the heat and humidity of South Louisiana -- he threatened the woman that if she didn't make a decision right way, he was going to sell that dog to another breeder who would make some money off her. The older lady felt like she had to pay the money to "rescue" this poor dog. She's had to put more time and money into its rehab than is required for the average shelter dog. She was, quite simply, ripped off. At least she spayed the dog though. I don't doubt that dog is better off with her, as she's a great owner; she sure did make it worth the breeder's worthwhile to continue these practices though.

And "Christmas Litters" -- one of my biggest pet peeves with local breeders who plan these litters to make a quick buck. Sell a cute fluffy puppy, without regard to who the recipient will be, because it's an emotional holiday gift--without a care in the world to the number of them who will land in shelters because the recipient doesn't want the dog. GRRRR.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Craigslist is great for some things, but it also makes my blood boil when I read the "pet" section. Sometimes I just have to stop myself from reading, for my own sanity. Just today someone posted this:

SIBERIAN HUSKY STUD

"PUREBRED SIBERIAN HUSKY
BLACK/WHITE WITH BLUE EYES
UPTD ON SHOTS
MICROCHIPPED
HEALTHY AND PLAYFUL

STUD FEE: $100 INCLUDING 1 PICK FROM LITTER"

Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You might want to re-word the title of this thread-maybe?
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What you mean is, people need to stop buying.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think you are ranting on the wrong forum. I would suspect that most if not all members here are responsible pet owners. I hear your message but I'm not in your target audience.
pfitzpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae View Post
Why, are you surprised that this keeps happening? A close person to me gave me this sage advice after I neutered my boy.
"Why didn't you send in his DNA and get him AKC cert to breed him make your money back?"
"Would you do that with your dogs?"
"People have offered and if someone paid me yes"
"Good thing they mandate a spay/neuter, idiot"

His dogs are absolute mutts from the pound. My supposed pure GSD is from a pet shop. Neither of us have any pedigree information not that it would matter.
This is why the "should I neuter/spay my animal" threads kill me on this forum. People start giving advice to not do it without any regard for who the person is that's asking. And their usual reasons for this is to make sure the dog fills out and then some unproven medical claims. No one thinks about the fact that although they are being responsible now, 2 years down the line someone might come up to them and ask them for a stud service, offer to pay $500 to $1000 for their beautiful shepherds to mate, and that person might just say yes. Sorry, even to me an easy $1000 paycheck where the only work done is by my dog sounds great, and if I didn't care as much as I do about the pet overpopulation problem it would be something that I would consider.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfitzpa1 View Post
I think you are ranting on the wrong forum. I would suspect that most if not all members here are responsible pet owners. I hear your message but I'm not in your target audience.
I'm ranting to you (you as in, the board) because I know the people here understand my frustrations. Obviously the people here are responsible pet owners

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Craig's list has a forum. Your Rant would be well served there.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.