People need to stop breeding!! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have a female CH, TEC, ( CAn GS temperment evaluation, HIC, almost ready for titles, OFA hips and elbows, her litter mate is entered in Westminster, and I spayed her, the ranting from so many was intense, I did things with her for fun and tests for the breeder, I couldn't believe the people who were nasty she wasn't bred, She is breed worthy but I am not a breeder, and spayed she is still a great pet and we continue playing at things...She is ready for CDX but my health is preventing our entering. She never had a litter.

Not all dogs need to be bred, not all people should breed, there is a lot of work involved, there are crazy people who wish to buy and may be irresponsible. I wish more people would think clearer
trudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I realize that all sounds horribly jaded and judgmental, but it really isn't personal. I don't care whether people keep their pets intact, as long as they don't allow any unwanted litters.

But I don't think it's wise to automatically assume that every person who posts here will be capable of that.
Look, this is a forum that is for the most part populated by people who just want the best for their dogs. The ones who decide to breed are basically folks who are determined to breed no matter what. Your post favoring the "neuter now" are not going to make any (or little) difference on this forum. What most "serious" GSD owners want (and I believe that most GSD owners on here are serious GSD owners) is insight, advice, voice of experience etc.

If "you" cannot assume that this forum is targeted and frequented by "serious" GSD owners, then this forum (for you), is no different than a craigslist forum.

I come here to read experienced advice on the raising of my GSD. I don't care whether I'm a first time poster or a multiple poster, I want fair and balanced opinions.
pfitzpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfitzpa1 View Post
Look, this is a forum that is for the most part populated by people who just want the best for their dogs. The ones who decide to breed are basically folks who are determined to breed no matter what. Your post favoring the "neuter now" are not going to make any (or little) difference on this forum. What most "serious" GSD owners want (and I believe that most GSD owners on here are serious GSD owners) is insight, advice, voice of experience etc.

If "you" cannot assume that this forum is targeted and frequented by "serious" GSD owners, then this forum (for you), is no different than a craigslist forum.

I come here to read experienced advice on the raising of my GSD. I don't care whether I'm a first time poster or a multiple poster, I want fair and balanced opinions.
Let me add, you are correct (and I 100% agree) not everyone who posts on here is capable of managing their intact dog. For the most part, any owner who realizes this too late, generally will neuter/spay their dog after the first litter. We all, even the good intentioned ones, can make mistakes. However I bet that even those owners that had good intentions, probably made sure that the litter was placed well and not dumped.

This forum, to me, is an excellent resource for all things GSD and I would hate to see sound advice/opinion drowned out by generic save the doggie world rhetoric.
pfitzpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Craig's list has a forum. Your Rant would be well served there.
But would it really? I mean....maybe I'm cynical, but I am greatly of the opinion that people hear what they want to hear. People these days are so used to hearing: "the truth is subjective," "whatever you want to believe is ok because you believe it which makes it valid," and that inherently makes people seek out what they already believe to be true, anything else is rejected. I think the majority of people who frequent a Craig's list forum wouldn't give two hoots about what some random person who disagrees with them thinks.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

I know I've posted this, but I'd like to add my annoyance..

O was non craigslist looking for a dog crate to see how cheap I could find one. And everyone is specifically asking for mix breeds? I want a Pitt mix or a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix puppy. Why can't people just go to the humane society and get a nice homeless mix breed. They have a website and you can go in any day of the week and I'm sure you'll find a dog with part of the mix you want. Sorry, it was just frustrating
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
What you mean is, people need to stop buying.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are two sides to every coin....on the one hand it is noble(???) to assume that new folks need to be informed of what they should or should not do, sometimes independent of the question they are asking; on the other hand there are many knowledgable people who aren't hardly posting anymore because of not wanting to debate with the puritanical element. So for the folks who need to be directed( and will accept the advice regardless of tact or content)...this is good. For others here to learn, maybe not as great. If at the end of the day both sides of the coin are irritated at perceived rude and tactless advice....then we are left with the preacher preaching to the choir instead of the congregation....maybe that's the way it ought to be....lol
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
I agree with this. I am am average pet owner. I will never neuter my boy (unless its a medical issue). He is never out of my sight. I never plan to breed because he is unregistered, unpapered, and unpedigreed. I will never allow a situation in which he can escape, or one where he could breed (unless he is in my house I have eyes on him at all times.) I am very responsible in this area of my dog. Last thing I want is more puppies that never had a chance in the shelter.
You are NOT the average pet owner. An average pet owner is not part of an online forum because they love their dog/breed. Unfortunately we are the minority. The majority of people should have their pets spayed and neutered because they can't or won't take the steps needed to adequately prevent an "oops" litter.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Title drew me in. I didn't take this as a 'preaching to the choir' post....or a preaching to anyone post. In my opinion, if you can't vent here with people who understand where you're coming from, then where CAN you vent?!
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
I know I've posted this, but I'd like to add my annoyance..

O was non craigslist looking for a dog crate to see how cheap I could find one. And everyone is specifically asking for mix breeds? I want a Pitt mix or a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix puppy. Why can't people just go to the humane society and get a nice homeless mix breed. They have a website and you can go in any day of the week and I'm sure you'll find a dog with part of the mix you want. Sorry, it was just frustrating
Because of this concept of "designer breeds", how it's been marketed by bybs with marketing savvy, got the concept out there, and trickled down to the scummiest bybs. I have a friend who has a something-or-another-doodle, that she paid $600 for. I remember after she got it, she was telling me and my other friend, whose family has a darn pretty decent history in breeding and confirmation, about it and like WE were crazy that we didn't know about "designer breeds".

Go back a page in this thread and you'll find my link for an "organization" that "legitimizes" these " designer breeds". And I agree with you - you want a mix, GO ADOPT.
Lucy323 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.