People need to stop breeding!! - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy323 View Post
Because of this concept of "designer breeds", how it's been marketed by bybs with marketing savvy, got the concept out there, and trickled down to the scummiest bybs. I have a friend who has a something-or-another-doodle, that she paid $600 for. I remember after she got it, she was telling me and my other friend, whose family has a darn pretty decent history in breeding and confirmation, about it and like WE were crazy that we didn't know about "designer breeds".

Go back a page in this thread and you'll find my link for an "organization" that "legitimizes" these " designer breeds". And I agree with you - you want a mix, GO ADOPT.
Designer breeds are irritating. Its GLORIFYING the worst of BYBs IMO. Taking two most likely unpapered dogs of seperate breeds and breeding them to make a ____poo. And now that they have the name "designer" so people think they're Hollywood standard. Its a mix breed, just like most poor helpless shelter dogs who deserve good homes, with a fancy name. And people think they're different..
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The labradoodle was not supposed to become the fad dog. It was bred for service and then was exploited.

I had a mix of border collie and golden retriever and she was by far one of the nicest dogs I've ever had....best of both breeds in one body. But it wasn't a planned breeding, and I'd never support or pay for a designer mutt.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I once had a woman ask what kind of mongrels I was walking ( my parent's dogs) while i was soakingspeaking to someone else about them being pound puppies.. When i said "A huskitador retriever and beagluskymation" she completely changed her tune about them. Funny how a name that flows together and is a mixture of the breeds in the dog can change a person's mind so much.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
The labradoodle was not supposed to become the fad dog. It was bred for service and then was exploited.

I had a mix of border collie and golden retriever and she was by far one of the nicest dogs I've ever had....best of both breeds in one body. But it wasn't a planned breeding, and I'd never support or pay for a designer mutt.
My fiance has a pit/boxer mix and he is just lazy and sweet. (He's aggressive towards the things he has such as food or toys) but over all he's as sweet as can be.

He also had a GSD/ something mix and he was beautiful and the best dog I've ever seen. A personality that could change moods..they were both rescued from the shelter. I would only get a mix from the shelter so I know my funds are helping other helpless animals.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Have you even considered the OP might have posted this simply because she was frustrated at the practice and that this was, what she considered to be, a safe place to do that?
My goodness -please tell me now before I trip up and d the same thing!

Instead, I would have thought people would have commiserated and maybe suggest how she could educate those perusing Craigslist for a 'pure bred' of the moral and genetic pitfalls of buying from a breeder that hasn't been researched.

At least THAT would be constructive.

The last board I visits with this current of poorly concealed hostility was the breast feeding support board!
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivagirl View Post
Title drew me in. I didn't take this as a 'preaching to the choir' post....or a preaching to anyone post. In my opinion, if you can't vent here with people who understand where you're coming from, then where CAN you vent?!
Totally agree with this post. Given recent posts on this forum, I have no doubt that this is the sentiment the OP posted from. Relax people... the OP simply started a thread to vent some frustration based on some recent threads.

Now, if I had started this thread, you probably would have all hated me because I would have suggested a much higher standard for ANY breeding than most of you would be comfortable with. But, I didn't and won't because I know the audience here.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfitzpa1 View Post
Let me add, you are correct (and I 100% agree) not everyone who posts on here is capable of managing their intact dog. For the most part, any owner who realizes this too late, generally will neuter/spay their dog after the first litter. We all, even the good intentioned ones, can make mistakes. However I bet that even those owners that had good intentions, probably made sure that the litter was placed well and not dumped.

This forum, to me, is an excellent resource for all things GSD and I would hate to see sound advice/opinion drowned out by generic save the doggie world rhetoric.
Actually...I don't believe that to be true. We do get plenty of people on here that post about how they want to breed their dog and are looking for a stud/female. 99% of those, you will not change their minds. You can just read it in their posts/reactions after people start asking why. They're going to do it no matter what people say. But there is one every once in a while that "sees the light" and realizes their decision is misguided. We actually just had one recently. I usually don't chime into those discussions...but it is a really fun time monitoring the posts and the discussion that ensues. I did chime in once and had the guy try to rip apart my dog because his dog was so much better. Just proved how little he knew about GSDs as he was taking a 4 month old, gangly picture of my boy and using that as his basis thinking that that's what my dog looked like now. After that guy realized he wasn't going to find what he was looking for on this forum, he just decided to buy a female and he was going to do what he wanted anyways.

But even the "good intentioned ones" you're talking about. Isn't 1 litter...1 litter too many? That's 10 dogs, that hopefully find good homes, but are then in the hands of people that might just make the same mistake their "breeder" did. So even if 2 of those people have an accident, that's 20 more puppies...and it just goes on and on. And when you're talking about 10 dogs, possibly they're placed in good homes and not returned, but the chances of 20 dogs being placed in homes where they won't end up in a shelter are very small. And on top of that you can throw in the fact that you're hoping the puppies do have good temperament and aren't problems. If they have problems, more of them might just end up in shelters.

These dogs aren't going to go to the most knowledgeable of homes. The homes where the dogs will get what they need depending on their drives. I went to what would be considered a BYB on this board. I got lucky, have an amazing dog, my whole GSD club raves about him and I have gotten many requests recently to see his pedigree as some people are considering breeding to him. I'm embarrassed of his pedigree...I know its not the greatest, and I know when people look at it they will probably not want to breed to him anymore (and I have no issue with that).

But here's the truth, he's intact, and if someone I respect comes to me with a female I like and I believe (along with other people at the club) that they would make some solid puppies. I'd have an extremely hard time saying no. In my heart of hearts I believe my boy has no business making puppies when I look at his pedigree, but when I see him work and I see his temperament compared to the other dogs around him that are being bred, I don't really have an issue with it and do believe he should have his genes passed on. I'm also someone that trains/trials/learns about the breed, and not just someone who has bought a puppy, thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bred because it learned sit within 5 minutes, and now decided I need to breed it because no other dog in the world has that ability.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivagirl View Post
Title drew me in. I didn't take this as a 'preaching to the choir' post....or a preaching to anyone post. In my opinion, if you can't vent here with people who understand where you're coming from, then where CAN you vent?!
Thank u!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

WHEW! I took the title to mean that the OP was against the populaqtion growth of the world in general!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
WHEW! I took the title to mean that the OP was against the populaqtion growth of the world in general!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol no!! I love responsible, ethical and intelligent breeders. Of the furry and the bald ones

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.