Why won't my twins go into heat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why won't my twins go into heat?

My girls are 11 months old and never gone into heat! Is this normal? My breeder told me to expect it around 6 - 9 months! Should I be concerned?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kristindsullivan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

Lots of bitches don't come in until a year or after

Strauss: Service dog/old man
Wesson: The soon to be champion
Loch: Service dog in training
Barrett: The Frikken Tikken
Xeph is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Each female is different. When her body is ready, she will come into heat. Just like little human girls, everyone is different.
It will happen.
wyominggrandma is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Be prepared to deal with two siblings potentially in heat at the same time... it can get really, really ugly, really, really quick. Most breeders will not sell siblings to the same home for this reason. Keep a good crate-and-rotate strategy ready!
LoveEcho is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys! Echo - I didn't get them from a "breeder"! My friend owns mom and her mom owns dad! Mom had 8 and she was too small to handle it! She quit nursing after 5 weeks and my friend got very overwhelmed! So I took 2 of them! Sweetest girls ever though! My twins should do fine if they have big litters because they are huge like their daddy! We do, however, only intend to breed one at a time! That is mostly because one of them broke her hind leg at 12 weeks old and needed surgery! We want to make sure her leg is fully grown and strong before she adds the weight of babies! Her sister will go first!

Kristindsullivan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristindsullivan View Post
Thanks guys! Echo - I didn't get them from a "breeder"! My friend owns mom and her mom owns dad! Mom had 8 and she was too small to handle it! She quit nursing after 5 weeks and my friend got very overwhelmed! So I took 2 of them! Sweetest girls ever though! My twins should do fine if they have big litters because they are huge like their daddy! We do, however, only intend to breed one at a time! That is mostly because one of them broke her hind leg at 12 weeks old and needed surgery! We want to make sure her leg is fully grown and strong before she adds the weight of babies! Her sister will go first!

Dare I even get the ball rolling....

When are you planning on breeding the first girl?

Do you have a link to their pedigrees?

Do you have a link to the OFA page displaying the results of their health tests?

Out of curiosity, of course...

Are you active in any dog sports? Conformation?
N Smith is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just feel a need to mention this to you, OP:
Litter mates are not recommended, especially two females. If they go into heat and decide they no longer like one another, they WILL fight. And females fight to kill.
It is also possible the first girl will attack the other to "defend" her puppies. And it is just as possible for her to decide they are in danger and kill them herself (as well as for her not to react to her sister and the sister to kill the puppies).
What will you do if your dog needs a c-section?

Any of this can happen. None of it may occur. But do you have solid plans in case they do???

Also, if your friend BRED the dogs to get puppies that makes her a breeder. If you breed your girls, even once, that also makes you a breeder.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What are the parents titled in? What are their OFA ratings? Why were they bred?

What do you plan on doing with your girls? What sort of arenas do you train or show in? Where do you plan on finding a stud?

My warnings about two female siblings, especially in tact, and especially who may go into heat at the same time, is not to be taken lightly. My point in saying that breeders will not place them together is because it is more often than not (especially with females) VERY dangerous and can lead to lethal fighting. If you bring puppies into the mix and pregnancy hormones... that takes it up even another notch.
LoveEcho is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Neither girl should be bred before they are fully mature and have at least their hips/elbows certified with OFA if in the USA. That will make them some where around 26 months. This is a minimum requirement for any dog being bred. Don't be in a hurry.

Most dogs don't nurse their pups full time past 4-4.5 weeks at which time the breeder will start to supplement the milk with some type of solid food. This is when the real work begins whether the bitch has 2 puppies or 12. Puppies should not leave the litter or the breeder until 8 weeks and, yup, it is a lot of work. Lots of poop. Lots of pee. Time spent playing with the puppies, feeding puppies, cleaning puppies, imprinting puppies, cleaning puppies, feeding puppies, playing, cleaning, feeding.............. This is what is best for the puppies and their future owners. Please, if you are not willing to put in this time, then don't breed.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristindsullivan View Post
Sweetest girls ever though!
My first two GSD girls were best of friends. Neke was about 2 years old than Tessa and they would play and eat and sleep together. Then Tessa had her first season and everything changed.

I came home from work and it looked like someone had filmed a slasher movie in my living room. Furniture overturned, curtains ripped off the windows and blood splattered EVERYWHERE!!

I found Tessa cowering behind the overturn sofa and Neke sitting in the kitchen. Tessa had to go to the vet and ended up with multiple bite wounds - several that needed drains. It took her a couple weeks to completely heal.

I never in a million years would have thought anything like that would happen between them.

There's a saying in the dog world - Males fight for breeding rights; females fight for BREATHING rights.

Please be prepared.

As for breeding them - please make sure you at LEAST get their hips and elbows certified by either OFA or PennHip so that you are not passing along problems to the people that purchase your puppies.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.